Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Jetta project 200  (Read 130547 times)

November 03, 2008, 05:57:44 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:57:44 am »
Let me introduce my project car, and a story of how things get seriously out of hand.
I bought this '91 Jetta 1.6 TDIC last summer and the idea was to just fix it a little bit and maybe see what the engine pumps out with all stock parts.

Here's how the poor thing looked when I first got it:

...alas, with the 'little fixing' I got slightly carried away:

...this is how it sits now. Or in truth, after this pic was taken, even the very last techical bits have been removed and stripped down.

So, what originally was supposed to be just minor repair and detailing, has now turned into a full overhaul. And naturally, the parts that will be replaced must also be made better in the process.

This little rust bucket has covered some 470 thousand kms (about 295 k miles), so to be honest, an overhaul is of course due.
The car has had quite a colourful history, having been, among other things, used as a driving school car for the first years. When stripping the car down it did have a few interesting surprises in store. For example, some 10 kilos of unnecessery wires were removed along with a full NMT kit! 8)

At this point it has become quite clear what I want to do with this thing.
Style-wise, I will be implementing 'OEM+" and 'Old school' ideas, and trying to make this into a usable car that has the edge over modern equivalents in the performance department.
I won't be satisfied with the engine until it makes at least 2.5 times the original output (!), that being 80 hp / 59 kW of an original Golf GTD SB-engine that the car has been retro-fitted with. That may prove to be a challenge as it's my intention to try and retain most of the car's reliability... Obviously the car will also have to be able to go round cornerns and stop well.

I will be updating this topic while the work takes progress.
Any questions, comments or other feedback will be most welcome!

---------------------------------------
Jetta II 1.6 TD 'Project 200'

Reply #1November 03, 2008, 06:03:05 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:03:05 am »
Rust is going to be a major concern here.
The car had been repainted quite nicely a couple of years ago, but somehow the then-owner had completely ignored any rust repairs prior to painting. So wherever I looked, rust had taken hold of the areas below the surface that looked pretty OK still.

The smoke screen equipment:
To replace the car's original 'Eko-TD' engine, an SB engine had found a home under the bonnet. That's to say an intercooled 1.6 TD with 80 stock horse power. It wasn't up to it's former glory though as the car struggled to do 100 mph...

The stock turbocharger was a water cooled T2 that of course had nice spool-up, but that really did run out of puff over 1 bar (14 psi).
A bigger one was in order then...

Reply #2November 03, 2008, 06:09:14 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:09:14 am »

The original injection pump with the stock 9 mm head was sold on.
The second picture shows an OE KKK K24 turbo. That was supposed to go in, but after some thought it was decided to be too small still.'It's how it always goes: Once you start to tear things down and start finding replacement parts, your power goal just soars and the things you first got won't cut it after all...
Third picture shows the original down pipe with connection to the exhaust system. What a straw! Not recommended.

One of the few positive things about this project was the engine block.
The engine itself had far less miles on it than the car itself, but it had even been overhauled recently. 15 k kms ago it had been rebored and fitted with 0.5 mm oversize pistons. Well, that's at least one problem less...

The new 'hi-po' engine was a go with a nice layer of paint to do first:

..and this is how it turned out.

Reply #3November 03, 2008, 06:14:32 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:14:32 am »
So we have begun our attack against the rust monster.
Battles have been fierce and for a while it seemed like the enemy was winning...

The A-pillars had been rusted through on both sides.
Also the bases of both front and rear screen were wreck.
Let's see if I can muster up enough courage to see how the floor looks like!

To everybody's surprise there were even some un-damaged places left on the bodywork. Even so, I'll be very happy if we can get this thing to the paint shop before the year is over. As for the new colour - it'll be the same coulur actually! Tornado Rot all the way.

Reply #4November 03, 2008, 06:35:20 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 06:35:20 am »
Now on to the interesting bits :)
Originally, the engine was only supposed to be upgraded on the turbo and exhaust departments. But you know how it always goes...
Before I knew it, my power goal had grown from 130 hp to 150 hp and finally 200 hp...
So all sanity was left behind and we set to build a true 'monstah' with my friend Aki,  at whose garage the following pics were taken.

Here's some of the main ingredients:

...On the back ground you can see Aki's own 1.9 TD project engine that in it's latest incarnation pumped out 260 horsepower with both a blower and a turbo (!) Now he's gonna put in a multi-valve head and twin turbos... you know, the usual.

As for my engine, this is the recipe we will be following:

1.6 TD block with 0.5 mm oversize pistons  (SB-block)
1.9 AAZ head, ported and combustion chamber smoothed out
AAZ-camshaft with 'R-koneistus' reground profile
AAZ three-layer head gasket
Aki-design special head studs and nuts
1.9D (1Y) exhaust manifold modified for a T25 flange
1.9D (1Y) inlet with a WRC-style twin-plenum
Schwitzer S1BG -turbo with  40/47 mm wheels and a 16 psi actuator
2.5" 'Group A' stainless steel exhaust
Twin-Downpipe with a separate pipe for the waste gate
55x23 cm front-mount intercooler
External oil cooler with a thermo-controlled adapter
Top Secret injection pump with 11mm head
AAZ injectors
Main girdle for the block and 1Y oil baffle

We'll see how it turns out, but I suspect it's going to be fun!

The special injection pump looks like this. The bolts are only there to protect it from dust..

The special steel head studs fitted to the block. These have zero stretch, and will really help the head gasket to seal. 8)

A heap of performance parts and an almost new AAZ head. I almost feel sorry for the poor thing...

The famous main girdle. Will help hold the famously fragile bottom end in one piece. We will be using stock con-rods which are flimsy, but with careful matching of the turbo, injection pump and camshaft we will make this engine 'a revver' while the low-down torque is limited. That's the key to longevity with stock internals.

The head test fitted onto the block. Looking good!
And yes, that is a cast iron exhaust manifold from a normally aspirated diesel!

Test fitting the turbocharger. The exhaust manifold collector is farther away from the block's center line so we'll turn the turbo the other way.
That'll also make it easier to make the downpipe, boost and inlet pipework.
The 1Y inlet manifold will be further modified and fitted with a twin plenum that's crucial to divide the air flow evenly among all four cyliders. That's something the stock manifold doesn't QUITE do :)

Unfortunately this won't fit on the AAZ head un-modified. I didn't want to go drilling / tapping the AAZ head because I somehow suspect I may have to change the head at some point 8)

Reply #5November 03, 2008, 06:45:25 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:45:25 am »
This thing is gonna get hurt:

...and with these I presume the rust bucket should be able to stop too.
Those are Girling 54's with 280 mm Zimmermann discs.
Although I may still replace the discs with stock items as the are already a bit worn. New Zimmermanns are way too expensive.

Reply #6November 03, 2008, 06:53:07 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 06:53:07 am »
So, the welding is soon done. My god there have been a lot of places that had to be patched up! I managed to hurt my eye real bad too, by stupidly welding a particularly tough spot with my bare eyes.. The next day I didn't really leave the bed :)

Here are some results of the last patch-ups:

We had to re-do the rear screen's bottom support almost completely.
After all is said and done, it would not have been such a bad idea to source a more rust-free body somewhere. The problem is of course, that there aren't that many of those around here in Finland, with all the road-salting in the winter etc..

The left-down corner was the worst. Well, you can see how bad it was.

We had to make a new hole for the right-side wiper. The good thing was that with the wind screen surround, we only had to re-do half of the bottom part! :roll:
Well, at least the main sturcture seems to be pretty sound, which is always nice.
Special thanks to Marko for helping with the welding! With my pitiful welding skills the bad spots would not have been done.

Reply #7November 03, 2008, 06:57:03 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 06:57:03 am »
This piece of kit just arrived:

A cheap purchase on the German eBay, it's a 2.5 inch stainless steel racing system with a single straight-through silencer.
It's of course much thicker than the stock system, but I'm a bit worried about whether it will be able to support my power levels.
3-inch pipes aren't really available ready to fit, and fabbing one up myself would have ended costing way more than this unit which actually turned out to be very nice quality despite the cheap price.

I'll still have to get a flex-pipe for this,  and fab up a 3-inch twin-downpipe.

Reply #8November 03, 2008, 07:02:59 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 07:02:59 am »
When we were repairing all the rust damage, it was of course a good time to also modify the rear fenders. As you know, there isn't much room there the way these cars left the factory.

I cut off a 3-4 cm high piece of metal from both the outer and inner sheet.
Then I hammered the inner fender to meet the outer, after which they were spot welded together. Some seam sealer to finish the job, I think It'll now allow me to tune my coil-overs the way I like.

These should now be able to fit:

They're Lenso BSX, another cheap purchase on the German eBay 8)
Of course they're just BBS copies, but the quality and balance is very good. The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Sizes are 16 x 7.5 ET 25 and 195/45 R16 respectively. I may still need small spacers to acieve the stance I'm after, but that remains to be seen.

We finished off the body welding by filling the rear "logo" holes. It'll look much cleaner that way...

Reply #9November 03, 2008, 07:12:47 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12:47 am »
The intercooler and the oil cooler have arrived:

The I/C core is 55x23 cm. That's not huge of course, but it was the biggest one available with 60 mm thick core. I didn't want a thicker one as it might be a pain to make fit behind the stock bumper.
For the oil cooler I have a Mocal adapter plate that has an in-built thermostat allowing oil to flow through the cooler only above a certain temperature. No over-cooling for me.

And if I'm to take the engine work seriously, I might as well make it look good too:

Citric acid was very helpful in de-rusting and cleaning up parts that were either unpractical size or shape to be sanded down.
The acid is pretty effective - even the most rusted items only took 2 days to clean up. And let me tell you, there WAS rust! :roll:

For the valve cover, I went for a more peronalized look.
An experimental 'flake' paint was applied: First I cleaned it to bare metal. Then a couple of layers of high-heat black engine paint. When the last layer was still wet, I sprayed on a light coat of silver laquer from a meter's distance. As the small flakes attach the surface only lightly, it's going to need a high-temp clear laquer on top still. Hopefully it'll stand the heat, because I really like the way it looks in real life.

Reply #10November 03, 2008, 07:17:17 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:17:17 am »
Things are going well at the garage. This weekend we met up with a couple of VW guys and started to put the engine together.

First off, we stripped the cylinder head so that porting and other mods can later take place.

Aki had already modified the pre-chamber openings a bit.
Apparently it's not a good idea to make the holes hugely bigger if one's not after the ultimate power. A bit of smoothing-off works a treat on a daily-driven TD.
The valve springs will need shimming too. The engine probably won't rev much past 6k rpm, but add boost and spirited driving to the equation, it's clear that the valve springs need attention.

Here's a comparison between a stock AAZ head, and Aki's twin charged moster's head. My head will get a similar shape for its combustion chambers, but porting will be a bit less extreme to aid longevity.

Reply #11November 03, 2008, 07:23:59 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 07:23:59 am »
In case someone wondered why it would be a good idea to use a cast, normally aspirated exhaust manifold as a basis for a performance manifold, here's why:

The header canals don't get a much better shape than that.
We aim for two things with the exhaust manifold: It has to be smooth, and it has to be short. That way we'll get as much energy as possible all the way to the turbine while not causing much flow resistance.
Even the collector diameter just happens to be EXACTLY right for the T25 flange!

Turbos can be strange sometimes:

On the front you can see my Schwitzer S1BG, and on the back is a stock turbo from a M-B 300 turbodiesel, a KKK K26. Now, the picture doesn't really tell, but if you saw the two side by side, the size difference is simply HUGE. Still, they make almost exactly the same power. A bit over 200 hp on a diesel application, apparently.
For a scale comparison, we added a container of project oil. That's 0W4.5 and it's not synthetic  8)

Reply #12November 03, 2008, 07:38:55 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 07:38:55 am »
Then we got to work with the engine block:

On the lower surface of the block we drilled a series of holes that will hold the main girdle on place. One hole next to each original oil sump holding one. Conical bolts will have to be used to clear the sump's sealing surface.

As we know, the bottom end of the block isn't exactly sturdy. The walls are thin, and the main bearing caps have very little support from the block.
The girdle solves this problem effectively.
In order to make the girdle sit tightly on the bottom surface it has to have the ability to be torqued down with real force.
For that purpose, a set of long special steel studs were made that will go through the girdle and replace the original main bearing cap bolts.
To be able to use stock caps, we had to fill the void with something.
Aki made some special sockets for this purpose out of hard tool steel.
They will not compress, allowing for a reliable structure to be torqued down. There's actually a very small gap for each socket, and the main girdle will bend down ever so slightly to fill the gap.

Fitting the main bearing cap studs and sockets:

Girdle in place:
]
An extra oil baffle was deemed necessery because the car's performance is going to be "slightly" different from original.
It's even possible that from time to time, it may get driven through a bend!  :roll:
This baffle was sourced out of the naturally aspirated 1.9 D (1Y).
That little engine has proven to be a valuable donor for the performance engine - something that was not really expected.
Now, since the baffle had to have holes cut to it to allow the cap studs come through, there were now holes for the oil to flow down too. So we had to make the original openings smaller. A hammer did a good job..

The top surface of the block will be left as-is otherwise, but extra holes had to be drilled for the water passages that the 1,9 engine has but the 1,6 does not. There are two holes between every cylinder. These are necessery since we'll be using the 1.9 AAZ head.

Reply #13November 03, 2008, 07:48:20 am

TurboJ

• Veteran

Jetta project 200
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:48:20 am »
Now there was only left the balancing of the engine internals.
We satisfied with two gram-accuracy with each of the moving parts.
Better than that shouldn't be necessery since the engine probably won't rev much past 6k rpm.

Everything looked pretty good to begin with, but one of the recently-fitted oversize pistons was seriously over weight. While the others were all within three grams, the fat one was 12 grams over!
That lead to the piston's downside looking 'interesting' after all the extra weigh was ground down.

We noticed that the 1.6 TD and 1.9 TD have some unexpected differences.
In the picture are the stock crankshafts of said engines.
On the left is the 1.6 and on the right the 1.9:

Just by looking at them you will see that they differ quite radically.
But once we weighed them, we couldn't really believe the result:
The 1.6 crank weighs 11,4 kg, but the 1.9 one weighs 16,0 kgs!
It's no wonder that the 1.6 is a keen revver compared to the 1.9.

So the naturally aspirated 1Y engine has donated quite a few parts for my project engine - which is a good thing really, because apart from this, there's really only one valid use for a N/A diesel:

At this point, thanks are once again very much in order:
Engine work, all the machining and custom parts: A deep bow and big thank to der Motorenmeister Aki.
Also, many thanks for all the help to herrn Ingenieur Petteri.
I bet uncle Rudolf would be proud.
This is a good place to continue...

Reply #14November 03, 2008, 10:06:43 am

53 willys

Jetta project 200
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 10:06:43 am »
very cool build up! and nice work too.
200hp+1.6TD+reliability=  :lol:
when you read about the 1.6's with more then 150hp seems like reliability is out the door?

how much did those BBS knockoffs cost you?? those are pretty nice looking 8)

S-PAutomotive.com