S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: If you've stripped a bolt/screw etc...  (Read 3157 times)

August 23, 2008, 10:00:50 pm

madmedix

• Junior

If you've stripped a bolt/screw etc...
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:50 pm »
Hi Folks.

I put this in the upgrades section because it's probably where it'll get read the most... :)

Some time back I was having grief with a pooched wheel cylinder etc and I read a couple posts today about some of you having the same problems of fasteners of any type completely stripped/rounded etc. The wife picked up these puppies at Sears and they are worth it. They've got reverse-spirals cut into them and I've removed many fasteners with them and they are as sharp as the day I got them (that's grease on the face of them, not rust). Using a wrench, it even backed out the nasty nuts on an exhaust clamp.

They're female easy-outs and now cheap enough to get one for each tool box. The skin you'll save using these will make the post-repair beers go down better  :D

Cheers,
Andy

'90 TD Jetta

Reply #1August 28, 2008, 09:13:38 pm

Dirtrag2

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:38 pm »
Yup, they are definately woth every penny! I had a stripped lug nut on the front wheel of my GMC jimmy those babies did the job!
I've since purchased another set ( metric  :lol:  ) and they get me out of a jam every time!
...Darcy
'97 Jetta 1.9TD ( dirtrag2 )
'88 Fox Wagon ( projekt Dirtrag 3 )

Reply #2August 28, 2008, 09:49:18 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:18 pm »
Yeah I own the complete set from Canadian Tire. I've only ever broken one of them, and it was probably hammering it on or using my impact on it. I love these things. Lifetime waranty so I always abuse them. They hold up really well.
Tyler

Reply #3September 08, 2008, 05:16:42 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 05:16:42 am »
I called cdn tire and they said they didn't have them!
What a load!
They had "screw outs" are those the same thing?

My easy outs are a small set of Torques sockets that i just hammer on there. but i would really like real ones like yours madmedix. I'll check out the sears in my city.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #4September 19, 2008, 04:13:00 pm

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »
I have discovered that not every CanTire carries the same stuff (as in Associate Store). Once returned an item to one in one city that was bought at a CTC in another. Wouldn't do it because it's not a CTC item. When I went back to the place of purchase....they took it and wouldn't answer the question of why they're selling something they're not supposed to.

When you go to Sears, get the big kit with all the sizes in it. It has really small ones and extremely large ones you can't get separately or in "four piece kits".

Their sidewalls are too thin for impact gun use. Guaranteed to break one that way.

Cheers,
Andy
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #5January 31, 2009, 12:46:33 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

Re: If you've stripped a bolt/screw etc...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:46:33 am »
Quote from: "madmedix"
Hi Folks.

I put this in the upgrades section because it's probably where it'll get read the most... :)

Some time back I was having grief with a pooched wheel cylinder etc and I read a couple posts today about some of you having the same problems of fasteners of any type completely stripped/rounded etc. The wife picked up these puppies at Sears and they are worth it. They've got reverse-spirals cut into them and I've removed many fasteners with them and they are as sharp as the day I got them (that's grease on the face of them, not rust). Using a wrench, it even backed out the nasty nuts on an exhaust clamp.

They're female easy-outs and now cheap enough to get one for each tool box. The skin you'll save using these will make the post-repair beers go down better  :D

Cheers,
Andy

I bought the Sears set about 5 years ago and never remember I have them till I see a picture like this, they're in a drawer in my box I hardly ever get in.   I used other peoples in the shops then but I haven't even tried these yet but I know they work great.  We had the ones for lug nuts for use with impact guns and they were priceless when you need it.

S-PAutomotive.com