S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: How can water fill up my rocker panel?  (Read 3932 times)

June 22, 2005, 12:19:57 am

wbhgrace

How can water fill up my rocker panel?
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:19:57 am »
I found the source of my 81 Rabbit's wet floor - the driver's side rocker panel is filling with water, and then seeping out of the rubber access plug onto the floor. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the rocker to let the water drain out, but I want to find the source of the water so I don't rust out the rocker from the inside. I've crawled around underneath and looked in the fenderwell - no obvious entry paths. The raintray drains are clear. The antenna cable seal is tight. Windshield and seal are pretty new and don't leak as far as I can tell. It looks like maybe the fender has been taken off before - is there a (missing) fender-to-body seal that could cause this? Anybody had this problem before?
Thanks,

-Will
'81 Rabbit 1.6NA
'85 Westfalia Camper gas:(

Reply #1June 22, 2005, 12:59:35 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 12:59:35 am »
Your rocker panels should have functional drains along the "rails" underneath.  Most likely they have been bashed and/or pinched shut (from running the car over something, or from improper jacking) and/or plugged by debris/dirt.  If the drains are pinched shut, I would recommend opening them back up as needed by prying with a screwdriver, etc.  Then run something skinny, like a welding rod, up through the drain into the cavity to break free any dirt or debris that may be causing the clog.  As for where the water is coming from, I can't remember where the water that is supposed to drain out there comes from.  I remember after heavy rains freeing up my rocker drains and water immediately came pouring out.

If there is any evidence of water getting into the interior of your car, I would check the seal of the vapor barriers behind your interior door panels however.  To do this, remove the interior door panels to expose the vapor barriers and look for areas especially around the bottom where the seal is not intact.  Dust/dirt trail will belie the existence of water escape paths.

Not a bad idea to make sure the drains along the bottom of your door are working as well.  Test them by hosing down your window with water, letting it flow down between glass and outer glass scraper.  Make sure all of the door drains are flowing water when there is a lot of water getting inside the door.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2June 30, 2005, 10:17:19 pm

wbhgrace

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:19 pm »
Thanks Jake!
You were right - the drains on the driver's side were all bent shut.  It didn't cross my mind that that area was supposed to drain.
-Will
'81 Rabbit 1.6NA
'85 Westfalia Camper gas:(