Author Topic: 84 Rabbit and New to list  (Read 2098 times)

December 05, 2008, 02:56:08 pm

Curt

84 Rabbit and New to list
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:08 pm »
New to list and Rabbit diesels well have not got it yet looking at one.
     I am not new to diesel and have been home brewing for more than a year now have been looking for an old rabbit and finally found one that is not totally out of my range amazing what some folks think these are worth with fuel prices the way they are.
  Have been old school VW for years and still have a couple of westys here, a 68 and 72 weekender.
  My question is how many miles are a bunch on the little diesel engine? The car I am looking at has 240K, I know the suspension will more than likely need some TLC but will the engine go for a while and when it does require work can it be freshened up or is it a replace it type block? I has been parked for about eight months now (young mother said it was to small to drive the children around in) or that is the story will see shortly.
  Thanks much
                      Curt

Reply #1December 05, 2008, 05:32:04 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:32:04 pm »
Welcome to the board.

Then I'll follow up the welcome by telling you this is the wrong section for this question.

Prob should be in the General section.

Now that that's done  :lol:

240k isn't too bad but it's not a spring chicken by any means.

How does it run?
Does it start right up?
Can you do a compression check on it?
Do you know the history of the car.

If it starts easily and doesn't smoke (blue or white) and the price is right your golden.

There are guys on the board that have gone well over 400k on a well maintained engine.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #2December 05, 2008, 08:34:29 pm

Curt

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:34:29 pm »
Quote from: zukgod1
Welcome to the board.

Then I'll follow up the welcome by telling you this is the wrong section for this question.

Prob should be in the General section.

Now that that's done  :lol:

240k isn't too bad but it's not a spring chicken by any means.

:oops:  Sorry bout that! thanks for the info though wasn't to sure on the mileage I have a 12 valve cummins with 274k on it  and know of a hard used Rabbit with about half that, that still runs fairly well, white smoke on start when cold fine when warm, still learning these vdub diesels.
   Again thanks Curt

Reply #3December 05, 2008, 08:56:34 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:56:34 pm »
Well if you know 12 valves then your set.
White smoke is unburnt fuel so may be a tad worn but if it clears right up then may be ok. Start a thread in the IDI or General section and you will get a lot more responses.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #4December 06, 2008, 08:07:12 am

Curt

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:07:12 am »
[. Start a thread in the IDI or General section and you will get a lot more responses.[/quote]

Thank you kind sir! appreciate it.
curt