Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: How do you disassemble CV Joints? Vibration dampener?  (Read 3562 times)

September 20, 2008, 12:02:41 am

mtnbob

• Veteran

How do you disassemble CV Joints? Vibration dampener?
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:02:41 am »
Couldn't pass up a complete, brand new CV half shaft, with new boots, for $52.99 at Advance Auto Parts. I didn't even have to give up my old original for a core. I'd like two clean up my old one and reinstall a new boot. The joint itself looks great, no scoring at all.
Two Questions
1) How do you remove the outer CV joint from the shaft? Bentley book mentions a c-clip, but I couldn't find anything.
2) Should I be worried about the vibration dampener? It didn't come on the new one, and the old one is kinda torn up.
Thanks

86 VW Golf 1.6 N/A 4-door (soon to be turboed!!!)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2598033828_d3d19f9842.jpg?v=0
96 Subaru Outback Wagon

Reply #1September 20, 2008, 01:28:45 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:28:45 am »
Do you have access to a good vise? If so, clamp the axle shaft in the vise, hold the cv joint aligned straight (neutral/linear with the shaft) with one hand and use a dead-blow hammer (rubber) to literally knock it off. If no dead-blow, use a hammer and hard wooden block to apply force to the inner surface of the joint. It is best to keep that cv joint pointing straight outward (oriented with the shaft). If you are unable to support the joint with one hand during removal, put some cardboard or other soft material on the floor under the vise so your joint threads do not get damaged....or, put the nut and washer on.

There is a "C" shaped spring which should remain on the axle shaft. This is what helps to keep the joint in place. They can be replaced.

I have regretted putting in axles without the dampner in place.....each time I do it. The lack of it becomes apparent.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2September 20, 2008, 06:38:36 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:38:36 am »
Thanks for both of these posts. I'm expecting to change mine sooner than later (boots are torn up)
this is really helpful
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #3September 20, 2008, 03:18:40 pm

mtnbob

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:18:40 pm »
Advance Auto Parts online listed the new lifetime warranty cv axle for $69 plus tax, but then said they had a price match policy and lowered it to $54 including tax. It came complete with boots, bolts, and driveshaft nut, greased up and ready to install. There was no core charge and I wasn't required to give them my old one.

www.partsamerica.com
86 VW Golf 1.6 N/A 4-door (soon to be turboed!!!)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2598033828_d3d19f9842.jpg?v=0
96 Subaru Outback Wagon

Reply #4September 20, 2008, 07:01:15 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »
Having had to do this job in the south of spain without the right tools, I held the shaft straight, one hand on the threaded splined end, the other holding the shaft, so that the cv joint wasn't folded up, and twatting the thing on an armco zed post by the side of the road. Nice ductile steel that wouldn't shatter the rezeppa bit on the end. Sort of hard to describe, not recomended, but it has worked twice fine for me. Very ghetto. :twisted:
Don't forget the plastic spacer usually supplied in the boot kit, this stops lots of annoying donking from the shaft bouncing to and fro on rough roads.