S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Starting a turbo build...Videos of it running :D  (Read 102496 times)

Reply #120April 11, 2010, 12:35:39 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Starting a turbo build and...
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:39 am »
Engine and trans are out. I have an AGS trans and seemed to like it the little I drove it. Do they have 90mm flange or 100? It seems like it is so close now, but I know I have so much to do. I want to take apart the waste gate of the turbo and make sure everything is fine there. I need to paint it. If I am going to go serp I should do it now before I do any A/C stuff, but I don't know about the serp a/c setup at all. I am going to throw some paint at it. I need to buy a speedo cable *LOL-for those that helped* I need to figure out how to put my CV joint back together as it came apart when I was rolling it around.
I think I should get the flywheel resurfaced with the pressure plate as I haven't ran this 1.9L flywheel yet. I want to do a bolt kit and the 80% kit for the drive axles. I still will need brake lines to the rear and a new prop valve as my old one puked more DOT 3 than anything I have ever seen.
Plus, I still need to get the engine together and timed up. Shoud be fun eventhough it is a long way out.
I installed a new rear pass side mount. The old one must not have been bad as the new seemed like it had more give than the old, but I figured while I was there I should do it. I still need to build an intake as well.

Reply #121April 21, 2010, 10:21:27 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:27 am »
Ordered parts. Got the 80% kit and the missing links shifter kit. Next will be the ring gear bolt kit and then I can tear it apart and put it all back together.
Gary said the 80% kit was easier to use on the 100mm shafts. He said I could use them on the 90mm I just have to radius the edges a little so that it won't unscrew the bolt. The 90mm only have a little clearance and he just wants it to be sure that it doesn't back out.

Looks like A/C might not happen this year as I still need to have exhaust, brakes, and a little paint...plus all the labor before I can get this on the road.

Reply #122April 21, 2010, 10:57:07 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2010, 10:57:07 am »
Just to show you guys some kind of pics here is what is left.

I made a tool to get the bolts out of the clutch area from an old head bolt that I welded to an old main bolt. With a little paint it fits really snug, without it had some slop.

Rust repaired on drivers side

This is the final mess on the passenger side.

Reply #123April 21, 2010, 11:46:16 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:16 am »
I ordered my axles with 100 Inners and 90 mm outers

Just saved time

I used disc adapters for my the mk1 for the G60 brakes

keep it up !
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #124April 21, 2010, 11:56:48 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2010, 11:56:48 am »
This is a MK2, I have a 1.6NA that I changed to 100mm cv's.  You don't need the 90mm outers.  Standard 100mm complete shafts will fit a MK2 car with a 100mm tranny - just FYI.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #125April 24, 2010, 09:52:25 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2010, 09:52:25 am »
Got my 80% kit yesterday. It came in a box about the size of a pack of playing cards...for 117.-- shipped. I hope that my ring gear bolts come soon. Summit matched the price of Jegs at 53.99 and I talked them out of the 9.99 handling fee. They had to ship it direct from ARP since it wasn't in stock, I said dude 9.99 for handling something you are not even going to touch? He gave it up :D...man I am a cheap SOB

Reply #126April 24, 2010, 09:11:55 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2010, 09:11:55 pm »
I got a little scared today.

I almost burnt the car to the ground. I was going to try to finish the welding on the car so I could put it all together. Everything went fine, I just finished the rear passenger floor pan. Then I smelled kerosene and thought "weird why do I smell kerosene? What could have kerosene in it? This car is...DIESEL!" Just as I thought it the fire started roaring.

Apparently when the previous owner deleted the water separator he zip tied the fuel line right under where I was welding. Me being an idiot didn't worry when I caught the zip tie on fire. Just as I don't care when the undercoating lights up a little. I just have a small cup of water and when I am finished welding I put it out. Not the case here. The zip tie on fire that I didn't realize what it held, melted on the fuel line. That in turn with more of my welding caught the rubber line on fire. Inside the rubber line was all the diesel and when it burnt in half it just fueled the fire and what didn't instantly catch pooled under the car...then caught.
     I was the most scared I have been in a while. I went for the hose as the little cup didn't take care of it, but the hose had been hit by the mower and was about 20 feet short. I had my crankshaft, giles pump and injectors, turbo, and a bunch of other stuff in the back that I was frantically unloading. Ripped the welder out of the way and threw my welding helmet. Ran around the car grabbed the wheel and pulled it back so I could get it out of the barn. Ran it forward until it was outside. My GTI was in the way and I pushed the jetta into it to hold it as I didn't have time for wheel chocks. The hose still wouldn't reach and the fire was starting to come out from under the entire passenger side. I got the GTI moved and beat the fire down a little with my welding gloves, then rolled it forward to the hose. I got it put out and amazingly not only did I not burn down anything, but besides some melted dash peices that I had in the back nothing was hurt. Well, some fuel line and the e brake need replaced, but I consider myself lucky
AND DUMB.

Reply #127April 24, 2010, 09:59:05 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:05 pm »
Yikes. That would have been a horrible ending to this thread :o
Tyler

Reply #128April 25, 2010, 03:48:21 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2010, 03:48:21 pm »
That'll just about make a guy wet himself.............
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #129April 25, 2010, 09:13:56 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »
Yeah I had pretty much wrote it off when looking at the 3 foot fireball under the car. At that point I was just trying to salvage my parts and my father's quansenhut style garage barn. When I pulled it back off of the puddle of diesel I went to call the fire dept. and realized that the puddle was more on fire than the car and that is when I took it outside. I didn't call them as I thought I had a chance to put it out...and I did.
     I am a strong guy, but I had so much adrenaline going I practically threw the car around. Granted it has no engine, but it is still heavy. I don't cuss and I dropped the F bomb when I first saw it. I was completely messed up over it. I pretty much took the rest of the weekend off working on it.
    I am going to drain the diesel out of it now since I need to replace the fuel line anyway. I may let the ebrake ride until it needs work.

Reply #130April 25, 2010, 10:16:02 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2010, 10:16:02 pm »
Let me know what dash pieces you need to replace those...I'll see what I have to toss yer way.
Don't think I have any ebrake parts.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #131April 26, 2010, 08:19:11 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:11 am »
The dash parts were black. They were small and I am not sure if they were for the dash, but I am assuming since I kept all if it together. One is a puddle, the other looks like two 2"x2.25" rectangles in a 90 or L shaped. It is one peice, but that is the best way I could describe it.

Reply #132April 26, 2010, 12:40:22 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2010, 12:40:22 pm »
 :o

Holy crap, glad you didn't burn the car (or yourself!) up. 

You don't cuss?  Well then I apologize for cursing like a pirate the past couple times we have met up.   ::)

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #133April 26, 2010, 06:25:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:15 pm »
I cuss...when I see a 3 foot fire under a car the F word gets tossed LOL

I usually don't cuss though. I couldn't care less if someone else does though. I only care about what I do...and even then not as much as I should care about what I do :D

Reply #134April 28, 2010, 10:26:16 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2010, 10:26:16 pm »
just glad to hear that you are safe, good luck
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Fixmyvw.com