Author Topic: AAZ Crankshaft and Timing pulley  (Read 2672 times)

September 03, 2008, 01:42:56 pm

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
AAZ Crankshaft and Timing pulley
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:42:56 pm »
I am having a 50* mount 1.9 TD AAZ engine installed into my 1990 Vanagon Adventurewagen. I am having many of the mods installed mentioned in this forum. However, one thing caught my eye and I am hoping someone can clarify it a bit more.

Quote:
The AAZ has a major flaw.  The timing pulley has a annoying habit of separating from the crankshaft causing all the fun of a timing belt snap. There are a couple very good options to remedy this, a early TDi crank shaft is direct replacement and sloves the problem but a few have chosen a different route either machining a flat like the TDi crank or installing a few dowel pins. Just know its not if, its when.

Replacing the entire crankshaft would involve taking the entire engine apart, and locating a replacement, which may or may not have to be reground. If I were to go that route, it seems like you might as well rebuild the entire engine.

I am not sure what is meant by adding dowel pins to the crank, but if it involves machine work, again, the entire engine will have to come apart to get the crank to a machine shop. Am I correct in this assumption?

The only thing I can figure is the timing gear slips on the crank and could cause the belt to snap- but there is a keyway that is supposed to prevent this already in place.

Any good explanation of this would be appreciated. My tranny just came back today and the engine is about to go in.

1990 Syncro Adventurewagen
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)
http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwvanagon

Reply #1September 03, 2008, 04:15:12 pm

wildenbeast

• Junior

• The WILDENBEAST
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:15:12 pm »
Thanks.  I did a search but not with "search for all terms".  This helps a lot.
1990 Syncro Adventurewagen
1.9 Turbo Diesel (AAZ)
http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwvanagon

Reply #2September 04, 2008, 06:06:30 pm

slorimer

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »
You may get lucky and have a crank that has both the keyway and the flat.  Then you would only have to buy the TDI pulley.  Its worth a look.
94 1.9TD