S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6td passenger side motor mount bracket, in rabbit caddy mk1, gas eng mount q's  (Read 3311 times)

March 21, 2014, 02:46:14 pm

purvisgs

• User+

I have the 1.6l na diesel mount but would prefer not to pull ip from my donor engine (no timing dial tool right now, I loaned it out and it's still "missing". ).

I have seen pictures of what looks like  mk1 gas ??? engine mount used which would not require pulling the ip but would apparently require some timing cover modifications...

Can anyone who has used the "gas"? Mk1 bracket comment on what modifications are required to make it fit. Or should I bite the bullet and pull the ip to use the 1.6d rabbit bracket.

Thanks!

Reply #1March 21, 2014, 04:12:08 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
You will need to find an AAZ pump mount with a 50mm mounting diameter otherwise there will be nothing to bolt the pump to. Or you could use a MK2 diesel mount and do some cutting to make it work.
Tyler

Reply #2March 21, 2014, 05:38:54 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
hes talking about bolting a mk1 gas motor mount over top of a mk2 or mk3 pump mount
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3March 21, 2014, 06:19:17 pm

purvisgs

• User+

I hava a mf code 1.6td out of a mk2, not an aaz. To be clear.  On mk2 the mount is on the rear, whereas on mk1 it is on the side of engine bay.

I have seen about a hundred write ups about 1.6td install in a caddy/rabbit over the years and just about every one says "it's a direct swap, just bolt on the accessories from your old engine. You may have to modify linkage to clear down pipe". I can't understand how none of these people who did this swap over the years would have mentioned it.

About half way down this http://tomsebooks.com/newpoweroldcaddy.htm is A few pictures, unfortunately the angle doesn't show which bracket he is using. 3/4 down the page (image 79) is a picture of the plastic timing cover cut out to clear. I believe it is a mk1 diesel 1.6na or mk1 gas like this:

What about the option of cutting off the ip mounting bolt portion of the bracket I have
Thank you very much for the reply

Reply #4March 27, 2014, 02:02:44 am

JamesT

• Junior

I did this to mount my AAZ in a caddy. I used a mk1 gas mount that needed to be modified a little. I think I just needed to clearance a bit off the "pump" side of it. Then I shimmed up the hole that the AAZ timing cover doesn't sit underneath with a washer. The timing cover backing plate needed to be cut to fit in the little step, and the outer cover needed to be trimmed to clear the mount itself. Otherwise, it was pretty straight forward.

Side note: If you use the mk1 diesel mount and pump bracket and the AAZ serpentine setup, you won't be able to access the lower pump bolt to set the timing. I learned this the hard way.
93 Golf - AAZ with some fueling
78 Rabbit - 1.5 DIESEL (finally)
[(+)===o===(+)]
 (++\==o==/++)

Reply #5March 30, 2014, 11:50:02 am

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

I did the same thing in my AAZ install as JamesT, save for using a Mk2 timing cover assembly which still needed trimming; the washers under the two front mount holes are important, because if you don't add them the vibration of the diesel engine will loosen those two front bolts.  Using a gasser mount means you don't have to cut a Mk1 diesel mount, which you could sell on.