Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 101327 times)

Reply #165June 02, 2010, 09:00:23 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »
He isn't done yet. Last update I had was he was setting the 3.67 R&P in the AGS I took him. Then it has to be put all back together agian. I didn't pay him either as he said I could when I pick it up. I just sold some parts so I will now be able to pay it  ;). I also have some family in Gahana less than 5 minutes from the VW dealer that I met Brian at that I need to pick up some whiskey barrels when I get the trans.
Thanks though, I wish I could have used the favor. Maybe next time:D BTW I needed for sure to get the 90 degree fitting. I wouldn't have known until it was in the car unless you said something. I lined it up with the mount and no matter what I figured I would have problems. My new fitting will be in tomorrow.

Reply #166June 12, 2010, 06:32:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2010, 06:32:35 pm »
Trans done next week.
This is the intercooler I wanted:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180488928752&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

My GTI rear axle ripped off so I need to get this done soon. I may not get a/c or paint or intercooled, just running.

I need to know if you can run the aaz serp system without a/c when it is supposed to have a/c? Meaning could I run a shorter belt and pick up the water pump? Going to the farm now to do what I can with the inside. Anyone close feel like wrenching in the next couple of weeks let me know  ;D

Reply #167June 18, 2010, 05:00:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »

Reply #168June 18, 2010, 05:19:50 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2010, 05:19:50 pm »
Sweet.

Mr Broke sure knows his stuff.
Tyler

Reply #169June 20, 2010, 01:00:59 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2010, 01:00:59 am »
I should get him to do mine up for me ;D  nice build dude

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #170June 20, 2010, 02:00:26 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2010, 02:00:26 am »
Tonight and Before

See the link in the above post for the in between.

Broke VW is a cool dude. I talked with him tonight for several hours, my wife thought I got shot in the city since the windows were up and I didn't hear the phone :D I left him some drill bits and some tapping solution for free since he did above and beyond what I thought he needed to. He replaced all the needle bearings since I wanted to reuse mine and they accidentily got left out and rusted-FREE. This trans with the care and parts that went into it I guarantee is better than when VW made it originally. Now to bed, church in morning, and then to paint :D

2 HUGE thumbs up for BrokeVW.

Reply #171June 21, 2010, 10:13:02 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2010, 10:13:02 am »
Brian is a cool guy.  Did he show you the cutaway trans?  Pretty neat.

He came down to our big Scirocco meet in Wilmington.  Always willing to answer questions and help people out.  I wish he dabbled in 02J's.  :)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #172June 21, 2010, 10:20:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »
No cutaway.  Heck he didn't let me near his house, we met in a lot next to the VW dealer LOL. After our talk though we are pretty similar in tastes besides VW. I pretty much gave him an open invite to come up to the house anytime. Real straight up conservative guy like myself, or so he seems. I hope to make the first weekend voyage in the car down to Mt. Vernon and then to Columbus/Gahana to see my VW buds :D but we will see.

I got the trans painted and the rest of the linkage adjusted like the stock pieces. I had a guy come over today to work and he works for some sort of hospital and got called in on his day off. We were going to set the engine and trans in and he had to go shower for work. We are going to do it Saturday the 26 and then the 28th I am taking it to get brake lines. My friend has a hoist and is going to put some of the copper stuff to the rears that I accidentally cut off when redoing the floor. IF all goes well it will start for the first time this weekend. If I can get past the wife who now HATES this car I will paint it, hopefully next week.

Reply #173June 23, 2010, 09:50:05 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:05 am »
http://www.continental-seal.net/jointsealant.asp

I am going to try to use this stuff for the hole in the MLS instead of the oil cap. You can smash it flat and it should handle anything I throw at it. I sell it to a customer so I got a foot or two for free :D I am going to shave the edges to a taper and insert it into the layers of steel, then across the hole to the other side...and pray I don't have to buy another HG :D
Specs:
Specifications & Testing

Temperature Range
 -450 °F to 600°F
 FDA Suitable
 PTFE to 21 CFR 177.1550

Adhesive to 21 CFR 175.105

Pressure Range
 F.V. to 3,000 psi

(F.V. to 210 Bar)
 Independent Laboratory Testing
 ASTM F36 Compressibility

64-69%

pH Range
 0-14

ASTM F38 Creep Relaxation

Pressure x Temperature

(psi x °F), max
 In-House Testing
 5,500 psi Hydraulic Pressure Test

3/16” Material – 72 hrs without leakage

Reply #174June 26, 2010, 11:41:27 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:27 pm »
It is getting there slowly:
Downpipe stud I welded on for brace.

This is the brace I will be running from the trans to the DP. I couldn't make the 3 holes in the back work in the ammount of time I had to make it and weld it.

This is the IP bracket I welded a tab on for when my brokeness gets enough cash to buy my A/C stuff. OH my AAZ bracket needed this.

I redid the heater core...I put it in last year and then someone posted how there is supposed to be foam in there. I took it all out and put the GEE-BEE foam stuff in there. I have pics on my cell I will upload someday, but here is the dash that won't need to come out again:D

Starting to clean up and make space

For this lump

Two guys, two used cylinder head stretch bolts, one T fence post, 5 foot of log chain, and it is in

That is correct we did not use the tractor as a hoist. We did rest it on the subframe deal and repositioned. I think it took less time than it would have to use the tractor since the brush hog was still attached to it and we would have had to put the CV back in to roll it to the front door. The tractor won't fit with the horse trailer and brush hog all in the way. Brake line will be made monday.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:46:46 pm by theman53 »

Reply #175June 27, 2010, 08:57:07 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2010, 08:57:07 am »
Also something worth noting. When upgrading to a 210mm clutch and PP they take 3 more bolts than the diesel models. I made 3 bolts out of the inner CV bolts by grinding them down for clearance and cleaning them up with a die. Then tapping the PP to accept them. I used threadlocker heavily on those as well. I shouldn't have any problems, but I will report if I do.

Reply #176June 29, 2010, 08:32:38 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2010, 08:32:38 am »
Any ideas or concerns about using the 3 odd bolts in the PP?

Brakes and fuel lines are repaired. As I was under the car on the lift I have a little bit of welding left, but mainly getting the interior in, hooking up engine stuff/gauges, and the body work paint issue. Now that it was out in the light it didn't look good at all :(

Reply #177June 29, 2010, 01:53:48 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:48 pm »
i would have left the 3 holes in the flywheel. diesels only have 6 bolts for a reason im sure. but they only had 6 bolts up till a certain year im assuming? i took a 6 bolt 190mm setup off my old black car and put a 210mm gasser setup in there from my jetta. then it was 9 bolt. i honestly couldnt tell much difference. i think you would be alright either way you do it buddy.

Reply #178July 02, 2010, 09:06:15 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:15 am »
Well I mocked up the turbo and downpipe while in the car...the rack was in the way for this.

So since I have spent so much stupid time on a brace I ended up finding a solution. I basically just cut the bracket 2.5" and will drill a hole that will fit the bellhousing bolt. I welded a stud onto the downpipe higher. It should help some as it won't stress the 4 bolts on the turbo as bad, but the rest of the pipe to the flex section will be under more stress because of this. I may make another bolt on brace from the original 3 bolts on the back of the block now that I can see how everything lines up. That will be later as I have to finish 3 tack welds that we saw when the car was on the lift. Then the dash/interior and paint. I am taking next week VACATION so this might come together :D

Reply #179July 04, 2010, 09:44:48 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #179 on: July 04, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »
Got some rust bullet, oil cooler, and the same thermostatic plate andrew got. Mostly installed now. I got a bigger cooler but no fan.
I was in and out of the car about 53 times adjusting the shifter and now it will shift, I may have to redo when it is running. It feels good now. Tomorrow a bunch of body work, gauge pannel work, and try to put the head on. The plan is to be done this time next week. Pray for me :D

S-PAutomotive.com