S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Just having no luck at all  (Read 3125 times)

June 07, 2004, 09:03:58 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Just having no luck at all
« on: June 07, 2004, 09:03:58 pm »
Well I finally got my newly rebuilt 1.6 Eco diesel running tonight. Turns out it was a bad ground after all on the starter click click. I took off the starter, and all my connections and cleaned them up really well with a wire wheel. That worked. I got it running on the 4th five second turn of the key. No priming nothing, it felt great.   But now I have another problem.  

Oh before I forget the whole purpose of rebuilding was blown head gasket and then no oil pressure at idle from the head port. Well guess what? Still no oil pressure from the head port. Now it has been completely redone and gone through, nothing was found bad, everyting was replaced and still no oil pressure,  Yes the gage is good because when I hook it up to the bottom oil pressure port I get 70psi.

Anyway, it runs great, really great, but I have some minor problems.  One I have a coolant leak from somewhere, can't find it for the hour i spent out looking, It is dripping off the ps mount bolt that goes to the block.  

Problem #2 is an oil leak. Oil is dripping off the back side of the oil pan lip on the timing belt side but on the back side of the lip. The Oil return line is dry, as well as the oil feed line to the turbo. I can't see anything coming down the back side of the block. I guess i will have to take off the timing belt cover and look closer.

How hard is it to change out the crank seal on the timing belt side?  I shouldn't have to seeing that it was just all done for the rebuild but it would be my luck.

My other problem is that darn clear fuel return line off the injection pump to the fuel filter. How in the heck do you get that hard thick, nonstretching line back over the barbs on the injection pump banjo?  I couldn't get it to go on at all, even used pliers.

My string of bad luck continues, went and got some 1/4 inch nylon air brake line for the return lines and every single one is pushed down as far as it will go and every single one is leaking. Just my luck. Back to the cloth covered hose.

The car runs great for the super short run I took in it.  I couldn't resist,  :wink: the new clutch made such a difference. The short throw shifter, WOW what a difference. But with all that fun and ready to drive i now have to figure out how to fix all this.  Any suggestions would be great. I'm hopeing someone else had the same problems on their rebuild and found all easy fixes,  Yea I know dream on!!!!!!  

Any help would be great.

Thanks

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1June 08, 2004, 09:54:30 am

n_tensetuning

• User+

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:54:30 am »
sounds like my situation....

1.6td off an 85 jetta  

on a cold start i get 75psi for oil pressure.... when the engine finally is warm, and at idle....  it goes down to 15psi

(and i tapped the oil pressure sender right on top of the oil cooler)

the oil pressure does climb  as i take off .... but it's weird to see such a low reading at idle.

d
81 vw caddy 1.6td

Reply #2June 08, 2004, 09:42:43 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:42:43 pm »
Got good news. I found the oil leak, it is coming from the intermediate shaft seal. So that isn't a hard fix, just have to mess with the timing belt but oh well.  The coolant leak hasn't shown up yet but then I didn't run it long enough to get it warmed up and under pressure.

I also got my return line taken care of. Got the Polyethlyne tube and cut it to fit. Looks great and works like a charm. :D

Hopefully they will have a seal locally so I can get that installed tomorrow.  :)
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD