Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: heated seat upgrade in my caddy. need wireing info.  (Read 2150 times)

December 28, 2008, 11:48:12 am

madrogers

• Junior

heated seat upgrade in my caddy. need wireing info.
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:48:12 am »
Good Day , I have a 91 jetta w/heated seats. I would like to put in my 83 caddy  they slide right in  .
Was wondering if any one knows if there is some type of controler for them other than the dash switch and the relay box that is mounted under the seat ?
 Thanks Mark

83 CADDY 1.6 TD WINTER
83 CADDY 1.9 AAZ SUMMER

Reply #1December 28, 2008, 09:50:23 pm

madrogers

• Junior

heated seat upgrade in my caddy. need wireing info.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:23 pm »
Well I put my winter boots on and off to the parts car . FYI the wireing came out very easly found out that the harness is in two peices with the joint at the fuse box area. It has two gound wies, one power and one wire for the lite in the switch. I hooked it all up in the shop and found the drivers seat would not work but the relay would click. With my ohm meter I had power going to the seat element  so I uncliped the seat cover at the rear and lifted it, the 4 connetion where there but two wires where broken , one powerd the seat element  and one for the temp sensor. Repaired both and found a burnt spot in the element  on one side  . I opened it up and the wire was broken It appeirs to be a steel wire so I crimped back together with the end of a red termanal connector and all works good now. the power goes to the bottem element than up to the top one in series.
 the power draw is apx. 6 amps per seat as it cycles on and off at the different temp settings.
Mark
83 CADDY 1.6 TD WINTER
83 CADDY 1.9 AAZ SUMMER

S-PAutomotive.com