Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: MK2 rear engine mount  (Read 3550 times)

September 07, 2008, 12:18:13 pm

madmedix

• Junior

MK2 rear engine mount
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:18:13 pm »
Hi folks;

Gotta loosen the rear engine mount center bolt and take off the tranny mount to switch out the power rack for a manual. Here's my problem...The rear engine mount. It's 17mm, rusted on real good. Is this one of those nasty "thin wall socket required" specials? I have nerve damage so it's tough for me to determine "solid socket contact" by touch and I can't see sh%* with my hands in the way  :x  Did I mention chiseling off the four bolts for the power rack with a air tool was the only way to get them off? Damn things twisted off mid-shank in the subframe....Nasty idea VW had using locking shoulder bolts on that.

Andy

'90 TD Jetta

Reply #1September 07, 2008, 12:38:57 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
MK2 rear engine mount
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »
Why do you have to loosen that bolt off? Does the motor need to be lifted or something?
Tyler

Reply #2September 10, 2008, 07:14:17 pm

madmedix

• Junior

MK2 rear engine mount
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:14:17 pm »
Ah, well...I'm meditating on that one...

1) The front bearings are toast. So, I pull everything off to discover the right tie rod is chemically fused to the bearing carrier. Sawz-all to the rescue! :twisted:
What the heck, the power rack is leaking anyway, I'll just delete it and swap in the handy-dandy manual rack I just happen to have in the shed with the proper knuckle...

2) The bolts that hold in the power rack (locking shoulder-style bolts) snap off mid-shank. That leaves the bottom half of the stud and nut firmly on the power rack and can not get them off. Even an air chisel wouldn't do it.

So that leaves me with the option of loosening the engine rear mount and disconnecting the tranny mount so I can slide this girl out, no?
I'm thinking of dropping the sub-frame and clean her up while she's out and bolt up the manual rack...but those fasteners holding up the subframe and anti-sway etc look pretty damn scary (they're solid, but not if I touch 'em. Know what I mean?) and I'm not sure I wanna touch them.
Also debating whether to just pull the whole shot (engine + tranny) and deal with the whole engine bay while I'm at it.
Problem is...I don't have a garage. I also have a nasty back injury that really limits my time working on her....which means this could go over the winter and wait until spring. THAT will impress the neighbours
 :D
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #3September 10, 2008, 09:24:22 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
MK2 rear engine mount
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:24:22 pm »
I recommend impressing the neighbors, it's usually more fun that way :D

I hate those stupid rack bolts, they always break
Tyler

Reply #4September 11, 2008, 05:47:12 am

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
MK2 rear engine mount
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:47:12 am »
Quote from: "burn_your_money"
I recommend impressing the neighbors, it's usually more fun that way :D

Just be careful and check your local bylaws first.  Cambridge has a bylaw that says you cannot have an inoperable motor vehicle on your property for more than 24 hours unless it is in a garage.  Guess how I found out?  Doesn't matter if visually you can't tell that the car isn't ready to be started and driven down the road.  Cars have to "be safe to drive", so you can't even have the car on jack stands for more than 24 hours.  I got dinged becaues even if you meet the visual requirements, they still check for valid license plate tags.  They base their checks on complaints, so if your neighbors have it in for you.......  They even nailed a guy a couple of blocks away for having a car in his driveway with a For Sale sign in the windshield and no plates on it.
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #5September 15, 2008, 06:34:31 pm

madmedix

• Junior

MK2 rear engine mount
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:34:31 pm »
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to use the female easy outs on the rear engine mount  :cry: and now I'm toying with just pulling the whole shooting match and go from there. Stay tuned. If she pisses me off any more, there is going to be a Jetta TD parting out soon...
'90 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com