Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 100354 times)

Reply #195July 26, 2010, 11:29:10 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2010, 11:29:10 am »
Looks great for a garage job Lucas!

Sorry I didn't call you back.  I ended up working 9-7 with no lunch break on friday.  :(

Gonna be seeing this car in person soon I figure.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #196July 29, 2010, 08:46:58 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2010, 08:46:58 am »
I have had to fix exhaust on the benz so I haven't got anything done on the VW except peel tape.
I did see some spots that I didn't like as well as at first. I may wet sand or just leave it. I am not going to do anything with the paint until it is on the road though.

Reply #197August 07, 2010, 02:09:03 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:03 am »
I was trying to get water in it tonight so I could do the final torque and possibly start it tomorrow. It didn't happen though. The carpet is fighting me, but other than that things are going well. I made the alternator fit from my GTI so until I get A/C I will only have one belt. Made another sender out of key stock for the oil pressure gauge and the warning deal. I put the timing pump on and torqued the injectors. I installed the heat dissapator for the intake. I have no pictures though as I am not taking much since I am trying to work on it. I could get some tomorrow hopefully.

Reply #198August 07, 2010, 05:47:45 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2010, 05:47:45 pm »
I am pretty proud of my gauge consol I made. Probably the best work I have done on this thing.

The down pipe brace might not work as planned, but it will be better than nothing

You can see 3 gauge projects in one pic. The oil filter flange has some work done. The water outlet has work done. And the oil pressure sender unit made out of key stock.

This setup here flat out rules for non a/c alt tensioner if you don't have the brackets.

And here is where it sits for this weekend. Close but not there yet.

Reply #199August 09, 2010, 11:50:41 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2010, 11:50:41 am »
hotttt dammmmn! Thats lookin' purdy snazzy there Lucas!

I dig the console ;) that turned out great!

Reply #200August 15, 2010, 10:58:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »
Gauges hooked up, water in, plugged block heater in and let cool x2, final 100 ft/lbs torque of ARP studs, oil in filter and filter on car...12 hours of gauge working and a couple more for making the oil cooler work. When I have time I will prime the oil pump and make sure it is all working without leaks. Get the timing done and glow plugs. Then all I need is bumpers put on, plates, interior, seats, and work out the bugs. No pics as the wife went to Columbus and had the camera again  :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:12:25 am by theman53 »

Reply #201August 16, 2010, 08:50:25 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:25 am »
I have searched...
I don't really understand what the bentley is saying on this and I couldn't find anything in the search. I was hoping if someone could tell me where to hook up to keyed power on the fuse block. It is for this 86 Jetta west german built. I could use a test light if I had a battery in it, but I don't. Let me know if you can, Thanks Lucas.

Reply #202August 16, 2010, 11:12:57 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2010, 11:12:57 am »
I have searched...
I don't really understand what the bentley is saying on this and I couldn't find anything in the search. I was hoping if someone could tell me where to hook up to keyed power on the fuse block. It is for this 86 Jetta west german built. I could use a test light if I had a battery in it, but I don't. Let me know if you can, Thanks Lucas.

Connect you battery + terminal to ground. Use the beep setting on the DVM. Connect one DVM lead to ground and the other to the fuse you want to check. The one that beeps when the key is turned to "on" position is switched power. The radio fuse would be one I'd think?

Reply #203August 16, 2010, 05:14:09 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »
Sorry, I can use my test light naturally when I have the battery in. I am looking for just an empty fuse spot that would be on with the key that I can put a spade onto. I was wondering if anyone knew which ones were good for this and if the bottom or top was the one to jump on.

Reply #204August 16, 2010, 07:23:19 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:19 pm »
Sorry, I can use my test light naturally when I have the battery in. I am looking for just an empty fuse spot that would be on with the key that I can put a spade onto. I was wondering if anyone knew which ones were good for this and if the bottom or top was the one to jump on.

I gave an alternative so you do not have to install the battery and you're too lazy to use it?  ::)

Reply #205August 16, 2010, 08:02:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »
I thought you told me to use the battery...it isn't within walking distance from the car. I read hook up the + of the battery to ground and that is why I responded the way I did. I should have been more clear on the battery not being close by. I may choose your method though just cause it sounds neat :D

Reply #206August 16, 2010, 08:28:18 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
Sorry if I was unclear but I meant connect the battery cable + terminal of the car to ground, not the batterie's + terminal since you do not want to use the battery. Once the + terminal of the car is grounds, you are just finding which fuse is grounded as you turn on the ign switch. The one that beeps is switched +12.

Reply #207August 16, 2010, 11:11:32 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2010, 11:11:32 pm »
OH! Now I get it. I will try that the next time I get to work on it. If I don't bring the battery this time. I need to bring a camera too. It seems like I get a better response when I take pics.

Reply #208August 19, 2010, 10:33:30 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »
3 questions:
Background 1
I put oil in and primed the system. I had oil in the turbo feed line, up to the gauge*little leak at gauge fitting*, and it made the drill work hard. I couldn't see the gauge to tell what i had for pressure though. I was looking at the cam and trying to see where the oil comes out, but I didn't.
question 1 What should the cam and valve stuff look like with the oil pressure up there?

Background 2
I have a westach EGT and the micro 1000 probe. Directions say to tie the black and white to the black and white...I don't have black and white I have white and red, with the k type being yellow and red with the extension being black and red.

question2 Does any of this really matter, or not?

Background 3 The k type lead is a solid core wire. It won't crimp. I can't get a good connection.

question 3 How do you hook it up to the extension? Are you allowed to solider?

Reply #209August 20, 2010, 01:44:44 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2010, 01:44:44 pm »
3 questions:
Background 1
I put oil in and primed the system. I had oil in the turbo feed line, up to the gauge*little leak at gauge fitting*, and it made the drill work hard. I couldn't see the gauge to tell what i had for pressure though. I was looking at the cam and trying to see where the oil comes out, but I didn't.
question 1 What should the cam and valve stuff look like with the oil pressure up there?

Background 2
I have a westach EGT and the micro 1000 probe. Directions say to tie the black and white to the black and white...I don't have black and white I have white and red, with the k type being yellow and red with the extension being black and red.

question2 Does any of this really matter, or not?

Background 3 The k type lead is a solid core wire. It won't crimp. I can't get a good connection.

question 3 How do you hook it up to the extension? Are you allowed to solider?

they make extension wires for just this reason, and they have round terminals on them, they screw together..
VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

S-PAutomotive.com