S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Carbotech brake pads for Rabbit on their way  (Read 5561 times)

July 29, 2005, 02:59:55 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Carbotech brake pads for Rabbit on their way
« on: July 29, 2005, 02:59:55 pm »
I've heard very good things about Carbotech brake pads from a few folks in autocross racing circles who have done various pad tests on their older VWs, and I have now finally decided to try out a set (or rather, a front pair.)  These will be going on dad's Rabbit 1.6lVNTD daily driver, which could use a brake upgrade to go with its new level of engine zest.

My primary goal is to reduce pedal effort by switching to a higher friction coefficient pad with "streetable" temperature range and manners, while maintaining the stock, lightweight, 9.4" non-vented rotors.  It looks like Carbotech's "Bobcat" compound fits the bill.  Here is its description:

Carbotech Bobcat (1521), the much anticipated replacement for our heralded Super Street F. Like our Panther line of compounds, Bobcat is a ceramic based friction material offering practically zero rotor damage. Bobcat offers outstanding performance when cold, very low dusting, and low noise with an excellent initial bite. Friction coefficient is .45 over it’s operating range of ambient temp to 900F. Bobcat is suitable for street, SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo applications. Bobcat is not recommended for on-track driving schools or club racing.

I'll report here on how the pad turns out.

Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #1August 08, 2005, 10:55:54 am

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:55:54 am »
Interesting... I hadn't seen that compound before.  FWIW, I used the Carbotech's (race/fast street compound) on my FSP rabbit with success.  They're pretty harsh on the rotors and they're somewhat dusty, but I found them to be very effective when they had heat in them.

For the price, (around $90 a few years ago) I'm not sure I'll go with them again though.  I think the Mintex/Ferrodo/MetalMaster type variety do just fine for me for around half the cost.   Maybe these Carbotechs would be a nice compromise as well...
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #2August 08, 2005, 11:08:08 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 11:08:08 am »
Did you use the Carbotech Kelated Metallic AKA "mean green" pads?  I've heard good things about them, (I heard besides being nice and grabby and working well when cold, they wear well too) but they are no longer available.  Only pads available now are the Bobcat (their high-po street /autox pad) and their Panther line (for sustained higher speed applications like time trials and road racing).
Jake Russell

Reply #3August 08, 2005, 12:29:14 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 12:29:14 pm »
Not sure if the ones I have are the "mean green" ones or not, but I remember that I bought them from Autotech around three years ago.  

They were advertised as being kelated carbon-kevlar.  I made sure they were not "track only" pads and that they were suitable for autox.  They were indeed "Carbotechs" but if I remember right, they came in a Mintex box.  Does that sound right?  I thought Carbotech was the brand name, but I could be mistaken...

FWIW, they're still on the car and I've used them on the street.  I'll probably switch them out soon, so I'll definitely be able to provide some sort of comparison.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #4August 08, 2005, 01:19:13 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 01:19:13 pm »
The Mintex box and a purchase through autotech sound fishy (AFAIK, Carbotech only sells direct).  I see that mintex make a pad called "C-TECH", which are sold by autotech.  They are also pricey little numbers like Carbotechs.  Could those be the pads you have?
http://www.autotech.com/catalog/ctech.htm
Jake Russell

Reply #5August 08, 2005, 02:14:32 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 02:14:32 pm »
Ah...Yes.  Very well could be those same pads.  They did come from Autotech, but I don't really recognize the compound names.  Maybe I'm confusing the two brands...  If that's the case, then I have the kind that's similar to the first compound.
81 Caddy TD
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #6August 23, 2005, 07:16:43 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 07:16:43 pm »
Jake, how are those pads working for you?
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #7August 24, 2005, 12:20:11 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 12:20:11 am »
The carbotechs arrived, but the brake pad upgrade/test is on the back burner for the moment.  They will be going into dad's Rabbit VNTD, and in that car we just re-ringed the motor and we're still focused on breaking the new rings in and monitoring oil consumption and engine health, etc.  Basically been preoccupied and will continue to be for a little longer.  But hopefully we'll try the carbotechs out within the next couple weeks.

They sure don't look like anything special, except perhaps a bit homemade, and also the "nontraditional" pad bedding instructions they came with were also interesting.  I noticed the inside and outside pads were the same, but the stock pads were different on the inside versus the outside.  But it does look like they probably will work.  I'll post here when I give them a try.
Jake Russell

S-PAutomotive.com