Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: HID kit  (Read 7175 times)

Reply #30August 07, 2009, 12:28:20 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Re: HID kit
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 12:28:20 am »
Relays with big, dedicated wires powering the lights, use your original wiring to control the relays.
E-code light assemblies are a must whatever you do. The US market Vanagon has the worst lights I've ever seen on a modern vehicle...I replaced them with Euro rounds (H4s and city marker bulbs) with relayed power, and they are absolutely brilliant, with a nice sharp cutoff, important in a light that is 4 feet off the ground. ;)
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #31August 07, 2009, 12:45:02 am

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 12:45:02 am »
yeah but the article says Hid bulbs in Halogen lamps = no no doesnt it?

or are E-codes HID lamps?

HID's have to be put in Ecodes(European) or Projectors. Not DOT (North American) headlights.

The reason for this has to do with the way the light project their light. Ecodes have a shield that prevents the light from going directly forward. Instead, the only light coming from the headlamp is the light that is being reflected off of the reflective coating inside. DOT headlights do not have this shield.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Reply #32August 07, 2009, 08:16:46 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 08:16:46 am »
I'll have to snap some shots of the relay job I did on the Quantum, I'm rather proud of it. Dedicated power, dedicated ground, and short wiring runs for each.

I'm stuck with stock sealed beams until I can free up some more cash (Come on, semester start! Bring my money back in!), but the relays are mounted beside the headlight pair each feeds, so I didn't have to loop away or cut up the stock wiring. I bent up some little sheet metal shields to keep water and dirt from getting in them, and they're not stuffed up somewhere where there is no air circulation to keep them cool so they should last a long time.

S-PAutomotive.com