Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 101007 times)

Reply #180July 04, 2010, 10:04:22 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2010, 10:04:22 pm »
It might be too late now but this may help

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/DIY/galga2ox9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/burnyourmoney/DIY/ce975f11.jpg

I wish I had the time to clean everything up like you are. It's going to look good once it's all done :)

I wouldn't worry about the bolts. They switched to 9 bolts when the went to 210mm. Since you used loctite you should be safe. The dealer stocks these last time I checked.
Tyler

Reply #181July 04, 2010, 10:11:46 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »
what does that tool do? Is it a clutch alignment tool?
I don't have time to clean everything. I am rushing to get this done. The paint will have pretty much no block sanding and will be the cheaper acrylic urethane instead of base clear. I might do a little block sanding if the D/A goes well and fast. I am going to take a bunch of stuff off and mask a little. My wife left our camera in columbus, so I might not get before and afters.

This is pretty much a have to kind of thing. The Mercedes is only getting about 26-30 MPG. The wife doesn't want me to spend another summer/dime on the car, so I am using all my vacation to get it done...I hope.

Reply #182July 04, 2010, 10:35:18 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »
I see where you are coming from. It still looks like you are doing a great job though

That is a shifter alignment tool. You loosen off the adjuster in the engine bay at the end of the long shift rod from the shifter, then you go in the car and remove the shifter boot and put that tool on the shifter. Then you tighten up the adjuster and away you go. The Bentley explains it better then that.
Tyler

Reply #183July 04, 2010, 10:41:43 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
Yep, That is what everyone needs. The instructions on the missing linkz shifter set didn't really say anything about marking it until after removing it...at least that is what I read, but I printed my own instead of buying his.

For what it is worth, I probably would still be doing it if I hadn't done it this way. I put it in 2nd and then went and put the shifter where I thought it should go. Then I went and tightened it all down. Shifted around and it was close, so I just moved it a little and got it where I think it is really good. I may make a tool like above or buy one as it was really stinking frustrating to do it the way I did. That is how bad it was as I am very tight with $$$ :D

Reply #184July 04, 2010, 10:47:35 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2010, 10:47:35 pm »
It's $12.00 at GAP if you feel the urge. I was used to working on mk1s and it would take hours to adjust the linkage properly. With that little gem it took like 5 minutes, I was ecstatic.

I guess I missed the part about you having a Missing Linkz kit. Those are probably the most frustrating things in the world to setup
Tyler

Reply #185July 06, 2010, 11:37:47 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2010, 11:37:47 pm »
Thanks BYM...I am going to order that next time I get parts as if I EVER do that agian I will need it.

Also, you all might want an update: I have the inside floors, passenger front door, passenger rear fender and door, and some misc. other stuff all covered in RUST BULLET. I will be finishing the body work tomorrow hopefully.
I made a gauge pannel for the center consol that still needs some work. I also undercoated the bottom lip thing under the core support. I will be putting a urethane black coating on the entire bottom of the car for more rust and rock protection so the undercoat will match that :D

The most exciting thing I did today was bolt the head on. I used that teflon joint sealant stuff in an above post, after I called the mfg. He thought it would be a perfect use of the stuff and said it would take 400 degrees continuously for life. The amazing thing is that it smashes flat. I put 2 pieces of it above and below the hole and overlapped the HG. The guy said it would pretty much go to zero thickness if compressed and it did. I am really hoping that it holds out. I also used the aviation permatex, so I really hope there is no leakage.
No pics as the wife's camera is still in Columbus :(

Reply #186July 11, 2010, 11:32:25 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:25 pm »

Well....I didn't make it. It is close in all respects, but nothing really got done. I still need to finish some body work and finish masking. I might have been more motivated if it hadn't taken 2 hours in the paint place to get all I needed. My sister was in vacationing from California and it was frowned upon for me to continue working on it all weekend. I got in about 5 hours since friday. So basically it is close but not close enough.
I washed it and found out that I need some seals. I had about 4 gallons of water on the floor, which told me the welds were water tight:D, but sucks that I have to get new seals and don't know which ones to get.
Filled it with fresh diesel. My fire only took about 4 gallons out. Yes the tank was completely full before the fire. You would be amazed how big of a fire can come from 4 gallons of diesel
The plan now is to get it masked and ready for paint. Paint. Then finish the engine stuff. Then hook up the gauges and interior stuff.

Reminds me. I think the sheet metal gauge consol I made up turned out sweet. Pics will come soon.

Round 2 of the heater core

pre bent oil cooler

begining stages of the gauge holder
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:22:05 pm by theman53 »

Reply #187July 22, 2010, 08:17:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2010, 08:17:28 am »

Well it is spot primed, block sanded, and needs a little more scuffing here and there before paint. I think I am painting it right there and I hope not much falls onto it as it isn't the best for dust and bugs.
I haven't had much chance to work on it since I took vacation to do so. Nobody did any work for me so the last 2 weeks I have been doing catch up.
Tonight I will take the winsheild out and reglue in. Tomorrow Medium Stratus Blue Metallic :D

Reply #188July 22, 2010, 08:19:33 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
Just an FYI in the pics above there see the dark spot under the car??? That is where the diesel puddle fire was when I was welding a little while ago. My welder is up front in the building there...as you see it was quite a flaming puddle.

Reply #189July 24, 2010, 02:22:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
It is painted.
I have found out that the biggest deal with painting is lighting. Which I had none really. I have one over head florescent light 2 eight foot bulbs on the drivers side. I also had my hand held L E D light for the rest of the car. It turned out OK, but it is hard to paint in the dark. I had left over paint and sprayed my junk Bronco and it looks amazing. So for anybody that wants to paint my #1 tip is have plenty of light.
Let me know if you want to see pics. I will get some and peel the masking tape off soon :D

Reply #190July 24, 2010, 07:19:03 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »
Nobody is interested in commenting without pics huh?
It looks better than what the camera is doing it justice. The close up shots are the worst parts of the paint job and I am still giving the thumbs up:D

This one above I am most proud of. From badge to badge there was a 1" deep crease that I pounded out and block sanded. You will never be able to tell it though. *badges were left on as they were glued and I didn't want to break them getting them out*

Those crappy spots in this last pic are the camera not the paint BTW.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:51:53 pm by theman53 »

Reply #191July 24, 2010, 09:09:13 pm

VW Smokr

• Junior

« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2010, 09:09:13 pm »
Looks nice! Great work.

J.R.
SoCal

Reply #192July 25, 2010, 11:36:33 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2010, 11:36:33 am »
I'm liking it, Lucas.

The highway dept.'s salt piles are quivering with anticipation!
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #193July 25, 2010, 09:38:18 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
Lucas, OMG Thats my old car blue! Before I roller'd it black ;)

From the pictures, it looks stellar! and you say the pics give it no justice! I AM IMPRESSED :) Did you just use a mediocre compressor and gun or did you go all out? Where did you get your paint!? is it VW code? I wish to do a dark copper/bronze and I think spray gun this time will be best ;)

PS. Did I do enough *** kissing? :P

Reply #194July 25, 2010, 09:50:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Lucas, OMG Thats my old car blue! Before I roller'd it black ;)

From the pictures, it looks stellar! and you say the pics give it no justice! I AM IMPRESSED :) Did you just use a mediocre compressor and gun or did you go all out? Where did you get your paint!? is it VW code? I wish to do a dark copper/bronze and I think spray gun this time will be best ;)

PS. Did I do enough *** kissing? :P
I had a Finex *cheap version of Sharpe* HVLP gun from a couple years ago when I did my truck doors. My compressor is in the background of the 6th pic down Iron Horse-supposed to be made in Canada. It was VW code stock for that car Medium Stratos Blue metallic LA5Z that I got from the local parts store. Omni brand which is the cheap PPG line and I went with a high solids mix. Some dust settled on it, but for the kind of girls I used to go with it will be just fine :D
Yes you did!!!

Fixmyvw.com