Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 100822 times)

Reply #330August 22, 2011, 09:30:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D
« Reply #330 on: August 22, 2011, 09:30:53 pm »
I adjusted some valves last night. 6 of 8 needed adjusting. I have seen a decrease in egt. Not much but I will take every degree I can :>
I also replaced the front mount my wife ripped out with the BFI industries G60 front mount and worlds of better. I didn't get the trans mount in or the rear insert. I would like to do the trans mount next as it is poly stage 1. Any suggestions on how to get at it, or the easiest way to change that mount in an MK2?

Reply #331August 22, 2011, 09:39:31 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:31 pm »
I don't remember how I replaced my trans mount last time, but I do remember that I took out more bolts than I needed to! I think if you just undo the 17mm bolt on top, the couple on the bottom of the mount, you can lift the trans enough to pull it out that way

And are you saying that BFI's G60 mount is better than the stock? Was it stiffer or softer?

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #332August 22, 2011, 09:43:55 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
Stiffer than the stock rubber mount I had. The wife ripped mine out so it was a lot better. But even before she did that I think that this mount of theirs is a ton better than my whipped on stock one.

Reply #333August 25, 2011, 02:48:29 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2011, 02:48:29 pm »
Whoa! Out of curiosity, what's the longest you've held it 1500+ before?

like probably a minute before..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #334December 03, 2011, 11:43:54 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2011, 11:43:54 am »
Well, for the celebration of the birth of Christ I am sending back the Giles pump to see if he has anymore magic to do to her.

I took it off last night and replaced it with a 12mm Cummins pump. I have it timed and hopefully after I eat and clean the chimney I will have it running. If not I will have to get it back on before work Monday.

On another note as I was reading my stuff above, I did get the poly engine and trans mounts. I installed both, drove 1/2 mile, turned around drove another 1/2 mile home, and took the rear engine poly mount out. Too much vibration at idle-2,000rpm, but running down the road it was awesome. I left the poly trans mount in and it has worn in well. It was still a bit much at first, but now it only vibrates bad at idle.

Reply #335December 03, 2011, 08:47:06 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
Well, for the celebration of the birth of Christ I am sending back the Giles pump to see if he has anymore magic to do to her.

I took it off last night and replaced it with a 12mm Cummins pump. I have it timed and hopefully after I eat and clean the chimney I will have it running. If not I will have to get it back on before work Monday.

On another note as I was reading my stuff above, I did get the poly engine and trans mounts. I installed both, drove 1/2 mile, turned around drove another 1/2 mile home, and took the rear engine poly mount out. Too much vibration at idle-2,000rpm, but running down the road it was awesome. I left the poly trans mount in and it has worn in well. It was still a bit much at first, but now it only vibrates bad at idle.

Good to know about the poly mounts... what are you running up front?

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #336December 03, 2011, 09:22:28 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »
Look at your and my posts up maybe 4 posts, starting at post 330...hint, G60 bfi mount :D
Got it running, tons of snap, but we will see about power. I haven't got to take it out for the road test yet. I have it timed per Giles recommendation to right about 1.28mm. Still a bit of white at cold idle, but seems to be ok. I always had a little white even with the Giles pump.

Reply #337December 03, 2011, 10:34:38 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
Haha oh man, that's embarrassing! :P

Reply #338April 03, 2012, 08:19:05 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:05 am »
http://www.myspace.com/thefunnestmanalive/photos/albums/vw/1801086#mssrc=SitesPhotos_SP_AlbumCover_ViewAlbum

That is a link to myspace where I have all the pics. For whatever reason most of the pics from this thread aren't active here anymore, but they are over there. If you are needing something you can go through the pics if you want. I don't feel like reposting all of them right now.

Reply #339April 10, 2012, 09:38:34 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Finally starting Round 2 of this.

Here is what I have decided. I have around 300.00 of parts in an autohaus cart. I paid for 2 cylinderheads for my 1.6. I am going to do another 1.6. Then when things simmer down I will do an aaz. I figure I will have around 1,400.00 in the build that I am going to do and a special cylinder head will be made. I also will be glueing in the precups. I might be running an N/A head as the precups are supposed to be a tick smaller than the TD for a little less (read .5) compression. I will start the ROUND 2 thread when it all comes together.

Reply #340April 10, 2012, 10:22:13 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »
Would a smaller pre-cup (thus less space) not actually raise compression? (albeit .5)

Sounds good to me man, seeing as how you hate the ALH so much lol.

Reply #341April 11, 2012, 07:58:11 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2012, 07:58:11 am »
Yep...once again I wrote what I am meaning in reverse. The TD precups are supposed to be the tick smaller and yeild the .5 point of compression. From what others have said the TD and 1.5 had the same precup. I know that precups have different faces as one measures 30mm across and the other 32mm. The N/A has the 32mm face as far as I can tell and should give me a bit more surface area for my "glue" and the head to hold onto...I hope.

Reply #342June 16, 2012, 05:32:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2012, 05:32:11 pm »
Just got the call from the engine borer... the crank and bores were fine. He was considering honing and putting it back since he couldn't find pistons for it....but I had given him pistons to bore the motor to. He eventually found them. He said it would be about a week. He also found a sleeve for the intermediate shaft. THe mains and rods he said showed little to no wear at all and I could reuse the thrust washers :D
    I also took apart the head last night. I will hopefully be sending it and the IP out tomorrow. FULL PORT and undercut valve job for the head and GILES for the IP and injectors...you only live once right? I am breaking the bank for this so I hope all goes perfectly and no problems or do overs. I am hoping with the Giles IP and injectors and the fully ported head to make some more HP over stock, but still get some mileage. I will post some before and after head port pics as soon as I get it back.
Way back when, I was hoping that it all went perfectly...it didn't. I have posted the precup pics and will add the block pics soon. Should have the engine back soon and I have planned to have it running by the first week in July. It will depend on the machinist as I am pretty much ready to go on with this.

Side note, anyone have absolutely no issues with their pic hosters? Myspace just isn't really reliable as you can see.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:34:20 pm by theman53 »

Reply #343June 16, 2012, 08:52:16 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #343 on: June 16, 2012, 08:52:16 pm »

This is what it should have looked more like...you can still see a perfect crosshatch after 40,000 miles and I didn't use a douche bottle and sandpaper to hone it  ;) It has some rust and vertical scratches from hammering the pistons out, but otherwise I think it looks fantastic.

Reply #344June 17, 2012, 12:25:57 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:57 am »
I see u do not believe in them but where can I buy a douche bottle XD
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit