S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: (long) 81 Golf GTD 1.6td CY "Hydraulic" head conve  (Read 3817 times)

Reply #15October 06, 2008, 12:09:30 am

fighting_First

Re: The engine cranks hard so the starter is ok, fuel comes
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 12:09:30 am »
Starting problem very likely glowplugs, also if you have a collapsed hydro, or a very lazy one, could be your problem especially with a small oil pump...

How can a crappy injector cause runaway? Injector is dealt a metered amount of fuel once every 4 strokes, even if you stuffed an adaptor onto the end of the fuel line  12mm male to 25 male or what ever it is,  no runaway. Runaway is the burning of sump oil that is why it cannot be turned off with the solenoid.  Might get a surge from unburnt fuel every do often , but  I don't suppose one cylinder would do that :?
[/quote]

I think the run away came from a loose inj nozzle connection pipe, once again my fault as I didnt place the metal/rubber clamps to secure the piping and prevent vibration. The vibration started eating the ends of the pipe seat where it connects to the injector(17mm), possibly higher RPMs allowed fuel to spray and enter my open element filter.

Scary, thanks for the info I will look into your take as it also makes pure sense.

Sean

Reply #16October 06, 2008, 01:58:12 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

(long) 81 Golf GTD 1.6td CY "Hydraulic" head conve
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 01:58:12 am »
Maybe your pump itself was causing the runaway. This can happen if wrongly adjusted. there's reference to it on these threads somewhere.
Always use those clamps. Several cases of cracked pipes floating around these fora.
If your pump is wrongly set, then the problem will be back if you go over a certain speed.
" Keep on truckin"
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...