S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)  (Read 33215 times)

Reply #60October 12, 2009, 01:52:37 pm

booneylander

• User+

Re: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »
Nice! Keep up the good work!

Reply #61October 12, 2009, 03:20:20 pm

clarkrep

• Junior

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »
Looks nice, way better than my first welds!
'79 Rabbit Diesel L 1.5
'83 Rabbit GTI 1.6TD

Reply #62October 12, 2009, 04:19:41 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:41 pm »
so whats the dealio on the intake? Sillycone or a stock rubber piece? If you are junkyard searching, I think the Merkur turbo models had some tight intake angles and some nifty rubber parts to go with it.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #63October 12, 2009, 05:46:32 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »
That is really good for your first welds. Is that 2.5 or 3 inch pipe. It looks like it was supposed to be there.

Reply #64October 13, 2009, 03:53:16 am

1outof5

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2009, 03:53:16 am »
those welds don't look like you only have 20 minutes experience so I guess congratulations are in order: well done  8)
the exhaust does look right where it needs to be.

Reply #65October 13, 2009, 09:56:32 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:32 am »
so whats the dealio on the intake? Sillycone or a stock rubber piece? If you are junkyard searching, I think the Merkur turbo models had some tight intake angles and some nifty rubber parts to go with it.

LOL Merkur turbos.  I've only seen like 3 of those in my whole life.  :)  Doubt I'd find any in the junkyards around here.  I think the rice section at AutoStoned has some stuff I can use.

81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #66October 13, 2009, 09:58:33 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2009, 09:58:33 am »
That is really good for your first welds. Is that 2.5 or 3 inch pipe. It looks like it was supposed to be there.

Thanks!  It's 2.5" pipe, all from Summit.  Good quality stuff and cheap.  Before I fixed the mistake, I clamped it in the vice and hung from it with all of my weight thinking I could tweak it a bit, that was a fail.  :)  Good way to test your welds though.  :D  The rest of the exhaust should go smoothly I hope.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #67October 13, 2009, 09:44:04 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 09:44:04 pm »
That is about as good as it could possibly get in my opinion.  Excellent fit too, I cant imagine how you got everything so precise that it fits like that.  If I had ordered one from a professional fabricator I really wouldn't expect it to come out that good today.  I've been welding for about the same time also but we're obviously not in the same league from your pictures, you're way better ;D  I got an auto-darkening helmet when I got my mig welder last year, Northern tools $49.  It works great but even on it's brightest setting (9) it is still a little too dark for a beginner like me to really see good, even outside on sunny day when doing something as light gauge as exhaust tubing.  I can't imagine what a fixed shade must be like unless they make some lighter than 9 in a fixed version.  They probably do but since I'm no welder I have no idea.  I know you are gonna get some "can you make one for me" posts ;D

Reply #68October 13, 2009, 09:55:57 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:57 pm »
I can't imagine what a fixed shade must be like unless they make some lighter than 9 in a fixed version.  They probably do but since I'm no welder I have no idea.  I know you are gonna get some "can you make one for me" posts ;D

Trust me you don't want flash burn. When I was in welding classes I thought they said OSHA requires at least a shade of 10 for welding and a 5 for oxy acet. Some guys in my shop class back in high school "forgot" their helmet. They never forgot it again after a day or two of severe eye ache/ head ache. Lucky they didn't go blind.  A 9 probably wouldnt be bad for only welding once in a while though. Its not a lot lighter. And yes they are avaliable at welding supply shops.

Just thought I would add that. Also I agree for 20 mins of weld time those aren't half bad. Welding on pipe is hard enough let alone thin pipe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:59:19 pm by Possum79 »
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #69October 13, 2009, 11:29:09 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2009, 11:29:09 pm »
I can't imagine what a fixed shade must be like unless they make some lighter than 9 in a fixed version.  They probably do but since I'm no welder I have no idea.  I know you are gonna get some "can you make one for me" posts ;D

Trust me you don't want flash burn. When I was in welding classes I thought they said OSHA requires at least a shade of 10 for welding and a 5 for oxy acet. Some guys in my shop class back in high school "forgot" their helmet. They never forgot it again after a day or two of severe eye ache/ head ache. Lucky they didn't go blind.  A 9 probably wouldnt be bad for only welding once in a while though. Its not a lot lighter. And yes they are avaliable at welding supply shops.

Just thought I would add that. Also I agree for 20 mins of weld time those aren't half bad. Welding on pipe is hard enough let alone thin pipe.
Yes that was my problem, on the light gauge pipe you have to have the heat setting down to 2 I think it was with the .030 solid core and using gas I was getting very good welds, the problem was they weren't where I thought they were because it was too dark with the light flash of the low heat setting to see what I was doing.  I'll have to do some lighting experimenting with a halogen light or somethng to see better I guess ???

Reply #70October 14, 2009, 09:08:27 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:27 am »
Heh, thanks guys, I actually thought about building a jig so I can replicate these, but I don't have time for that right now, and I really didn't expect it to fit this good either, since a handful of the angles were "eyeball and guess" at best. 

I was an idiot and bought a non-auto darkening helmet a while back, that was a mistake.  I borrowed an auto-darkening one for this job, and will probably buy one at Harbor Freight the next time I have $50 in my pocket.  I also used a chain-type exhaust cutter to make all of the cuts.  It took a little while, but with a cutter like that, the only way you can cut pipe is squarely, so all of your inner diameters are consistent.  I might buy a new one instead of a chop saw.  I don't have air in my garage so cleaning up the rough cuts of a chopsaw would take a lot more time than it took me to wire-brush the cuts I made with the chain cutter.  :)

Believe it or not, the old guy I work with at the Porsche shop does not use a welding helmet at all.  He's been doing it that way for 40 years so who am I to question.  One of the first couple times I came out there to help, I had on the helmet, but had a short-sleeve shirt on, my arms got cooked.  I have no idea how his eyes (or face!) can handle that.

I'll add that I was using a 30-year old Snap-on welder.  I've only used about 3 or 4 welders, most of them newer, in my life (and obviously none of them for more than about 5 minutes) but this one welds so nice.  I actually have two of these same models, a YA-205, I'd eventually like to set up the other one for stainless.  It's cost me enough already just for the stupid small bottle of C25 and running the 220 to the garage.  :P

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #71October 14, 2009, 09:18:37 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2009, 09:18:37 am »
if you buy an auto shield, spend the extra $$ and get a good one. Your eyes are worth it.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #72November 02, 2009, 09:46:01 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2009, 09:46:01 am »
Bringing this back up...

A few updates, but not much.  I was hoping to have the car fired up this weekend, but it didn't happen.  Hopefully I'll be able to put some time into it this week in the 40 minutes of daylight I have after work.

From last week, the lift pump is installed and works:

Wires are run into the passenger compartment but not to the fuse panel yet.  I did test it with a battery I had laying around, it pumps fuel!  Filled the fuel filter and had fuel coming out the return so it works.  No leaks either and it's a nice clean setup.  I originally had kept the water separator back here and installed the pump with it, but like an idiot I turned the valve on the water separator to see if it still worked, and the valve broke off instantly and splashed diesel everywhere.  I later found out that since most fuel filters have water separators built-in to them, and our fuel is better now than it was in 1986, the rear separator isn't needed anymore.  Oh well.

Here's the pump I used:

And yesterday, I got the console out and modified for gauges:

I have most of the wiring done for the gauges, still need to run the wires into the car.  I also had to scavenge the backlights from the gauges in my Scirocco since these Audi gauges didn't have the sockets with them.  I think it looks good though, and it passed the Wife Test.  :)  I like it because the lower cubby is still usable, and the radio will be in the stock location.

That's about it really.  I noodled around under the hood some, got most of the stuff in order, cobbled together a working vaccum system, tucked some wires, arranged the harnesses, and managed to somehow break the ground stud that is on the driver's inner fender.   :banghead: 

I'm going to fabricate two upper radiator supports and attempt to push in the radiator about 2", I think that will give me just enough room to fit the intercooler in there with a little trimming to the core support.  But I think once the wiring is done, I will fire it up without the intercooler anyway just to get it warmed up for the re-torque before we break it in properly.    :laugh:

So, next week she should be running.  We'll see.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #73November 02, 2009, 11:40:25 pm

clarkrep

• Junior

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2009, 11:40:25 pm »
Looks nice, I like how the gauges look kinda factory.  I have a lift pump like that on my mk1 gti and it works well(7psi at the IP inlet) One thing i would do though is mount it with a rubber mount cause they make the whole floor pan vibrate when mounted solid. I used one of the cis fuel pump mounts that was there already.
Aaron
'79 Rabbit Diesel L 1.5
'83 Rabbit GTI 1.6TD

Reply #74November 03, 2009, 12:11:11 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2009, 12:11:11 am »
I removed the cis pump in my caddy...

Do i need to install a pump, It seems to get plenty of fuel from the gravity feed ?

Gee-Bee

Need a gasket made let me know ?

I do silicone only...
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15