Author Topic: power steering problem?>  (Read 3950 times)

June 03, 2005, 05:51:59 pm

RamDiesel

power steering problem?>
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:51:59 pm »
I am hoping someone here can explain why this is happening.  Today fluid started spraying out of the small pinhole in the power steering lid.  for some reason the car is now making too much pressure, I am clueless on this one any help would be greatly appreciated as I am in a very rural location and am basically stranded till I figure this one out.

Thanxs RamDiesel

92 golf diesel 1.6D

98 Ram Cummins diesel

Reply #1June 03, 2005, 07:54:03 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

power steering problem?>
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 07:54:03 pm »
I would guess that it has an air leak in the suction line to the power steering pump. This will foam the fluid and increase its volume to the point that it overflows.

Reply #2June 04, 2005, 03:19:54 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

power steering problem?>
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 03:19:54 am »
I'm not sure if this helps or in any way relates to your situation, but the power steering in my jetta is quite broken. It is apparently overpressurized due to a problem in the rack. When I got it the reservoir was cracked and most of the fluid had leaked out. The pump was absolutely screaming. So, I replaced the reservoir and the pump so now the pump is making noise again and the steering is downright scary. It feels like it wants to steer for you, not just assist. So, I'm going to change the rack now since it's the last part of the equation.

Reply #3June 04, 2005, 06:44:00 am

RamDiesel

power steering problem?>
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:44:00 am »
Thanxs for the reply's :)  For starters I am going to try a different cap.  If that doesnt work, I will install a new steering line to the pump.  If that isnt the problem I will be fixing the rack.

I had a very similar hard to diagnose problem with my Dodge Ram cummins.  I ended up replacing steering pump/lines and 2 racks as the first one had  a defective valve right out of the box :roll: .

I will post back @ how this works out.

RamDiesel
92 golf diesel 1.6D

98 Ram Cummins diesel

S-PAutomotive.com