Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan  (Read 143936 times)

Reply #390September 07, 2009, 11:20:45 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:45 am »
I once had a woman warn me that I was filling up with diesel, I says 'yeah I know', she says 'does it get better mileage that way?' I didn't bother explaining.

LMAO, thats awesome.

one time i was filling up my rabbit, and the kid comes running out of the hut in the middle of all the pumps. "dude, what are you doing?!" as i have my trunk open and the nozzle in the back of my rabbit. lol. then he takes a few more steps and he could see exactly what i was doing, filling up my diesel KEG. another time i pull up to a diesel pump and im on the phone, and before i know it, the pump attendant had a couple gallons of diesel on the ground. she tried filling it up with the stock fuel filler. witch is weird, because i always park drivers side towards the pump, so the stock fill is on the outside. but she just stretched that hose a little more and pumped away. then i heard something on the ground. WOAH!, stop, thats not where the diesel goes!

Reply #391September 07, 2009, 02:52:31 pm

arb

« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2009, 02:52:31 pm »
I once had a woman warn me that I was filling up with diesel, I says 'yeah I know', she says 'does it get better mileage that way?' I didn't bother explaining.

LMAO, thats awesome.

one time i was filling up my rabbit, and the kid comes running out of the hut in the middle of all the pumps. "dude, what are you doing?!" as i have my trunk open and the nozzle in the back of my rabbit. lol. then he takes a few more steps and he could see exactly what i was doing, filling up my diesel KEG. another time i pull up to a diesel pump and im on the phone, and before i know it, the pump attendant had a couple gallons of diesel on the ground. she tried filling it up with the stock fuel filler. witch is weird, because i always park drivers side towards the pump, so the stock fill is on the outside. but she just stretched that hose a little more and pumped away. then i heard something on the ground. WOAH!, stop, thats not where the diesel goes!

LMAO  2 !!

I had a keg as well once, but it was on my 73 Nova SS - the stock tank rusted out. I was on a college road trip once and low on money, so I put about 40% diesel fuel in with my leaded gas. Diesel then was quite a bit cheaper than gas. The carb on the puntched 283 did just fine. The exhaust smelled kinda sweat. A unique smell.

How things has changed - no CAT's back then on gassers, but now diesels have 2 separate CAT's and a DPF, maybe even a throttle plate on the intake !

Reply #392September 07, 2009, 04:14:34 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2009, 04:14:34 pm »
oh no, all diesels have an air throttle now. its sad  :'(

Reply #393September 08, 2009, 08:52:19 am

arb

« Reply #393 on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:19 am »
I pulled that half eaten timing belt off yesterday and ordered a new one. My lower cover needs to be replaced now (Anyone got an extra one ???)

To get to work the next 3 days it will take for them to get the Gator Back (Goodyear) belt, I installed the belt that came on this engine. I have no idea if it has 1,000 miles on it or 60,000 but it looks good.

I retimed the engine, moving the IP one tooth forward. I could only rotate the IP enough to get 0.045" (1.117mm). It starts easy and has a good idle even cold. My power is back so I'm happy with that level. When it gets cold I might have to connect the cold start lever to a cable...

Reply #394September 14, 2009, 11:45:32 am

arb

« Reply #394 on: September 14, 2009, 11:45:32 am »
Still looking for a lower cover - have a line on one along with a cam baffle.

So, I decided now was the time to replace the wheel bearings / brakes from the 14" rims to the 15" rims - Dodged used 2 different bolt patterns. My drive way is gravel, so I was never comfortable trusting the jack stands on gravel - I would put them on 2x4's.. So, I modified them Saturday with angle iron.

Next, with the car up, I thought I'd find the source of a very troubling noise / slop that had developed in the steering linkage... I feared it was the custom end to the rack & pinion I made... nope, the bolt at column coupling was never tight. Easy fix.

Next, the brakes. I was worried about the bolts that hold the hub on the car - the bolts were very very rusty - I heated them good and hot with propane and they came right off.

Nice new brakes :-) I then had a frantic run to find a tire shop still open as one of the tires I was to use was rotten and would not hold air.

This morning I found I have some electrical problems - the power to energize my GP relay, Radio, lighter socket (for GPS), and alternator was missing. Looks like a fuse, but I drove in w/o issue.

Reply #395September 14, 2009, 01:37:16 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #395 on: September 14, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
I like that jack stand mod.  I might do that with 1/4" plate across the whole bottom of the stands.  Thanks for the idea.

Andrew

I dunno about you, but I have this crap under my gravel, and I'd think that a smooth bottom may slide around. I'm going to weld up a set with the angle down all the way around.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #396September 14, 2009, 08:04:34 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #396 on: September 14, 2009, 08:04:34 pm »
ok, i gotta ask, did you paint your freakin brakes? like the disk and all?

Reply #397September 15, 2009, 08:47:45 am

arb

« Reply #397 on: September 15, 2009, 08:47:45 am »
ok, i gotta ask, did you paint your freakin brakes? like the disk and all?

That is an excellent idea. I wanted to paint them red, but I ran out of high temp red. Maybe this weekend ! I did coat the mating surfaces of the hub to pinion arm (Could not remember the proper name of the chunk of steel that ball joint, strut, tie-rod end, and wheel hub bolts too) , disc to hub, brake bracket to pinion arm, etc with Never Seize.

On the  Jack stands, I thought of the 1/4" plate too as I have a nice chunk, but I too was worried about sliding. The 2" wide angle iron gives a lot of surface area so it will not sink, but also allows some grip so it doesn't slide. If I was going to use it on sand, I think I'd do the plate but have it recessed so the legs still bite about 3/8" for when you're on uneven gravel like mine (it has a crown and slopes towards the garage.)

Reply #398September 15, 2009, 11:53:12 am

FoXBoXRaCiNG

• Junior

« Reply #398 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:12 am »
My cat has A.D.D :(

Reply #399September 15, 2009, 11:56:04 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #399 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:04 am »

Reply #400September 15, 2009, 12:32:01 pm

Reply #401September 16, 2009, 09:13:55 am

arb

« Reply #401 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13:55 am »
Had a problem yesterday on the way to work... gradually lost boost and power. By the time I got to work, power settings that should have shown 5 -6 psi were barely moving the needle off zero. There was a strange sound at high rpm and partial miss-firing. The sound was similar to that of a pressure washer. By the time I left for home, absolutely zero boost and the power of an old tired NA rabbit with the A/C on ;-) Of course this was made worst by the now 15" tires I'm turning up front. 65 was max speed WOT and it took miles to get to that speed... My worst case thought was the cheep porthe turbo had seized causing the back pressure to make the sounds and reduction in power. Got home and put my hand near the turbo - I felt a substantial leak. Bummer. Had to sleep on this. This morning I found that all 4 of the nuts holding my custom turbo / manifold flange to the manifold had come loose. In fact, one had fallen off and another would have fallen off if it was not for the turbo bolt behind it preventing this. I could not get a nut on the manifold stud, but I put more red lock-tite on the other 2 studs and really tightened the 2 nuts. The bottom nut on the drivers side I could not touch.

WOW !! I have boost again. 8 - 10 psi easy. Must be they were working loose for some time. I'm considering just TIG welding that flange to the manifold tonight to eliminate another possible leak. If I do, I'll take the chance to dis-connect the waste gate servo line :-)

This also makes it very clear that if you have an NA, you can get considerable more free power (same fuel burn) by putting a turbo on it and thus having an eco-diesel.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:15:33 am by arb »

Reply #402September 16, 2009, 10:25:32 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #402 on: September 16, 2009, 10:25:32 am »
i had to make a mount that went from my exhaust flange to my engine block. my flange used to come loose every few weeks. then i made the mount. i have ran it thousands of miles without loosening.

Reply #403September 16, 2009, 10:35:14 am

arb

« Reply #403 on: September 16, 2009, 10:35:14 am »
i had to make a mount that went from my exhaust flange to my engine block. my flange used to come loose every few weeks. then i made the mount. i have ran it thousands of miles without loosening.

What does your mount look like? Notice I made one from my down pipe to the engine block. Maybe I need another?

Reply #404September 16, 2009, 10:39:13 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #404 on: September 16, 2009, 10:39:13 am »
its a chunk of 1" steel stock about 6-8 inches long with a right angle bend on the end and a hole. yea, exhaust flange, downpipe, whatever you wanna call it, same thing. i welded it to that. just takes the flex out of the exhaust. and since my exhaust system is made from 2.5 inch flex pipe, i have some serious flex.

S-PAutomotive.com