Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: another ignition question  (Read 3197 times)

September 01, 2008, 06:25:59 pm

cube1980

• User+

another ignition question
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:25:59 pm »
96 Golf 1.9 AAZ Manual

This problem started this week and I'm thinking it's the ignition switch itself but want to ask some opinions.  Up until now when I put the key in the ignition the stereo would turn on as soon as the key was inserted (not turned) when I turned they key to the first position I would get a 3 tone warning and the lights on the dash would light up.  Now when I put the key in the ignition, and turn it I get a buzzing alarm that I've never heard before and the stereo won't go on. The only way I can get it to work is if I put pressure on the key and turn it at the same time.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  I'm not sure if it could have anything to do with the fact I installed a new stereo last week.  Like I said it works if I put pressure on the key when inserted into the ignition.   Any suggestions???   Also has anyone replaced the ignition?  Price?  difficulty?

Reply #1September 01, 2008, 06:43:34 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
another ignition question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:43:34 pm »
99.9% probability it's your ignition switch... and it's giving you a bit of warning by being wonky before it quits completely and leaves you stranded.

Very cheap part but a small bit challenging to replace... you need to remove the steering wheel, the two stalk switch assemblies, and then two tricky bits:

1) the spline adapter... need a stout puller to do this and it may fight a bit
2) the switch assembly itself... there's a shear bolt on the left hand side that you can possibly grip with vicegrips, or drill out, or file a groove for a screwdriver.

After that one screw and out comes the switch... putting everything back will take 5 minutes.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com