S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Starter recommendations  (Read 3343 times)

June 06, 2004, 10:08:56 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Starter recommendations
« on: June 06, 2004, 10:08:56 pm »
I just did a complete rebuild on the ole' 1.6 in my 91 jetta only to put it all back together and turn the key and hear click click. Got the Bentley out and trouble shot the starter is bad. How it would go bad sitting in the back of the Jetta is beyond me since it worked great when I pulled the engine out of the car two weeks ago.

Anyway my question is, since I need a new starter, is there any suggestions on a new one. Are there any better ones out there than others? Will the 1.9L work? What year models can I get one to work in my 91 ECO diesel. Since everything is new, radiator, waterpump, engine, and so forth, heck may as well get a new starter.  I know these things are not cheap, but I don't want any head aces and I will pay for a high quality high torque starter because it will make life so much better in the winter.

Thanks

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1June 07, 2004, 12:04:56 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Starter recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 12:04:56 am »
I am running the A2 diesel planetary gear reduction starter.  The A1 diesel starters are not gear reduction and get up to speed a little quicker.  They are also a little noisier and significantly heavier.  I am not sure if one style is better than the other yet in how fast it is able to spin the motor - so far I'd say given a good battery connection and ground connection either seems to work about equally well (that is based on subjective testing only.)  I am not sure if another newer starter might be available on the 1.9lTD or TDI diesels that would bolt on to an 020 transmission.  If anyone knows of other starter models that might work and be better, I'd like to hear about them!  (I guess I could do a VW parts database comparison, but don't have the time to right now.)

I was having trouble with my A2 gear reduction starter not turning the engine over quickly enough until recently I found a missing serrated washer between my ground strap and transmission bracket.  Amazing what a difference adding that serrated washer made with starter performance!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2June 07, 2004, 08:53:59 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Starter recommendations
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:53:59 am »
If it is making a solid clicking sound when you engage the key, Rat, chances are 99% (in my experience) that it is an electrical connection problem, and not a starter problem. Make sure all your electrical connections are solid and that the battery is fully charged and in good shape (they can die while stored). What you are hearing is the soledoid engaging the ring gear, but there isn't enough current flowing to turn over the engine.

Don't buy a new starter just yet.

Good luck! Stan
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #3June 07, 2004, 09:58:56 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Starter recommendations
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 09:58:56 am »
It is making a solid click but when I checked the voltage to the starter solenoid termial 50 I was getting 11 but when I checked down on the starter it's self I only got 6volts. The Bentley said that there should be 8 or more volts at both places when the ignition is placed in the start position.  I'm not sure how old the starter is, being a fresh rebuilt engine it will be a little harder to crank than a used one.  Now that it is out I'm going to at least have it checked, there is a place here that is really good and helps me out since I go to them for all my electrical needs.

I cleaned, sanded and checked all my connections from the starter to the block to the battery to the switch. It is all a good shinny copper color connection. The battery is only a year old and I had it on a 2 amp trickle charge tender for the past two weeks. It checked with my multimeter at 13.4 volts.  I'm trying to check all that I can, double checking the grounds because that can cause a major head ache.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Fixmyvw.com