S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: First knocking....now nothing...not even running  (Read 4094 times)

June 07, 2004, 09:07:18 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
First knocking....now nothing...not even running
« on: June 07, 2004, 09:07:18 pm »
Well, dove into the engine headfirst tonight to try to resolve the knock issue. By the way, my cranium hurts a bit now...just kidding.

Well, I put the crank to TDC according to the transmission mark, and compared it against the timing mark on the inj. pump, and then compare it to the cam timing...and this is what I found:

It looks like it's a little off to me.  I couldn't even get the lock plate in there.

But of course I had some help:

Well, I took off the belt, adjusted the cam timing so it was set properly.

It ran when I pulled it into the garage. But now I can start it, but I can't keep it running for the life of me.  It will run, with the cold start pulled all the way out, and my foot feathering the pedal...but it won't stay going.

I figure I need to adjust the injection pump timing, but that's causing me trouble too.   I can loosen two of the pump bolts, but can't get to the third. How do I adjust the pump timing correctly. I have been told that I need to move it forward or back, but I can't get it to budge.   Any thoughts there?

Any other thoughts?  I know it's a mess of thoughts, but maybe you can help me make sense of it.  Help, it's in the garage now and I need to get it back out and tooling around the neighborhood.

Thanks,
Mikey

Reply #1June 07, 2004, 09:22:51 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 09:22:51 pm »
Well, first of all you need to get a real mechanic. That big gallump standing next to you doesn't look like he knows one end of a wrench from the other... ;)

(I'll let the experts answer your mechanical questions... :D)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #2June 07, 2004, 09:26:34 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 09:26:34 pm »
There are 4 total fasteners that need to be loosened to adjust the pump timing.  The two on the top near the cogged belt drive gear are obvious.  There is one nut that you access by removing the rubber plug in the timing belt cover (removing the upper timing belt cover entirely works too) and then you stick in a 13mm socket through the hole in the bottom of the drive gear on the injection pump.  Then there is the 4th 13mm head bolt on the other end of the injection pump, sort of under where the fuel injection line unions are.  With all of those 4 bolts loose (just loose enough that the washer underneath the bolt can move, is a good test.)  The pump should rotate by hand freely.  You might have to give it a good little tug.  You know it rotates - forward and back refers to the movement of the top of the pump.  You can rotate the LDA (boost enrichment device) closer to the head to advance it or farther away from the head to retard it.  Sounds like you need more advance if it's barely running and needs the cold start knob pulled out!  Good luck and remember to check out the Bentley manual on this as well.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3June 08, 2004, 06:00:41 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 06:00:41 am »
Thanks for the insight as always guys. I would be dead in the water if it weren't for you. I am going to try to work on it this afternoon or evening.

I will keep you up to date on the results.

Mikey

Reply #4June 08, 2004, 09:09:03 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:09:03 am »
VW timing can bite you in the arse sometimes.  Like with my Rocco.  It ran decent when I bought it, changed the timing belt, and the way I "timed" it was by not moving ANYTHING when I changed the belt, so everything was in the same place.  That worked good enough, and it ran after the change.  But I didnt properly tension the adjuster, and it jumped time.  I had a senior tech at my previous work look at it, and we were trying to get it back to dead time (pull off everything, put it all back in at TDC).  Well, after all that, it wouldnt start and we found that at one point in it's life, someone changed the clutch and put the flywheel back on wrong.  So that made the flywheel marks useless and kept us scratching our heads for quite some time.  I had to use the 'ol "pen in #1 cylinder" trick to get it close enough that it would run again.    If you have it all timed dead nuts on, and you're sure the flywheel marks are correct, then timing isnt your problem. :)

Good luck, keep us posted!
Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #5June 09, 2004, 07:52:21 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 07:52:21 am »
It's running again, but the noise is still there.

It sure does sound like something metallic, but I'm not sure.

The oil pan's coming off next.

Mikey

S-PAutomotive.com