S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: New to the forum, but not to VW diesels. Having an oil prob  (Read 5644 times)

Reply #15October 07, 2008, 12:59:36 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

New to the forum, but not to VW diesels. Having an oil prob
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »
Now that i've seen the pics.
Is the alt compinsator mounted on hte passenger inner fender?
It's that other thing shown in your pic.
"Altitude Controll Aneroid"

Is the line ran as shown on the sticker?

dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #16October 07, 2008, 01:01:50 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »
Take a pic of the back of the IP, like this pic but further to the right and facing the pump still.  Make sense?

dan

Reply #17October 07, 2008, 02:39:02 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39:02 pm »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
From the diagram, it looks as though if the "feeler pin o-ring" in the LDA is leaking you will indeed suck diesel fuel into your engine block.

Andrew

Only if the diaphragm is bad, the top of the diaphragm is sealed from the body of the pump.
dan

Reply #18October 07, 2008, 10:47:41 pm

Supersport654

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 10:47:41 pm »
Quote from: "zukgod1"
From the diagram, it looks as though if the "feeler pin o-ring" in the LDA is leaking you will indeed suck diesel fuel into your engine block.

Andrew

Only if the diaphragm is bad, the top of the diaphragm is sealed from the body of the pump.

The line from the vacuum pump attaches to the LDA below the diaphragm.  I think.  It is this suction that actuates the aneroid pin...and by extension the feeler pin below it.  As I said I considered this a possibility before.  There is a bit of fuel in the LDA below the diaphragm, so the feeler pin o-ring is leaking.  But there does not seem to be enough to cause the problem I am seeing.  And when I remove the line from the LDA to the vacuum pump, no fuel comes out of it.  Not one bit.  It's really strange...

I honestly think that this engine runs far too well for the problem to be a head gasket.  It lights right up with a flick of the key, and runs steady, strong, and smooth.  As I said before, the oil looks fine...other than being thin and there being too much of it.  Here is the requested pic of the back of the pump...  Thanks guys!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a59/cobrajet25/backofpump.jpg

Reply #19October 27, 2008, 04:46:13 am

Supersport654

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 04:46:13 am »
Perhaps it's sucking the fuel out past the feeler pin o-ring, but when vacuum is not applied it doesn't leak.

I can't see how a leaking headgasket would leak fuel into the sump, coolant maybe, but not fuel.

Andrew

Just for the sake of future reference, I think I have this problem figured out.  In order to check for diesel being sucked through the aneroid vacuum line, I changed the oil and disconnected the vacuum line from the LDA on the injection pump.  I replaced the t-fitting with a straight fitting so I could keep vacuum to operate brakes, climate control, etc.  I capped the barb fitting on the pump.  I had planned to drive the car for 1500-2000 miles, keeping tabs on the oil level along the way.

After 300-400 miles, I noticed that diesel was leaking out of the aneroid PAST THE RUBBER CAP on the barb fitting.  When I removed the cap to see how much diesel leaked out, diesel fuel SQUIRTED OUT UNDER PRESSURE!  This happened with the engine OFF.

I think it's obvious this is how diesel was getting into my oil.  It was leaking past the aneroid feeler pin o-ring, into the aneroid, being sucked up through the vacuum line, into the vacuum pump, and from there was draining into the crankcase.  Now to replace the o-ring in the aneroid...which looks like a pain in the ass.  Any tips?  Thanks for your help guys!   ---Aaron

Fixmyvw.com