S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Just Bought this... Any advice  (Read 2964 times)

March 22, 2009, 06:28:02 am

Tomson

Just Bought this... Any advice
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:02 am »
Hi All,

I have just secured this engine for my mk1 Caddy.

AAZ Engine Package (GTD Bits) - S
Engine – 89k mileage (Unwarranted) out of a SEAT Toledo, GTD Intercooler with pipes and mk2 mounting brackets (Need to modify to use them in a mk1 bay), 2.5” Stainless down pipe, GTD turbo instead of smaller AAZ one, Boost Gauge, New gaskets (Including head and sump), new cam belt, new glow plugs, freshly painted head and block, 5 speed gearbox. The belt cover etc has already been modified for mk1’s.
Also included but not on the lump are: GTD Clocks (I have 2 sets), Alternator with W terminal for the tacho, GTD pump and GTD injectors.

I am going to get a local firm to install the engine for me.

I have already purchased a 5 speed linkage and gearbox mount and am on the lookout for some 100mm driveshafts.

I have a couple of questions;

Based on the above spec, is there anything I should do (in terms of tuning) before I get them to install?  Basically things that are easier to do with the engine out.

The engine includes a GTD intercooler; I’ve heard that these are a pain to install into Mk1's.  Should I get them to try and make it fit?  Or does anyone recommend selling the GTD intercooler and buying another unit.  Again I've heard that Merc sprinter items are good?

Finally I need to get an exhaust made to suit the downpipe.  Should I keep it 2.5" all the way?  How many boxes do people recommend?  I don't want a particularly loud exhaust note, more subtle than loud.  Also I want it all hidden.  Anyone recommend an exhaust company to fabricate this, or shall I just get it done locally (based in Cheltenham)?

Looking for as many ponies as possible, so I would also like any recommendations of any tuning company/individual who could help me to get the best possible out of the above once it was installed.  Preferably as close as possible to Gloucestershire/Bristol/Birmingham area.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking forward to some diesel power.

Cheers,

Tomson
 :twisted:

Reply #1March 22, 2009, 07:45:51 am

stewardc

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:45:51 am »
That's a greast find, and a bolt-in. If you're going to intercool, you might want to relocate the battery to the bed, or behind the passenger seat. It sure frees up a lot of usable room.
I personally would get a Giles pump...it's worth it. As for the exhaust, 2.5" is just fine, as long as you have a good downpipe (mine is 3"). I used a large Magnaflow muffler and the sound is great.
Good luck. You're going to love it.

Reply #2March 22, 2009, 08:36:51 am

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:36:51 am »
Post your location please.  From your post I assume you are in England.  We may have members here who have done the same or similar things and are located close to you.
What turbo do you have?
Sounds like a good complete package.  Add some pictures so we can see.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #3March 22, 2009, 09:55:27 am

Tomson

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:55:27 am »
I am in Cheltenham, Gloucester***e, England.

Reply #4March 22, 2009, 09:59:38 am

Tomson

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:59:38 am »
As for the turbo, I know it is from the Golf Mk2 GTD.  I am collecting the engine on Tuesday so i can update the spec the.

Thanks,

Tom

Fixmyvw.com