S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)  (Read 33227 times)

Reply #75November 05, 2009, 12:00:38 am

twardnw

Re: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 12:00:38 am »
Do i need to install a pump, It seems to get plenty of fuel from the gravity feed ?

The pump isn't required, it does help if you for some reason small amounts of air are making it into the lines, or fuel is draining back toward the tank when the pump is off. And it will REALLY help if you ever run out of fuel, makes priming the pump an almost non-issue.

Reply #76November 05, 2009, 10:44:15 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2009, 10:44:15 am »
Hey Tyler, welcome.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #77November 05, 2009, 06:59:59 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2009, 06:59:59 pm »
I love the way your center consol looks. I was going to head to summit racing today to get some gauge mounting holes, but didn't make it. The purpose was to make my consol look like yours here and the summit is the cheapest route I could find. Where did you get your gauge mounting stuff? Looks great I would love to see it in person someday, let me know when you get it done and if that would be ok.

Reply #78November 08, 2009, 08:03:17 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2009, 08:03:17 am »
Thanks!

The Audi triple-gauge setup already came with the plastic bezel, I'm guessing it was the original Audi one.  My Scirocco had 5 gauges in it, so someone else had made up the panels for that.  I trimmed the Audi one to fit, and cut one of the holes off of the triple one that was in the Scirocco for the two-gauge pod.  I just made a couple L-brackets from some flat stock to mount the lower one, and the upper one is held in place by one of the "u"-brackets that hold the gauge to the bezel and with a quick homemade bracket on the other side.  The two screws on the top piece are just to cover up existing holes that were already there.  :)

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #79November 08, 2009, 08:04:36 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2009, 08:04:36 am »
Update: 

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!    :laugh:  :beer:  :thumbup:

Fired it up right as it got dark last night.  Took about 20 sec. of cranking before I could hear one cylinder firing, then about 10 sec. more before two of them were firing, then about 5 more sec. of that and it roared to life!  Man, I was a happy camper.  It managed to start on only 2 glow plugs too, as I was trying to hurry and couldn't reach the two on the passenger side.  (my 8mm wrench vanished somewhere!!!)

2 issues, like an idiot, I forgot to tighten down the power steering pressure hose at the pump, so it sprayed PS-foam everywhere.  Also had a fuel leak at the return line, so I shut the car down, and fixed those issues before starting it back up again.  Fired up immediately the 2nd time.

I have a few issues to solve.  The first major one, that I need to fix before I start it up again, is that none of my aux. gauges are reading correctly.  (at least I hope not)  The oil temp gauge maxes out immediately as soon as it gets power, the volt and oil pressure gauges move slightly from 0 but neither one of them do anything after that.  I am not really comfortable running this engine without oil pressure.  The idiot-light works when you turn the key, then goes off as soon as the car starts, so I am assuming that is working correctly.  I have spare oil pressure and oil temp gauges from the Scirocco, after I verify correct voltage at the gauge I will swap them out to see if they are malfunctioning.

I also need an insulator on the fuel pump, it's kinda loud reverberating on the body.  Aaron was right about needing one.  It doesn't vibrate so much but it's louder than I'd like it.

Still gotta build the intake and fit the intercooler.  Gonna try to tackle that today.  I also temporarily wired up the glow plugs so I need to finalize that today too. 

Exciting!!!!

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #80November 08, 2009, 08:09:29 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:29 am »
I bet a peice of tire tube would work for that pump. Great to hear that it works, but weird about the gauges.

Reply #81November 09, 2009, 10:21:59 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 10:21:59 am »
Remainder of the weekend was full of beating my head against the wall but at least I have some peace of mind.
So I started to troubleshoot the gauge issue. The Audi volt gauge was bad.   Replaced it with a spare Scirocco gauge, works great now. I was using my digital multimeter to test things, when all of a sudden it just went all retarded on me.   Thankfully, I had a very old analog spare meter, it actually worked really well.

Next was the oil temp gauge, it pegs all the way right as soon as it get's voltage. I swapped it out with a rabbit oil temp gauge, and it does the same thing.   The temp sender is a new one I bought at GAP. Have not figured out that one yet.

Oil pressure: It moves up to 0 when it get's power, but goes nowhere after that, even when the car is running. I swapped out the gauge (for yet another spare) and it does the same thing. The oil pressure warning light comes on after the car is revved up. So not wanting to take any chances, I went to the parts store and bought a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge to hook up temporarily. Getting the fittings and adapters was a nightmare. It's amazing to me that you can go to every parts store in town and nobody has a M10x1 to 1/8th compression adapter anywhere. I hooked it up and though it leaked everywhere, I got 75 PSI cold at idle, so that's good.

Next, I replaced the low pressure switch on the side of the head with the VDO dual-post sender I was using, this one to be exact: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind...0-006 and I get the oil light at ignition, and it goes out after it starts. Good. Still no pressure on the gauge.   Put the high-pressure stock switch back in the oil flange, and no more oil light after 2000 rpms, so that's a WIN too.

At least I know the oil pressure is good. I let it run for about a half hour, the cooling fan kicks on when it is supposed to, though the oil temp never got high enough to open the thermostat in the oil cooler. Also, while blipping the throttle, the turbo spins up really well.   I was afraid it was too big, but if it's spinning up without any load on it, I'm sure it will do fine. The timing is off some, as there is a bit of white fuel smoke while it's running, but that will be easy enough to fix once Andrew gets his timing kit sorted.  :)

I have an exxon-valdez style oil leak somewhere, I think from the front oil flange fitting when I re-threaded the high pressure switch back in. The wiring is still a mess, and most of the interior is out of the car. But it's coming along! At least 3 nights this week are booked after work but the remaining 2 I'll try to tie up some loose ends and finalize the wiring, then maybe next weekend we can drive this thing. 

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #82November 24, 2009, 07:09:29 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:29 pm »
Well here we go.  Another update, I've actually been working on it pretty steadily, but it seems that some days I'll spend the whole day and nothing really ends up getting done.  But there is some real progress to report.

First up, the wiring is all finished and the interior is back together except for the passenger seat.  I had ripped all the seats out, most of the carpet, and vaccumed everything while I was doing the wiring.  Got all of the gauges sorted and working, and got the glow plug "pimping" done.  I was figuring out where to mount all of the electrical additions with the glow plug system and relaying the headlights and didn't like the idea of just plopping it in the engine bay somewhere.  So I had a spare ECU bracket from a digi car, and low and behold, the Golf has the mounting pins for it in the raintray.  So I decided to put all my crap on that.

I especially like the solenoid underneath like that away from stray tools and wires and whatnot as opposed to being in the engine bay directly. 

Here it is all wired up and installed:

I spent a lot of time wiping down everything inside the car to clean it up before I put it together.  Here's the results of that effort:

On order are all new seat sliders and a new switch blank to cover that hole.  Stereo coming eventually.  :P

Next up, the god damn intercooler.  For the record, the SAAB intercooler is not the best for this application, there just isn't a good place for it.  I spent most of a day modding the AC condenser from my Corrado to make it fit since it was a little bit smaller, and when I was putting all of the AC lines back in, (with new o-rings) I twisted off the end of one of the fittings, and it was the last freaking line before the system was done.  DAMMIT!   So I yanked all of it except the compressor out.  No AC for this car for now, maybe later.  That gave me more space to mount the intercooler but it was still a bastard, I had to cut one of the mounting posts off of the intercooler, and nip one of the mounting bosses off of the radiator, and cut a lot of the core support away completely.  But it fits!

Also tucked away on the right side is the oil cooler with a simple L-bracket to hold it in place.  

The intercooler piping was a pain too.  I had some left over exhaust bends, so I had to fabricate some pipes to go along with the cxracing.com aluminum pipe kit.  I had to dimple one of the pipes with a hammer to clear the Alt. pulley:

It's a TIGHT fit.  But I think it will work.  Here are the rest of the pics that I took tonight:

The bay as it sits right now:

Still a few wires to clean up when I get around to it.

Yes, I'll put the upper timing cover back on.  Didn't feel like doing it tonight.

The "Spectre" air filter and intake pipe kit from the rice section at AutoStoned.  PITA to work with and the pipes are plastic, but unless you can bend and weld aluminum, it will have to do.  It actually fits pretty nicely after I got it all together.

Whew.  I had a bit of drama as some of you might know, I had to remove the injection pump to fix a coolant leak that I could not reach, and apparently when it put it back together, I got the timing off a bit and she wouldn't start.  I went out and fixed that tonight and she starts right up, and no sign of the leak either.  I think the timing is still advanced a bit too much as the "diesel clatter" is a bit louder than I think it should be, but it's about time to drive this thing.

I need to un-stick the parking brake, slap on the axles, (still have no idea if the turbo oil drain line will clear!!!) and get it on the ground for a trial run.  Hopefully I can get that done this weekend.  Wish me luck!!!

Brendan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:13:56 pm by lord_verminaard »
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #83November 24, 2009, 09:18:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 09:18:15 pm »
If you need to use my dial indicator let me know. My car is down and will be probably all winter as I have nowhere to work on it warm. So let me know and I can let you borrow it for a time. I am in MT Vernon about once a week ... Free delivery :D

Reply #84November 24, 2009, 09:21:47 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 09:21:47 pm »
I actually kinda like the Spectre intake parts, they are reusable, and even seal with an O-ring.

for those of us who don't have access to all the tooling required for aluminum or stainless fabrication, they make for a very usable and affordable alternative.

good looking car by the way!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #85November 25, 2009, 10:02:37 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2009, 10:02:37 am »
If you need to use my dial indicator let me know. My car is down and will be probably all winter as I have nowhere to work on it warm. So let me know and I can let you borrow it for a time. I am in MT Vernon about once a week ... Free delivery :D

Thanks man, that would be great!  :)

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #86November 25, 2009, 10:05:30 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:30 am »
I actually kinda like the Spectre intake parts, they are reusable, and even seal with an O-ring.

for those of us who don't have access to all the tooling required for aluminum or stainless fabrication, they make for a very usable and affordable alternative.

good looking car by the way!

-Owen

Thanks!  Yeah, I'd be pretty much screwed without the Spectre stuff, when you are trying to make an intake for a car that is using a non-standard... well.. everything, it really helps.  I just wish that for what you payed for the stuff, it would at least be thin-walled aluminum.  :P  I had trouble with the o-rings falling out while trying to loosen the clamps enough to get the pipes together without dropping the little clamp screw.  Eventually I'll probably get more of the stuff for my Corrado since it just has a cheesy filter at the end of the MAF.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #87November 25, 2009, 12:19:33 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »
The silicone tape ( blue or black )might work for you on your wires, I purchased two rolls in black for my compartment
boostcontroller.com

item :Samco-sst-30-bk  19.86 per roll

Looking good !
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #88April 06, 2010, 01:55:51 pm

arsenicpants

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:51 pm »
any updates on this car?
I'm doing a mk1 Jetta with the same intercooler, and was hoping to do the same piping setup, since running it completely around the motor seems like a big waste
is there any heat soak from the hot pipe to the cool pipes? is that even an issue?

it seems like the hot air would rise up from the hot air pipe and re-warm the air in the cold side pipe

Reply #89April 06, 2010, 06:40:25 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 06:40:25 pm »
I saw it a couple weeks ago. Runs good from what I could see. He needed an oil fitting and I gave him mine, but it didn't work *wrong size* Hopefully he will comment too.

S-PAutomotive.com