S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Less advanve = more EG pressure at manifold = more boost?  (Read 1387 times)

February 23, 2009, 06:44:18 am

molgrips

• Junior

Less advanve = more EG pressure at manifold = more boost?
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:18 am »
I have been messing with the dynamic advance - I removed the spring loaded valve thing, tapped it all the way out and tapped it in gradually, between trips, to see the difference; I'm trying to make the car smoother.  At first I lost loads of power and driveability, but I think now I'm in a position just shy of where it was before, and there's almost as much power as there was.

The thing is, before I had a bit of exhaust smoke under full load - now I don't see any, and I haven't touched the fuel screw.  So I am thinking with a bit less advance, the expansion of the exhaust gas isn't quite complete when it exits the valve..?  This then would mean more pressure at the exhaust manifold and hence more boost, which would mean more air for the same fuel and ultimately less smoke?

Or am I raving?

I suppose it could be that I've just happened upon a more optimum boost setting.  I'm gonna permanently install my boost gague, pick up one of those cheap EGTs and fit a pressure gague to the IP to see what's going on - when I get round to it :)

1994 Passat 1.9 TD Estate, 180k miles, running on veg oil