Author Topic: Waterpump pulley bolts  (Read 4914 times)

June 13, 2005, 01:23:33 am

srivett

• Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:23:33 am »
Hi guys, I started to do a timing belt change today but gave up.   :?  After fighting a ton of stuck bolts I got fed up when I realized I should have undid the waterpump bolts before removing the belt.  Anyway, I put it back together and would like to know how to get these bolts off.  If you know what size they are I'd like to know that too.  They are due for replacement.

Thanks, Steve

1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #1June 13, 2005, 10:01:37 am

srivett

• Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:01:37 am »
Ah, I figured it out thismorning.  The allen key bolts for the two pulleys and lower cover are all M8.  There are a couple different lengths which is ridiculous so I changed them all to 18 mm long.  The waterpump bolts are close though, if you only have the single pulley you may bottom out the bolts against the housing.  That would pull the shaft out...so don't do that. :P  The timing cover bolt is the longest which is pretty dumb since it also has the easiest job.  Oh well...the trick to getting the water pump pulley bolts off is to leave the inner belt on and use a rachet to hold the crank pulley along with a strap wrench to hold the outer WP pulley.  I used a chisel to spin off the crank V-pulley bolts and an impact screwdriver to remove the timing cover allen-key bolt.  It turns out you need more hammers than wrenches to replace the timing belt.   :twisted:

Cheers, Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km

Reply #2June 13, 2005, 04:44:01 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 04:44:01 pm »
Quote from: "srivett"
Ah, I figured it out thismorning.  The allen key bolts for the two pulleys and lower cover are all M8.  There are a couple different lengths which is ridiculous so I changed them all to 18 mm long.  The waterpump bolts are close though, if you only have the single pulley you may bottom out the bolts against the housing.  That would pull the shaft out...so don't do that. :P  The timing cover bolt is the longest which is pretty dumb since it also has the easiest job.  Oh well...the trick to getting the water pump pulley bolts off is to leave the inner belt on and use a rachet to hold the crank pulley along with a strap wrench to hold the outer WP pulley.  I used a chisel to spin off the crank V-pulley bolts and an impact screwdriver to remove the timing cover allen-key bolt.  It turns out you need more hammers than wrenches to replace the timing belt.   :twisted:

Cheers, Steve

uh, watch using a ratchet to hold the crank pulley.  Taking the bolts off thay way is fine because you are tightening.  But if you put them back on that way, you are loosening.  One thing you don't want is a loose crank pulley bolt.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #3June 16, 2005, 04:37:59 pm

jake zak

bolts
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:37:59 pm »
HI
I get a old belt ,(one that is from the air cond.) and cut it to the dia. of the pulley..set it in the groove and put a oil filter wrench on it to hold it and then loosen the allens.
works for me...

Reply #4July 03, 2005, 08:16:43 pm

srivett

• Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 08:16:43 pm »
Ha, turns out that allen key bolt for the lower timing belt cover also holds oil in the engine.  I didn't put it back in the last time I was working on the engine since I'd mangled the bolt...lost about 2 litres of oil in the last week and a half.   :oops:

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km

Reply #5July 03, 2005, 08:50:56 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 08:50:56 pm »
I use an impact wrench to remove all of those bolts. I did the belts on my Jetta 2 last week and had to unbolt the front half of the fender liner so I could move it out of the way and use an extension to get to the bolts.

Reply #6July 04, 2005, 04:00:48 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Waterpump pulley bolts
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 04:00:48 pm »
Quote from: "srivett"
Ha, turns out that allen key bolt for the lower timing belt cover also holds oil in the engine.  I didn't put it back in the last time I was working on the engine since I'd mangled the bolt...lost about 2 litres of oil in the last week and a half.   :oops:

Steve

so it's confirmed then.  I thought that allen bolt was blocking an oil channel, but wasn't sure.  There is always lots of oil around mine and it seemed to be dripping from there.  That is great, now I can fix a puzzling oil leak that I've never been able to find.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now