Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What would you do? B3 mTDI Wagon...or Corrado mTDI?  (Read 5249 times)

Reply #15September 02, 2008, 10:36:45 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

What would you do? B3 mTDI Wagon...or Corrado mTDI?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »
LOL....or scary PD version as well...that I'm kicking around now!

WAHOO...and complete DiESeL fleet...now if only I had the desire to convert the westy to diesel...lol. Love the ole aircooled smell though...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #16September 04, 2008, 10:37:45 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 10:37:45 pm »
ur reping the B3 all wrong for a start :lol: , my mate chris is rolling with a bit more style. B3 is more practical than a corrado, betta daily, also you would be more shocked to be smoked by one

also im building a corrado m-tdi, dont copy me  :lol:  :roll:

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #17September 04, 2008, 11:11:06 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 11:11:06 pm »
ha ha...luckly we are on different sides of the pond. It'll all work out. Besides...think I had my Mk1 mTDI up and going before you :) and that would mean you copied me? LOL... :lol:  jk

The b3 is def. headed in that direction. Time, money and finding the right parts will get it there. I have none of those things in the quantity that I need them in the moment to just "do it".

Eventually...a classy set of spaced 15"s, finish the full leather conversion and new paint. And...the b3 is getting the mTDI.

As for the 'rado. I'm sealing the deal with Duane, just waiting on finalizing things, etc. So...another diesel build project in the near future..and very likely another mTDI or a PD 150...or....CR once one gets wrecked :)

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #18September 05, 2008, 04:36:20 pm

validius

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
Why mTDI?  Your talking about 2 cars that are both CE2 electrical systems.  Hooking everything up is cake!  When you have computer control you have Vag-Com, RocketChip and everything wonderful that comes with it!

Reply #19September 05, 2008, 09:30:13 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 09:30:13 pm »
I guess that depends on your preference...if you don't have the electronics to start with, then you have several routes to consider. That is what I have initially faced with both TDI engines I have. The engine for the b3 is no different.

The electronics in no way by any means are worth the 400-1000k *by the time you figure, pedal, wiring harness, pump, MAF, etc* that is being asked for them on the open market in most places. I'd rather spend the money on a good pump from say Giles if I didn't know too much about pumps...or build my own and get plenty more performance potentially for about the same cost.

Yeah...CE2 is nice... and no, its not hard at all. Full tuning ability without having to have remaps, flashes or burns all the time to the ECU to me is much better with extra added old school diesel feel and chatter. I'll take the little bit of noise that comes with it. Additionally, for extreme modification to the pump to allow for more timing advance, etc. etc. you still need pump modification even on the eTDI pump. The ECU does set limits on where you can go unless you have quick access to a chip burner and/or someone with those capabilities. Its def. not all about the electronics of the pump alone. Read about the brick walls that many VE pump TDI'ers have reached in digging deep and you'll find out.

Setting up a correctly done mTDI pump....a completely different story in many ways but the product speaks for itself...
I'd gladly put the Rabbit up if someone wanted proof :)

Plus....simplicity... on the fly adjustment....its effective, efficient, simple and performs just as well.

Now, if anyone ever revisited the "Standalone" system for pulling the ECU setup *remember our MS conversations?* and then could modify an electronic pump both by electrical and mechanical needs to pull more fuel, timing, etc. Maybe. Those that you have no choice around electronics...yeap, I'll be right there with them if I go with a PD in the 'rado or a CR. My VE motors though....will see the mTDI pump in good form.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #20September 06, 2008, 09:39:01 pm

oldskool rich

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 09:39:01 pm »
my mk1 is only aaz, my corrado will be on the road i few weeks, i cant wait, and ive already started building 2.0 PD block on a ALH head to replace the aaz, which is gona be a bit special. the pumps are easy to get hold of over here, if the rado works i might buy a load and ship them over to you lot :wink:

the B3 is just a poor mans caddy :lol:

f6squared I.D.S.T

Reply #21September 06, 2008, 10:46:32 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 10:46:32 pm »
nice...

yeah, i remember reading about your PD piston/rod issues in the block, etc. Sounds like you've solved them. cool. :)
Yeah, the pumps would be nice to find easier over here...when they do make their way the price seems to increase 10 fold (even above shipping). So, we have to find other means of making them work. Investigating good mechanical DI pumps has helped a lot though.

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #22September 07, 2008, 10:48:28 am

blkboostedtruck

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 10:48:28 am »
Quote from: "oldskool rich"
my mk1 is only aaz, my corrado will be on the road i few weeks, i cant wait, and ive already started building 2.0 PD block on a ALH head to replace the aaz, which is gona be a bit special. the pumps are easy to get hold of over here, if the rado works i might buy a load and ship them over to you lot :wink:

the B3 is just a poor mans caddy :lol:

ahh rich don't forget me? i'd love to have one of those pumps!
your my over the pond hero!
and don't forget to post pics. of your raddo build!
Duane
injector rebuilds call  414-840-1395 for faster service not on line much!
'66 variant 1500S
'81 2dr n/a 1.6 diesel rabbit 8"lift 260K R.I.P.
'81 caddy gas 1.8 turbo/stroker W/N.O.S.
'81 caddy 1.9 turbo diesel
'82 caddy gas 1.8 G60
 3 jettas '82' '04 '14TDI
+1 rabbit,03 HD sc.eag. duece,46,&5

S-PAutomotive.com