Author Topic: small diesel motors? moped....  (Read 8833 times)

Reply #15June 14, 2005, 01:41:07 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

small diesel motors? moped....
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 01:41:07 pm »
Quote from: "Northern RD"
An odd place to go for a snooze, no??
 :lol:  :lol:

:lol: just trying to get in the shade, was easily 30C+ with heaps of humidity on saturday.

actually, i spent a good amount of time under there making sure these orange/brown marks are just on the surface:

Reply #16June 17, 2005, 07:52:10 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 07:52:10 am »
well, i picked up the bike that i want to mount an engine on. solid frame. just need to find a good means of powering it... looking at a 60cc kit, or an electric motor right now. both can be found on ebay...

Reply #17June 17, 2005, 08:03:47 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 08:03:47 pm »
Well, there's a guy here that mounted a chainsaw engine on an old ten speed, clutch drum just rides on the back tire, lever deal to put it there. Apparently it goes like stink! Have seen a purpose built unit a lot of years ago, drop it on the tire to start, direct drive.

Both were two stroke gas though.

Reply #18June 17, 2005, 08:31:10 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 08:31:10 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
do they have 4.5" braided steel brush cup or regular (i'll take either at this point) for fitment on an angle gringer... at sparta princess? ....or anywhere else that you guys know of? tried local princess, crappy tire, part source, TSC, surplus store... running out of resources  :evil:

REALLY need a couple of these.....

That'd be London Princess, my local one :P

I have a 4" twisted wire cup. I believe I got it from TSC.
Check TSC, Princess, or Forest City/KW Surplus, one of them will have a 4.5" one.
And yes they remove stuff a a good rate :twisted:

Reply #19July 18, 2005, 01:08:46 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 01:08:46 pm »
Hey, Black Tie...

I was just at a vintage motorcycle event and saw something related to this post.  A guy replaced the motor on his H_nda motorcycle with an old diesel Petter generator motor.  Pretty neat...apparently those motors are pretty tough.

He had to modify the frame to make it fit, but it started and ran just fine.  The owner (didn't catch his name, unfortunately) hadn't driven it very much because the gear ratios were obviously a bit off...

81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #20July 25, 2005, 05:17:42 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 05:17:42 pm »
Quote from: "Patrick"
Well, there's a guy here that mounted a chainsaw engine on an old ten speed, clutch drum just rides on the back tire, lever deal to put it there. Apparently it goes like stink! Have seen a purpose built unit a lot of years ago, drop it on the tire to start, direct drive.

Both were two stroke gas though.

i've heard of that one and it sounds like it would be a fun ride  :lol: i need something that i can mount inconspicously in the V of the frame.

Quote from: "MacGyver"

That'd be London Princess, my local one :P

I have a 4" twisted wire cup. I believe I got it from TSC.
Check TSC, Princess, or Forest City/KW Surplus, one of them will have a 4.5" one.
And yes they remove stuff a a good rate :twisted:

i ended up going to the TSC on victoria and they had gotten some more in. must be a rash of bodywork in the area  :lol:

Quote from: "veeman"
Hey, Black Tie...

I was just at a vintage motorcycle event and saw something related to this post.  A guy replaced the motor on his H_nda motorcycle with an old diesel Petter generator motor.  Pretty neat...apparently those motors are pretty tough.

He had to modify the frame to make it fit, but it started and ran just fine.  The owner (didn't catch his name, unfortunately) hadn't driven it very much because the gear ratios were obviously a bit off

there we go, a diesel bike.  :twisted: way too much size for my purposes though. i doubt i'll find a diesel small enough for an 18-speed.

S-PAutomotive.com