Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Steering rack question and info for a swap...  (Read 3277 times)

September 16, 2008, 07:42:03 pm

madmedix

• Junior

Steering rack question and info for a swap...
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:42:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

Moving over from the General section...I have a question. Bentley specifies: On cars with power-assisted steering, support the engine and transaxle as shown yadda yadda yadda...remove the rear transaxle mount, and loosen the center bolt of the rear engine mount...

Since the top right image is the right rear mount, I can (finally!) loosen the center bolt. The question is: There is no way in hell I'm getting the two bolts shown (13mm) on the tranny mount (lower two arrows) off. They are occluded by the vacuum booster, and other (hard-mounted) engine goodies for access from the top. I cannot get a wrench with enough movement from underside either. I can, however, get at the 17mm bolt on the top. Anyone see any problems if I remove it instead?

Oh, BTW (Tyler you mentioned that those stupid steering bolts always broke off). That's because they're designed to become mounting studs once they are driven into the subframe and the locking fins mash themselves tight. I found the "studs" reference on Page 38 of Suspension and Steering, point 7 of the Bentley  :roll:

Cheers,
Andy

'90 TD Jetta

Reply #1September 16, 2008, 11:17:33 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »
Thank you Andy, that's good to know as I will be doing this soon myself.

You are fine to just take the center bolt out

For the mount below the turbo just take the intake boot off and the 3 13mm bolts, it is a lot easier then the center bolt. This is to drop the subframe right?

How do you plan to support the engine?
Tyler

Reply #2September 18, 2008, 07:54:51 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »
OK, thanks for that.
I'm going to support the engine with a 2 ton hydraulic hoist from the top and chains on the lift points of the block and tranny. It's one of those roll-around jobs from princess. Also good for lifting and moving patio stones... :D

Andy
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #3September 18, 2008, 08:23:34 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »
Throw a spare tire on a rim or a jack stand under the oil pan just to be safe.
Tyler

Reply #4September 20, 2008, 10:14:42 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:14:42 pm »
Okay...Got her off. I decided to drop the whole sub-frame and clean it up, and put in fresh bushings etc.

1) It's impossible to "undo the lower bolt and nut to remove the universal joint steering assembly" as Bentley says...There is no nut, for starters  :o
There isn't enough room unless you really lower the arse end of the whole assembly. Then guess what else wants to come out...
You should remove the bolt completely though...if you look close enough, the threads from the bolt pass through a flat area of the spline drive of the rack and prevent its removal...

2) Make sure the rubber boot on whatever rack you have is in good shape...or you'll end up with the crap I found that ground itself to death on the rack and compromised the seals....

Too make matters worse; taking the 13mm nuts off the rack on the power side will not release the rack from the sub-frame. The locking splines on the studs enter the flanges on the power rack too. I had to sacrifice a sawzall blade for each one. Those bad boys would not drill out easily. I will not be reinstalling those damn studs. I will use something else.

Andy
'90 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com