Author Topic: Oil cooler - is it directional?  (Read 3978 times)

June 22, 2013, 07:45:15 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Oil cooler - is it directional?
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:45:15 pm »
I was planning on removing the stock oil cooler as I am installing a remote filter and cooler with a fan. I changed my mind and have installed a new stock cooler to make sure the oil temps come up quickly.

My question is, it there a proper orientation (top VS bottom)?

I also ordered the o-ring with the two small ears on the inside which apparently position the ring using the pins on one side of the cooler. They would be on the bottom based on the photo above. That's the way I installed it with the label upside down as it puts the new o-ring against the bottom of the mount on the engine

I also have an adapter that screws on the end of the pipe holding the cooler, and will route two hoses to the remote filters. This unit already has an o-ring on the mating face so other than the label being upside down - it made the most sense.

In other words, if I installed the cooler flipped over from the way it looks in the photo, is it incorrect?

Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #1June 22, 2013, 09:02:42 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Oil cooler - is it directional?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 09:02:42 pm »
The O Ring goes against the flange of the engine and the flat of the oil cooler goes next to the gasket on the filter.  If you are adding the take off for a remote filter then the gasket there would go against the flat of the oil cooler.  Is that how you are setting it up?  Or did I read it wrong. 

Reply #2June 22, 2013, 09:16:11 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:16:11 pm »
It shouldn't be that confusing but somehow it is.

The cooler has a bunch of little pins sticking out of the face on what would be the bottom based on the pic showing the label. This is where I put the O-ring with the two ears.

Both sides could take the O-ring with the two tiny ears on the ID, but they fit perfectly over two of the pins I mentioned so that's where I put it. As you said, the adapter (or a filter) already has an o-ring so I put the cooler on with the pin side towards the mount.
This makes the label upside down which seems odd and is why I'm asking.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #3June 22, 2013, 09:24:52 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:24:52 pm »
c you haqve is filter side.. other side has ears sticking up the o-ring has some ear muffs to hold in place... so if you got the o-ring should in theory be self explainatory.. now if your screwing vw out of $$ for the over priced oil filter gasket that has some ear muffs on it.. originally they had no earmuffs... it was a oil filter gsket.. :P

Reply #4June 22, 2013, 09:58:31 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »
The O Ring goes against the flange of the engine and the flat of the oil cooler goes next to the gasket on the filter.  If you are adding the take off for a remote filter then the gasket there would go against the flat of the oil cooler.  Is that how you are setting it up?  Or did I read it wrong. 

I think you read it right.
Installed, the label is now upside down on the engine mount.

Is there any directional flow considerations? Check valves, thermo valves, etc?
Both ports looked pretty similar.

Reply #5June 22, 2013, 11:46:33 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:46:33 pm »
The picture shows it upside down as opposed to how it will be on the engine.  The coolant flow direction doesn't matter.

Reply #6June 23, 2013, 01:32:16 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:32:16 am »
The one I have on my car has no problem running the coolant in one side or the other.  I tried to bring hoses in towards the hose take offs the best I could to prevent kinking once they get warm.  I didn't get it quite right on the first try and had to adjust the cooler by loosing it up and twisting it a few degrees.  Then re-tightened. 

Reply #7June 23, 2013, 01:38:27 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 01:38:27 am »
The picture shows it upside down as opposed to how it will be on the engine.  The coolant flow direction doesn't matter.

Thanks.

The one I have on my car has no problem running the coolant in one side or the other.  I tried to bring hoses in towards the hose take offs the best I could to prevent kinking once they get warm.  I didn't get it quite right on the first try and had to adjust the cooler by loosing it up and twisting it a few degrees.  Then re-tightened. 

I have the silicone hoses from Gee Bee - nice fit but I won't see em warm for a few more weeks.

Reply #8June 23, 2013, 01:58:43 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 01:58:43 am »
I was planning on removing the stock oil cooler as I am installing a remote filter and cooler with a fan. I changed my mind and have installed a new stock cooler to make sure the oil temps come up quickly.

I have no issues getting up to temps with the external oil cooler, and it has dropped my coolant temps by almost 20*...

Reply #9June 23, 2013, 09:21:13 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:13 am »

I have no issues getting up to temps with the external oil cooler, and it has dropped my coolant temps by almost 20*...
8V, I've read a lot of posts on that subject and it seems to depend on a lot of things like size of cooler. (placement, fan/no fan, ambient temps, etc.
My change of mind was due to the new hoses and not wanting to block the two "Ys" off. I've also read that the concept was to keep the oil and water near the same temp. However, I also found some scary videos of blown coolers and expansion tanks filled with oil :o.
Hopefully the one I bought is high quality.

Also, I wasn't concerned about the water flow, it's the oil flow and libby answered that.
Thanks all
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:34:10 am by Gizmoman »

Reply #10June 23, 2013, 03:48:19 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:48:19 pm »
I've had them leak both water to oil, and oil to ground, but never water to ground.
Found something in the VW manual about putting  a new one any time you have the motor apart.
I don't use that kind anymore.

Reply #11June 23, 2013, 03:53:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:08 pm »
Size of the cooler for sure, but it is thermostatically controlled flow just like the stock one. Oil does not flow through it until it is above operating temperature. ie. Hauling on it and making a lotta 1400* oil enter the pan via the turbo drain lol.

The two main reasons I went external, and got away from the coolant one was for one; The proneness of the stock ones failing and as you say filling everything with oil.. (mine had over 500k on it.. so it was due lol). Two; To remove any extra unneeded stress on the undersized mk1 radiator ;).