Author Topic: Jetta project 200  (Read 131198 times)

Reply #450September 04, 2012, 06:21:49 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

Re: Jetta project 200
« Reply #450 on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »
Finally I could make the intercooler mounts after the rad frame project had progressed to this point.
Rubber mounts on every four corners of the I/C. I also have hump hoses for both inlet and outlet tubes,
so the I/C should be safe from vibration damage!

Lower mounting brackets:

Safely in place!

(on top left you can just see the modified top part of the frame that allows for the vibration insulated top mounts for both sides of the I/C)

A perfect fit!

Looking good from this angle too. Almost 100% of the core is in direct air flow through the grille.
I will make some aluminum air guides to perfect it, but now I'll just try to get the support frame done.

Then the I/C brackets had to be bended somewhat for them to double as supports for the oil cooler and the fuel cooler.

Upper mounting brackets for the aforementioned aux coolers:

So here's how the auxiliary coolers will be mounted:

...resulting in this:

I think the big radiator is not a bad move after how I have mounted the I/C and aux coolers. As a matter of fact, I think all of the cooling
air that reaches the radiator, has already gone though one of the other coolers. This is of course what I am trying to achieve - maximum
cooling effect for the I/C, oil and fuel coolers - but this will require more of the water radiator.
BUT, the Passat TDI radiator is exactly the solution I need.

I'll update more soon, meanwhile - feel free to comment!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:51:49 pm by TurboJ »
---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #451September 04, 2012, 07:02:33 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #451 on: September 04, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »
You might want to give a little thought to using those cooler brackets for templates. The way they are built, they have a service life of 20 minutes on a bumpy road.

Reply #452September 04, 2012, 07:12:39 pm

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #452 on: September 04, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »
You bet I have given it thought!

Tomorrow they will be welded in place and strengthened with 3D profiles.

Reply #453September 05, 2012, 02:05:29 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2012, 02:05:29 am »
Getting closer and closer to a finished car! Good work! ;D

What setup are you running on the AAZ injectors? (nozzles, opening pressures)

What size is that Tial wastegate?

And by the way, those Moccamaster coffee makers are the best!  ;)
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #454September 05, 2012, 04:00:21 am

millertime

• User+

« Reply #454 on: September 05, 2012, 04:00:21 am »
Your build is amazing.  Very inspirational.  I'm currently swapping a 1.6 eco into my jetta and its not 1% as clean as yours.  Super awesome build. 

Reply #455September 05, 2012, 04:07:29 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #455 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:29 am »
Hi,

great to see progress here and even greater to see what you do and how you do it (i would love to have the same patience for detailes).
As written earlier, this is in my eyes the "overall do it right" built threat and i follow your post since nearly 4 years in a regularly manner now, long for seeing the end result.

I like your fuel catcher and have to state out, that i never have thought about that the stock fuel pipe could be a performance issue. I have had several air-leak issue over the years in different cars during full pulls in first or second gear, when the engine speed is increasing too fast, but my way to overcome was allways a small electrical feed pump directly after the tank. You have wrote that you expect performance gain from cooler fuel, due to the fuel cooler, but even if i think this is a worth instalation, because the cooler fuel will keep the pump temperature in a good range, which could be very healthfull at high revs, i did not find a physical explaination for a performance gain. I mean for sure, due to the density change the injected mass will decrease with increasing temperature, but this could be overcome with just a slightly higher injection rate in cold condition, or do you mean that shortened injection time for equal mass flow, due to decreased internal pump leakage (between high pressure and low pressure room) and higher density will bring the perfromace gain? (sorry for the way to long sentence)

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #456September 05, 2012, 10:03:24 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2012, 10:03:24 am »
I didn't take mine up that high, but I did it real similar to you. Let me tell you I had to take the core support out about 953 times, so I feel for you. With the big bumper you have more options to hide stuff too. Good job.

You would be surprised how that thin sheet metal will last on dirt and gravel roads. Mine made it from May to Dec approx 20,000 miles, and is still working the engine just ingested the precup. A bead of weld won't hurt it at all, but if that is the difference between getting it on the road or not, don't worry about it.

Reply #457September 06, 2012, 05:55:48 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #457 on: September 06, 2012, 05:55:48 am »
I didn't take mine up that high, but I did it real similar to you. Let me tell you I had to take the core support out about 953 times, so I feel for you. With the big bumper you have more options to hide stuff too. Good job.

You would be surprised how that thin sheet metal will last on dirt and gravel roads. Mine made it from May to Dec approx 20,000 miles, and is still working the engine just ingested the precup. A bead of weld won't hurt it at all, but if that is the difference between getting it on the road or not, don't worry about it.

Thanks for all your kind words, mate!

I'm doing the frame over completely, and it's still middle way at most. I have to work in stages because I don't have a welder right now.
I hope to borrow one in the weekend. All will be so much easier.

The thing about the rad support I'm thinking about right now is that the aux coolers have very soft mounting points in the coolers themselves.
So I think they might develop stress fractures on their own bodies over time... So I will look into making some sturdy supports for them.

Reply #458September 06, 2012, 05:56:35 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #458 on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:35 am »
Your build is amazing.  Very inspirational.  I'm currently swapping a 1.6 eco into my jetta and its not 1% as clean as yours.  Super awesome build. 

THANK you. It's so nice to get positive feedback!

Good luck on your own project!

Reply #459September 06, 2012, 05:58:40 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #459 on: September 06, 2012, 05:58:40 am »
Hi,

great to see progress here and even greater to see what you do and how you do it (i would love to have the same patience for detailes).
As written earlier, this is in my eyes the "overall do it right" built threat and i follow your post since nearly 4 years in a regularly manner now, long for seeing the end result.

I like your fuel catcher and have to state out, that i never have thought about that the stock fuel pipe could be a performance issue. I have had several air-leak issue over the years in different cars during full pulls in first or second gear, when the engine speed is increasing too fast, but my way to overcome was allways a small electrical feed pump directly after the tank. You have wrote that you expect performance gain from cooler fuel, due to the fuel cooler, but even if i think this is a worth instalation, because the cooler fuel will keep the pump temperature in a good range, which could be very healthfull at high revs, i did not find a physical explaination for a performance gain. I mean for sure, due to the density change the injected mass will decrease with increasing temperature, but this could be overcome with just a slightly higher injection rate in cold condition, or do you mean that shortened injection time for equal mass flow, due to decreased internal pump leakage (between high pressure and low pressure room) and higher density will bring the perfromace gain? (sorry for the way to long sentence)

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged

Thank you!!

I don't actually know what are the physics behind the cooler fuel making more hp - but it does, dyno tests prove this. Will tell you if I find a straight explanation!
Keeping the pump temperatures at bay is a major plus of course!

And I hope my new fuel lines will not leak... I think I might even cover all the joints with a special glue to be absolutely certain!

Reply #460September 06, 2012, 05:59:59 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #460 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:59 am »
Getting closer and closer to a finished car! Good work! ;D

What setup are you running on the AAZ injectors? (nozzles, opening pressures)

What size is that Tial wastegate?

And by the way, those Moccamaster coffee makers are the best!  ;)

AAZ injectors are stock twin-stage injectors, set to 150 bar opening pressure. Nozzles are stock AAZ.
These should be enough by a long way, but we'll see what goes when we get this thing to a dyno..

Will measure the TIAL W/G too - don't remember right now.

And yeah, the Moccamaster makes the wife way happy  ;D

Reply #461September 06, 2012, 06:02:50 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #461 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:50 am »
Aki just SMSd me and told me the specs of the manifolds too.

The exhaust manifold is originally from a late model AAZ (1.9 TD IDI).

The inlet manifold is originally out of a VW LT TurboD, then cut at both ends to create a 4-cyl inlet.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:11:18 am by TurboJ »

Reply #462September 06, 2012, 06:07:10 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #462 on: September 06, 2012, 06:07:10 am »
Here is the Passat TDI radiator I mentioned earlier.

In the picture it is next to a normal Golf 1.6 TD radiator.

The core dimensions are nice; here's a comparison between the two:

* Core area in the Passat rad is 2736 cm2 against Golf's 2160 cm2 - a 27 percent increase.
* Core volume (outer) is 9300 cm3 against the Golf's 7345 cm3 - also a 27 percent increase.

This should keep the temps in check!

Reply #463September 06, 2012, 06:11:23 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #463 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:23 am »
The lower rad support at this stage:

It'll only work as a base for air baffles.

The rad support is progressing:

The aux cooler supports are still not complete, but the I/C lower mounts are pretty much done:

Here you can see how the right hand side I/C top support just fits the newly shaped sheet metal at the top of the rad frame.

The angle of the aux coolers is matched to the front bumper's opening:

Getting closer to a finished product already!

Reply #464September 06, 2012, 06:11:51 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

« Reply #464 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:51 am »
The injectors looking nice after a hammerite treatment:

S-PAutomotive.com