Author Topic: 87-94 ford diesel glow plug controller for a 1.6TD???  (Read 9476 times)

Reply #30October 08, 2008, 12:16:18 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

87-94 ford diesel glow plug controller for a 1.6TD???
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 12:16:18 pm »
Mark(The Miser)UK wrote:
blackdogvan wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it the case that the dedicated LED circuitry lies, and you are better off monitoring straight off the bus bar/s

Ya know when it went in I didn't trust the LED bit & went to the bus bar! Good memory!!

As for the gasser relay base I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

Yep it's the same base. There is about 3 wires to move/reuse. I have a list somewhere

man that would be some good info to post up if you got it??
it looks like it's missing the glow plug light spade/connection at my quick glance I took...

Another thing about this relay, it looks at the head temp sensor & disables the plugs if you are starting a warm engine. My AAZ starter didn't have the rpm to consistently start a warm engine with no plugs something a mech friend of mine said is normal, some people opt for a higher rpm tdi starter to solve this. So long story short I just unplugged the temp sensor.

So to sum up, the super smart relay has a LED output that lies if your relay sticks on and you may not want the temp sensor part hooked up. About the only thing it does is come on automatically with the ignition & shuts itself off after a few seconds.
1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #31October 08, 2008, 01:33:38 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 01:33:38 pm »
Quote from: "blackdogvan"
Mark(The Miser)UK wrote:
blackdogvan wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it the case that the dedicated LED circuitry lies, and you are better off monitoring straight off the bus bar/s

Ya know when it went in I didn't trust the LED bit & went to the bus bar! Good memory!!

Yep it's the same base. There is about 3 wires to move/reuse. I have a list somewhere

it looks like it's missing the glow plug light spade/connection at my quick glance I took...

Another thing about this relay, it looks at the head temp sensor & disables the plugs if you are starting a warm engine. My AAZ starter didn't have the rpm to consistently start a warm engine with no plugs something a mech friend of mine said is normal, some people opt for a higher rpm tdi starter to solve this. So long story short I just unplugged the temp sensor.

So to sum up, the super smart relay has a LED output that lies if your relay sticks on and you may not want the temp sensor part hooked up. About the only thing it does is come on automatically with the ignition & shuts itself off after a few seconds.

Ya I can confirm the head sensor disableing the GP's when it's warm.

Mine is unplugged as well, turns off a few seconds after I fire it up.

I wonder if we could just run a wire to the "Check Engine" light in this case for the GP light..
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #32October 08, 2008, 03:13:10 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 03:13:10 pm »
Quote from: "53 willys"
Quote from: "Mark(The Miser)UK"

Duh
Willys I may have misled you; all my cable tracing was for mk2 gasser to diesel stuff, so I guess your mk3 relayboard looks like something from a different planet  :roll:
sorry :cry: ...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #33October 08, 2008, 04:26:01 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »
Quote from: "53 willys"

Duh
Willys I may have misled you; all my cable tracing was for mk2 gasser to diesel stuff, so I guess your mk3 relayboard looks like something from a different planet  :roll:
sorry :cry: ...

Nope your cool Mark, we are working on a mk2....

92 GLI to be exact.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #34October 08, 2008, 08:31:20 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »
OK lets try this:

On mk2 stuff, relay position 2 on a gasser was used for inlet manifold preheater for carb stuff. On fuel injection it was for the fuel pump.
Same socket is used by diesel setup.
Here's what we have internally, If you're good you'll recognise the cluster of pins near top left ;)

This is base of glowplug relay. Basic picture snaffled from Roger's excellent Caddy site. I've added the important bits:
Damn, for 'N' read 'P' on the diagram

]

Wire changes Gasser to Diesel:
Terminal 50 starter signal is actually already built in. Same with '85' the [31] labelled system earth, and '86' ignition supply.

'30' This is the main red/white directly from battery to back of relay board. As this now  supplies the glowplugs  rather than the ignition coil, use the larger one swiped from the diesel donar vehicle or just remade. This pushes on to the 'large N' terminal.
From any of the 6 'P' terminals, take your glow plug supply back out (I removed a smaller red line that was for the preheater in the case of my 1.6 Carb'ed gasser.)
The 'T'  coolant temp sensor needs a wire from the back of the relay board 'D13' There may be a gasser wire convienient, [I'll edit later if I spot it] ;) Take it to the sensor on top rad hose.
Finally, I think ;) The 'L' LED indicator.  This wire  blue /green  may not be in the loom towards the  instruments. It comes from terminal B6 on the back of the relayboard and goes through instrument connector block  T14, position 10.
Incidentally the red/black wire on the gasser to the coil [terminal 1] can connect directly to the installed wire coming up from the 'W' terminal It then links to the instrument panel directly on the gasser tach  [replace tach, or use Reg Cheeseman's very clever replacement tach circuit...
I think that's it :)... Except here's a poor copy  of the back of the relay board so that you can under stand the  'B6', and 'P' and 'N' waffling I've been on about :roll:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/bentley.vw.fuse.panel.rear.1984-1993.htm

Absolutely finally; some of the early Mk2/ late mk1 relay boards used the  'H',s for power out[ or is it in :roll: ] and a few other labelling differences
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...