Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 100822 times)

Reply #285December 01, 2010, 05:03:16 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:16 pm »
1200 is MY limit for short bursts.

I don't mean to sound offensive but I think this is an unrealistic expectation for any sort of performance build.

How did you end up solving the issue of hooking the EGT probe up to the gauge?

What you could try doing if you have a spare pump kicking around is to swap in a shim or two into the advance piston and see how that effects things.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:06:13 pm by burn_your_money »
Tyler

Reply #286December 01, 2010, 05:58:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2010, 05:58:15 pm »
Run it with the line to the LDA disconnected and plugged.  With it set like that, then adjust the max fuel until when floored you get a bit of smoke that will clear when boost rises.
I have done that and this is the results. I never got any smoke I could see and EGT with no enrichment would still go over 1,200. I could without the enrichment easily keep the EGT 1,200 or under by turning the main fuel down, but it wouldn't get out of its own way.

I have less than 5 feet of K type pyro lead I bought off of Libby. I ended up attaching them with the leads provided by the Westach gauge just wrapped around the K type and wire nutted as Vince said not to solider.

I broke it in at 10 psi set with my MBC. That is when the EGT's were so bad I had to let off and downshift to go up a hill. Now at 15psi the EGT still has no signs of stopping when I let off, but it takes it much longer to get to the 1,200F

BYM:
I am willing to go more than 1,200F and have several times since this is a problem, but over and over 1,200F is the limit everyone is saying is safe. If 1,600F is safe I know I could do that in another 1/2 second floored after I hit 1,200F. This is my daily work car and I can't melt it down though. Sadly I have no other pump.
Thanks for all the replies eventually I know I will work this out, but I was hoping it wouldn't take as long as it has.

Reply #287December 01, 2010, 09:35:13 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:13 pm »
How hot have you gone? Does it plateau at a given temperature? The few heavily tuned vw diesels I have been in seemed to always spike to around 1600 and then hold it there on hard runs.

Is there any chance of getting a video of your gauges in action?

The shim would fit in a regular envelope so maybe someone with a pump torn down can send you a few to borrow for testing purposes.
Tyler

Reply #288December 01, 2010, 11:22:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »
I have a KKK K24 with Giles Pump and Giles rebuilt injectors. All engine, pump, injectors, have 5,000 miles. All were installed new at the same time.
I have old video here:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=106764485&release=108659160

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EDf9KOkB2o
That is before with the Giles custom ramp boost pin.
I have the westach gauge and micro 1,000 probe. It reacts fast.
I have had it to 1,300 maybe 5 times. Once was the only time extended maybe 3 to 4 seconds. If it plateaus at a certain temp I haven't seen that temp yet. The 1,300 for 3-4 seconds I wasn't paying close enough attention and in 5th climbing a hill with my foot steady it just got up there.

Reply #289December 20, 2010, 08:29:31 pm

Merffy

« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2010, 08:29:31 pm »
 Hey Lucas; Have U been driving the vw since it turned cold, did ya get the hi boost temp. under control, or decided to wait till the weather warms up, I gota keep mine pluged in to get it started with the low compression, I have the spare motor sitting on back of the truck till I can get it inside to start working on it, Merv
Life is a blast, when yer having fun

Reply #290December 21, 2010, 12:15:49 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:49 am »
no. I got the EGT under control, but now past 1/2 pedal really doesn't do much. I maybe getting an intercooler for Christmas. I can start after 6 hours at 1F no problem so far.

Reply #291December 21, 2010, 02:03:26 am

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2010, 02:03:26 am »
I've been rolling this around in my head for a while now while you have all been discussing it.
I may be way off base, but if you have timing close, and fuel down to the point of no smoke and low power, I can't see any way you should get the egt's you are.  Would you be willing/able to remove the wirenuts on the off chance that they are doing something weird?  Perhaps just the wires twisted tight and a wrap of tape?  I don't know that the wirenuts should cause a problem, but I do know that there are very specific connectors made for connecting thermocouples to prevent any dissimilar metal junctions.  Wirenuts would certainly introduce a dissimilar metal.  For lack of a better idea, I think that I would try twisting the cleaned wires tightly together, then seal with quality heatshrink, then gently crimp on one of the crimp sleeves that look like wirenuts.  Just be careful not to crimp through the heatshrink.
It probably won't, but I hope this helps.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #292December 22, 2010, 11:07:37 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2010, 11:07:37 am »
I've been rolling this around in my head for a while now while you have all been discussing it.
I may be way off base, but if you have timing close, and fuel down to the point of no smoke and low power, I can't see any way you should get the egt's you are.  Would you be willing/able to remove the wirenuts on the off chance that they are doing something weird?  Perhaps just the wires twisted tight and a wrap of tape?  I don't know that the wirenuts should cause a problem, but I do know that there are very specific connectors made for connecting thermocouples to prevent any dissimilar metal junctions.  Wirenuts would certainly introduce a dissimilar metal.  For lack of a better idea, I think that I would try twisting the cleaned wires tightly together, then seal with quality heatshrink, then gently crimp on one of the crimp sleeves that look like wirenuts.  Just be careful not to crimp through the heatshrink.
It probably won't, but I hope this helps.

I am going to do this suggestion a little differently. I will just take out the wire twist them real good, then tape them and put the wire nut on and tape that on so it doesn't come off. If it changes I will let you all know.
I checked timing a while back and it is at .0376 ish still. I am going to bump it to .038 next time and see. I have crackling/marbles on plate only when cold*under 20F*, cold advance lever pulled, and it is first started.

Reply #293December 27, 2010, 09:22:49 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »
I have done 3 stages of brakes...
In the meantime I have had no time to mess with the EGT stuff. Yesterday I was dusting the dust off the face of the gauge with my finger and the needle started moving erradically sp?. M F not just my engine code ... it is my life with this M F car. The gauge still is messed everytime I wipe my finger over it the gauge bounces up and down about 200F... What to do now? see if westach has a warranty or if I have another problem?

Reply #294December 28, 2010, 12:17:25 am