Author Topic: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)  (Read 33250 times)

Reply #30June 24, 2009, 06:41:19 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Wife's Project: 86 Golf NA (maybe TD?)
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 06:41:19 pm »
When you say a rod was backwards which way do they go? Or just the piston that was attached was backwards? I didn't know that there was a front and back to the rods...good to know.

Reply #31June 25, 2009, 09:22:01 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:01 am »
Yeah, it might not matter much, but I didn't want to risk it, so I put the rods back in the same way they came out.  :)  I know that if you are re-using rods, if you swap the rod or main caps, it will sometimes not work.

The head is finished!  I stayed out at the machine shop late last night, until 9:30, but we got it done.  It's a masterpiece too.  :)  I've got probably the best VW machinist in the midwest, no joke.  He used to work at a VW/Audi/Porsche shop in the late 70's/mid-80's.  You should have seen him do the valve adjustment.  It was like magic.  It would have taken me hours!  :)  I've only checked the valve adjustment on a VW solid-lifter head, I've never had to adjust anything before.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #32June 25, 2009, 06:28:43 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 06:28:43 pm »
So as I am ready to assemble the bottom of my engine I need to know which way they came out...it was october when it was torn down. Let me know what you did. I need to get the thing in so I can measure for a headgasket.

Reply #33June 29, 2009, 09:12:18 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 09:12:18 am »
Heh, I marked each one with what cylinder it came from and which direction it was pointing as I took them out.  It was also back in early November when I took this one apart.  Probably doesn't help you though!  I'm not sure how you would figure out which way they go if you didn't mark them.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #34June 29, 2009, 10:49:13 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 10:49:13 am »
I have the bearing caps marked I just didn't remember which way they went. I know which rod goes in which hole and if I remember the bearing groves go toward the IP side of the engine, that is the way they are going anyway.

Reply #35June 29, 2009, 10:59:10 am

arb

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59:10 am »
I have the bearing caps marked I just didn't remember which way they went. I know which rod goes in which hole and if I remember the bearing groves go toward the IP side of the engine, that is the way they are going anyway.

I try to mark the mains and the rod at the same time and from the same side of the block - the main's only go one way so you'll know which way the rods go. Post mortem for this case, but many it will help someone. I don't remember who taught me this trick. Getting old is hell (my dad taught me that ;-)

Reply #36July 21, 2009, 11:11:00 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 11:11:00 am »
Time for a double-dose of updates!  I actually had accomplished about two weekends in a row of work so I'll add them both.

First, more of the engine is assembled:

Laura helped by pulling up the pictures of the disassembly so I could remember what goes where.  :P

Got the injection pump mounted, ready to put on the timing belt, but didn't have the tensioner stud.  FAIL.  It's different from the gas cars so I might have to special order one- GAP didn't have it either.

Notice lack of TDC locating devices.  There isn't a single mark on ANYTHING on this engine to designate TDC.  Oh well.  :P

Went to assemble the water pump halves and install that, but one bolt broke when I removed it and was stuck in the water pump housing.  I used all versions of heat, force, and chemicals that I was capable of, and it didn't come out.  FAIL.  I even drilled all the way through the broken bolt, and used an easy-out, but it broke the easy-out!!!  EPIC FAIL. 

So I got pissed and wanted to see some real progress so I pulled all of the studs on the head and swapped them for the proper studs for a rubber valve cover gasket, and temporarily threw the valve cover on there so I could see what it will look like.  WIN.

I also tested all of the glow plugs before I re-installed them.  So that was the weekend before last.  The injectors are re-built and awaiting pickup, so this week it looks like I'll be ordering more parts.  Timing this thing without any reference marks is going to be a beeyoch.

2nd update to follow.  :)

Brendan

93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #37July 21, 2009, 11:12:54 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:54 am »
2nd update, not a lot of details since most of the work was boring.  Painted the engine bay- a pretty rough and dirty job but it looks a zillion times better than it did.  Note this picture from the last update of the bay:

The silver areas is the Rust Bullet.  I'm happy with the way that stuff worked.  First, I pulled all of the wiring out of the holders and wrapped it up.  Then I scuffed everything I could reach with scotch-brite, then washed everything down with Denatured Alcohol.  Then some tape and newspaper, then some paint!  Here's how it turned out:

Getting excited about how it looked, I went ahead and fitted the apron, then quickly cleaned and painted the subframes, threw them on there, and blacked out the lower part of the core support and put it on.  Also fitted the chin spoiler and trim piece too.  How's this for inspiration?

Not bad, eh?  :)

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #38July 21, 2009, 02:09:33 pm

andyztoy

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »
wow great work
that things gunna run great
i like the idea of the block heater, deff going to look into putting on of those on my aaz

after u get her all back together u will have to address that rain tray

Reply #39July 22, 2009, 10:19:09 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19:09 am »
Yeah, I know.  Though that's the only rust on the whole car.  We've got it in the budget for a complete re-spray too.  Helps that I have a full Porsche restoration shop at my disposal when it comes time for paint.  :)

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #40July 22, 2009, 11:26:21 am

arb

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 11:26:21 am »
2nd update to follow.  :)

Brendan

Excellent progress Brendan !!  Always better if your wife is helping ;-)  Questions:  Are you going to "pimp your GP" ? Good time to install the wires. Also, are you going to use a VAC pump? Mine dumps its air into the crank for extra ventilation and a clean solution to the vent.

Reply #41July 22, 2009, 11:30:00 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »
hehe I see your like me and drag the laptop next to you in the shop while working lol
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #42July 26, 2009, 04:27:22 pm

BlueMule

• Junior

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 04:27:22 pm »
Brendan, outstanding work. Painting the engine compartment is always a very nice touch. I also applaud the lack of Orange/Red Silicone slathered and dripping out of every joint of the engine, the build looks very clean and professional.  ;) Also the wrinkle finish on the V/C is really "Old School", like you were reading my mind. If you are going to Turbo the engine I would like to suggest a "Catch Can" similar to this one, http://www.racinglab.com/weapon-r-oil-tank-826-113-101.html it helps keep any blowby oil out of the compressor. All in all a very nice start  8)

BlueMule

BlueMule
A.S.E. Master Since 1986
Nissan Master Since 1995
Auto Tech Since 1975
Totally Ignorant When It Comes To MY
'86 Golf TD

Reply #43August 11, 2009, 09:47:06 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 09:47:06 am »
Update time.  About two more weekends of work here.  Some fail, but mostly win.  :)

Got it timed:  WIN.

Waterpump, cam oil baffle, flanges:  WIN.  Flanges on the wrong way, waterpump on before the big-assed accessory bracket, forgetting to install the cam seal:  FAIL.

The biggest FAIL of all so far:  Fitting the stupid intake/exhaust manifolds.  Some of the grinding on the intake that I did:

And on the exhaust manifold... AFTER I had already grinded away a lot of material and painted it...

And the studs that NAPA had were too short too.   :banghead:

Now for some more WIN:

Got all of the stupid accessory brackets and crap figured out.  After going through ETKA finding all of the bolt sizes, then spending $60 on hardware.....  Finally it's together.  I got the engine off of the stand and on the hoist so I could put together the rear seal/clutch/etc...

Gasser clutch/pp/flywheel:

Flanges on the correct way this time...   :rolleyes:

Marked a new TDC spot on the flywheel....

More things to go on the car...

:laugh:

Shown here:  Missing Linkz complete hardware kit, oil-pan baffle/gasket, and the gauges above:  (oil pan was temporarily installed for the other pics to catch drippings)

Money shot!

Won't be long now!!!  Turbo should be coming this week, along with oil lines and a new T3 8v manifold.  Could realistically have the engine ready to put in the car this weekend.  Probably won't happen though.  Still a fair amount of things to do...

Some wiring- for the gauges, also need all of the senders and sensors figured out, still need a boost gauge, I would like to have a tach cluster too.  Also going to run a small fuel lift-pump, so I have to do a circuit for that and figure out how to mount it, re-doing the glowplug circuit to a better design, relaying the headlights, etc....

Mechanicals:  Build the downpipe and exhaust, fabricate caps/block-offs for the manifold, run all new vac/boost tubing, fabricate the turbo intake/intercooler piping, hook up a manual boost controller,  :laugh:
mount the intercooler somewhere, still need a damn oil cooler........

Lot of work ahead but most of the hard stuff is over.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Reply #44August 11, 2009, 12:26:08 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 12:26:08 pm »
Hmm, maybe.  I don't really have a complete turbo, just a junk turbine housing.  With the manifold flipped, the turbine housing is about 2 inches away from the rear mount- pointing directly toward it.  I don't see there being any possible way to get a downpipe on there with it that way, unless a new rear mount is fabricated to allow clearance.

Brendan
93 Corrado SLC VR6
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

-Red Green

Fixmyvw.com