Author Topic: Post-Secondary Edumacation  (Read 38546 times)

Reply #45August 12, 2004, 10:39:02 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

Post-Secondary Edumacation
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2004, 10:39:02 am »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
wondering dave... you say i can get an interest-free loan. as far as i know, the only option for interest-free is through OSAP which i am not eligible for. can't give you a reason why i'm not eligible.. i've filled out an application on 3 occasions and always get a result of '$0'.  :?

is there another way to get an interest-free school loan? i was under the impression that the banks give you a favourable interest rate, but certainly not interest free.. and no 6-month grace period. but i could be wrong.

Even if you negotiate a loan or line-of-credit directly with a bank for educational purposes, if the interest is not already waived by the bank, the interest is deductible in full from your income tax payable.  If you don't earn sufficient income to take advantage of that deduction in that tax year, you can claim it in a later year, up to 5 years, I think...

Reply #46August 12, 2004, 11:02:13 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2004, 11:02:13 am »
cool. thanks for the info dave.

i'm sitting in this cubicle... feeling somewhat liberated for a change because i have the opportunity to leave this all behind and start something fresh and new that i'm really looking forward to.

been speaking with the program director some more... he's been telling me what the more challenging 1st year courses are... and my gut feeling is nothing but "bring. it. on!" can't wait :)

Reply #47August 12, 2004, 11:34:18 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2004, 11:34:18 am »
You ARE the man, Lanny!

You coming out on the 21st?  You know you wanna... ;)

Reply #48August 12, 2004, 11:42:59 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 11:42:59 am »
haha of course i wanna!

i also wanna have a place to live when school starts ;) ...need to finish work on the house. but, can always make time for a VW GTG, the missus understands  :lol: ..also have some friends who have planned a camping trip that weekend. too much to do, not enough time!

Reply #49August 18, 2004, 10:27:44 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 10:27:44 am »
i don't think we'll make it out dave, hoping to move into the house on saturday. next time. will you be at the aug 28 GTG? ....i have a 10-day holiday starting aug 27. i signed and delivered my resignation yesterday... tuition is paid... it's all still sinking in though! ...i'm a, student?  :lol:

Reply #50September 21, 2004, 01:06:40 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2004, 01:06:40 pm »
hi all!

i'm barely 2wks into school and you all were right, i don't regret a thing. we've jumped right into it... engineering materials classes are teaching me things already in the first 2 wks that i have wondered about for years. i have engineering drawing assignments due on monday, and a math test already in 2 days!!!  :lol:

its taking some getting used to, homework and all that, but i'm really happy with my decision and i'd like to thank you all again for the kind words and guidance.

...and you know, it doesn't hurt that the company i worked for just had a merger on friday and i'd more than likely be out of a job within the next 6 months anyway  :lol:

is anyone else back in class? what are you taking, hows it going?

thanks again everyone  8)

Reply #51September 22, 2004, 10:18:13 pm

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2004, 10:18:13 pm »
Not back, but just sent my registration to finally finish my Technical Degree in Mechanical Engineering... :P

I just made sure that the enveloppe went to the right person so I can graduate...

The best is yet to come I think...

I have an interview for a job in my field that pays a lot more than what I'm doing now (I work for Staples, yuk... :cry: ).

It'll be the second interview...fingers crossed! :D
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #52September 23, 2004, 07:18:20 am

farkman

• Junior

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2004, 07:18:20 am »
Lanny

It's good to hear that you feel you made the right decision  :D. I started my 2nd/last year at Centennial College back on August 30 where I'm taking the automotive technician course. Last Sunday I started machine shop level 1 and this week I'm starting MIG welding and blueprint reading at Sheridan College. However, there are still about 20 other part-time courses at Sheridan that I want to take. I working on getting my welding certificate and machining certificate now, and later I would like to learn how to operate CNC mill and lathe and do CAD also. It estimating that it'll take me about 4 years to complete all this.  

I'm also very happy that I have a diesel, especially now, because even with all the driving I do (about 550-600km) a week, fuel is only about $25.

Good Luck

Peter

Reply #53April 24, 2005, 08:43:43 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2005, 08:43:43 am »
Quote from: "TDIMeister"

I have made the decision that if I get an acceptance, I am making the big life-changing step to go back to school and pursue a doctorate.  Except this will be done in Germany, and it could be a very long term commitment that means I will be a student (and living as such) until well into my mid-30s  :shock:   That means giving up A LOT that I have gained in my last 4-5 years working in an already very well-paying career.  But if money was my sole motivation, I would have made many different choices with respect to where I'd position myself... life is too short to be anything less than absolutely happy with what you do, and to realise your dreams and life's pursuits.  OK, that enough philosophising before I start to get teary eyed...  :D

We'll I'm going back to school :D

As posted on VWVortex:

Quote from: "TDIMeister"

I am thrilled to announce that, after months of anxious waiting, and many more years of dreaming and hoping, I received word of acceptance of my application to pursue an M.Sc. degree in Energy Engineering at RWTH (Aachen Technical University) in Germany.  Basically, in this program, I will be taking the next step in studies and research in combustion engines and engine design at one of the most renowned Technical Universities in the world!! :D

Those of you who have known me for a while will also know how long I have talked about and hoped for this.  This acceptance represents the culmination and fulfilment of a deep desire of mine to go to Germany for many years.  I have travelled there 4 times since 1999, and I have been fortunate to have been able to experience meeting so many people, and visiting places and sights that few have been able to.

Waiting in anticipation in the past months has been one of my greatest challenges, and I thank all those of you who have journeyed with me and wished me favourably in this endeavour, and for others who have remembered me in their prayers.  The circumstances of my acceptance is nothing short of a miracle, as I feared that my credentials were not as strong as I felt was necessary for acceptance at one of the most prestigious departments and Engineering Universities in Germany if not in all the world!

My immediate challenges are to apply for a German student visa; selling most of my possessions (including my beloved Quicksilver  :( ); coordinating the move from Canada to Germany; and working out financial details as I will be returning to full-time studies.  The next few months will be a very busy one in many ways, but one of the biggest sacrifices yet would be to have to bid farewell to family, friends, and home, of which I consider you guys in that company.  Such is the resolve of my dream that I am willing make this move.  As a result, the upcoming summer will hold very special meaning for me as I take every possible opportunity out of all the busy-ness to enjoy the company of friends and family in a time of a lengthy but celebratory farewell.

Thanks for letting me share in my joy.  Going back to school might seem the farthest thing from good news to some of you, but I am so happy!!!!!!!  :sly:  :screwy:  :laugh:

Plans are already underway for a trip to Europe in mid-August through Labour Day, and one person is already down for it!  More travel mates would be awesome!!!  On the itinerary are stops in London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome, and the focal point being to PARTAY in Germany and Greece!

Oh ya, since threads with no pics get few views, here's a couple :D

Reply #54April 24, 2005, 12:51:34 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2005, 12:51:34 pm »
Congratulations.....but seeing as this is the "WORLD wide web",  there is no reason why we won't be hearing from you once you've relocated in the "Fatherland"? .......BTW, I'm extremly envious to see someone as excited and pumped up as you apparently are...I wish I could find some focus in my life to spark the same emotions you are experiencing now.... :cry: ....Best of luck in your pursuits....Kevin
No I am NOT in denial!!!!!

Reply #55April 25, 2005, 07:46:49 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2005, 07:46:49 am »
Wow man, that rocks!  I've never even been to Germany and feel the need to go there.  :)  I'm a big idiot for not taking the chance to do a semester abroad in England while I was in college.  A couple of my friends did and said that it changed their life.  Oh well, I didnt go because I was afraid that I would fall behind in my Computer Science degree (not offered at the school in England) when it turns out I ended up dropping it as a major and switched to Music.  Doh!

Way to go on your decision.   Should be a challenging and rewarding experience, I am sure.  :)

Good luck-

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

P.S. dont suppose you could hook me up with some euro-Scirocco parts while you are over there?   8)  Ha!  :)
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #56April 25, 2005, 05:00:26 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2005, 05:00:26 pm »
Quote from: "lord_verminaard"
I ended up dropping it as a major and switched to Music.  Doh!

Good luck-

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

There's a lot of back and forth between sciences and music. What do you play?

Reply #57April 25, 2005, 07:39:28 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2005, 07:39:28 pm »
There's a lot of back and forth between sciences and music. What do you play?

Meh.  The only thing I still play is guitar, and I dont play that as much as I'd like to.  Most of my music major was in theory/composition/conducting, but I was in two chorale groups and played in a madrigal group that performed 17th century madrigals with a combination of singers, recorders, crumhorns, my mandolin, and viols.  Lots of fun.  In high-school, I played french horn, trumpet and mellophone but havent picked up any of those in years.  :(
I played guitar 24/7 in college but something about working 50 hours a week severly diminishes any desire to do much of anything when I get home.  

So yeah, music major is nothing I can apply to real life.  :P  Well, I dont really apply any of my computer science stuff either, as it was all digital logic and software engineering which sucked anyway.  If I could do it again, I would have double majored in music/theater, stuff that I loved, and that way I'd still have the same crappy job now but at least I could have gone to England and had more fun in my $20k/year 4-year party.  :)

(which I am still paying for......)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #58November 09, 2005, 10:52:51 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2005, 10:52:51 am »
How is everyone's semester going?

I haven't heard much from TDImeister lately, I'm sure he has his hands full over there. Anyone heard much from him?

I'm sad to say I sold out and went back to working fulltime after year 1. I think I did it for the right reasons though and I hope to return to Engineering studies, but at the University level for Sept '06 or '07 start.

Its a big commitment, 5 years of schooling. I'd like to hear some reflection from any Eng. grads on your experience, what you are doing with your education now, and what you might have done differently?

Reply #59November 09, 2005, 12:32:22 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2005, 12:32:22 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
How is everyone's semester going?

I haven't heard much from TDImeister lately, I'm sure he has his hands full over there. Anyone heard much from him?

I'm sad to say I sold out and went back to working fulltime after year 1. I think I did it for the right reasons though and I hope to return to Engineering studies, but at the University level for Sept '06 or '07 start.

Its a big commitment, 5 years of schooling. I'd like to hear some reflection from any Eng. grads on your experience, what you are doing with your education now, and what you might have done differently?

What is the difference between college and university for you.  In the US they are pretty much just nomenclature differences dependding on what school you are at.  Perhaps your college is more like our Community College, which is another name for the two year schools here?  A bachelors of science in engineering degree is designed to be a 4 year program (although alot of people take 5 years to finish it).  You can get two year technical degrees on various things, but not usually the traditional engineering disciplines.

I have two engineering degrees.  Bachelors in electrical engineering, and masters in civil.  I work designing large PV systems.  This does use some of what I learned in school, but I have to say that most of the experience that I actually feel helps me do my job was learned outside of the classroom (alot from the networking I did in grad school), and the classroom stuff only helped me figure out WHY things work the way they do -- I've been building stuff since I was 10, but there's less trial and error after the engineering degrees.  

Z
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Fixmyvw.com