S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan  (Read 143939 times)

Reply #375September 01, 2009, 06:10:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »
Is the pump itself different? Some of the turbo pumps had smaller heads I believe. Some pumps being worn more than others could take a thou or two more advance as well. Seeing the stuff you have made I am sure you will get it right. Or send it to Giles  ;D

Reply #376September 02, 2009, 09:11:46 am

arb

« Reply #376 on: September 02, 2009, 09:11:46 am »
Is the pump itself different? Some of the turbo pumps had smaller heads I believe. Some pumps being worn more than others could take a thou or two more advance as well. Seeing the stuff you have made I am sure you will get it right. Or send it to Giles  ;D

Yes, its an entirely different 9mm N/A pump. I was a bit drained last night and this is my DD, so I did not rip into re-timing it again because I was thinking about how to do this w/o pulling the injection lines. Currently I use a dial indicator and magnetic stand. It works if you remove the injection lines. Not fun and wastes a bunch of time:

So, being a bit lazy I started thinking of making a tool out of the top half of that bolt I bought to use Andrew's method of replacing the pump head O-ring...  I'll drill out the center, weld a bracket to the head about 6" long, put an offset into it so the indicator is aligned with the center of the bolt, making a rod to extend the end of the indicator so it will reach the internal plate yet give movement to indicator. I'm thinking a sold 1/8" welding rod, glued into a tube that slips over the pin of the dial indicator. Photos to follow.

Reply #377September 02, 2009, 10:30:41 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #377 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:41 pm »
You might be able to use a 10-24 or 10-32 or whatever thread the Dial indicator is Die to thread your welding rod...I good piece of drill rod would work too. Maybe even a bolt that has the correct thread with the head cut off and rounded.  Just giving you some ideas as I am a frugal SOB and do stuff like this all the time.  :D

Reply #378September 03, 2009, 09:16:05 am

arb

« Reply #378 on: September 03, 2009, 09:16:05 am »
You might be able to use a 10-24 or 10-32 or whatever thread the Dial indicator is Die to thread your welding rod...I good piece of drill rod would work too. Maybe even a bolt that has the correct thread with the head cut off and rounded.  Just giving you some ideas as I am a frugal SOB and do stuff like this all the time.  :D

Yeah, me too. With the falling auto industry and with it good pay, I'm a real cheap skate !! (a divorce who's litigation still isn't over does not help = advice = guys, 1) don't marry a woman with children unless you don't mind being their ATM machine. 2) if you get divorced, GO TO TRIAL - in Michigan it is a 50% - 50% for almost everything. A trial resolves everything once and for all.)

OK, it was timing !! Good thing I didn't touch the fueling yet w/o my pyro meter installed. For some reason it was at 0.030" (0.076mm) and not the 0.040" (1.02mm) I had thought I set it too. I have an N/A pump so 0.035" (0.90mm) is at the bottom of the range. I like running at the top of the turbo range. I made my tool and reset the timing to 0.036" (0.91mm) - it was the end of the travel for rotation the pump clockwise (facing the nozzle end) so to get my additional 0.004" (0.11mm) I would have to pop the belt and move it one tooth and rotate the other way. I will do this after I get the Gator Back (Goodyear) belt this weekend. Then the damaged Italian belt can come off. I had plenty of power this morning and need to drive to the other side of the state to get my pop-up camper tonight... Plenty of power for this I think ;-)

Here's the bolt and bracket:

Here's welding the other side:

Here's what the setup looks like:

And on the engine. A little tricky getting the screw and nut to hold the indicator on the bracket, not nothing too hard. Sure saved some time with all the lines and bleeding them, etc.

Reply #379September 03, 2009, 09:17:20 am

arb

« Reply #379 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
YIKES !! I see my throttle cable got wacked out of position !!

Reply #380September 03, 2009, 09:50:48 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #380 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:48 am »
Arb, I like ur bracket. The factory unit is concentric and the dial gauge is smaller in diameter which allows the entire unit to be threaded in as one assembly. With the 2.5" diameter gauge like yours (and mine), that is not possible. I made my own adapter also but didn't take good measurements, which made it necessary to remove the injector hard lines before it can be used. i need to make another adapter that works with hard lines installed. in your setup, does the long indicator rod touch the sleeve? If yes, do you think it would bias the reading?

. certainly works

Reply #381September 03, 2009, 10:29:45 am

arb

« Reply #381 on: September 03, 2009, 10:29:45 am »
Arb, I like ur bracket. The factory unit is concentric and the dial gauge is smaller in diameter which allows the entire unit to be threaded in as one assembly. With the 2.5" diameter gauge like yours (and mine), that is not possible. I made my own adapter also but didn't take good measurements, which made it necessary to remove the injector hard lines before it can be used. i need to make another adapter that works with hard lines installed. in your setup, does the long indicator rod touch the sleeve? If yes, do you think it would bias the reading?

It slides freely in the sleeve/ hallow bolt. So, yes, on one side. The hole is 2x the shaft size and the shaft is coated TIG rod, so it is very smooth. Just to be sure, while spinning back the engine, I touch the end of the shaft (next to the dial) to be sure it has not stopped moving for friction reasons. No change. I tested it without touching it and got the same results. Not sure why I had bad readings last time, but apparently the mag mount for dial must have shifted. This way works great ! I like the 2.5" dial as I use it for many other things (brakes, axle shafts, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:31:40 am by arb »

Reply #382September 04, 2009, 10:55:28 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »
pics of the timing device?  ;D
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #383September 04, 2009, 11:51:43 pm

arb

« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2009, 11:51:43 pm »
pics of the timing device?  ;D

Hi Macka.

Are you asking about the bracket  made to check the timing w/o removing the injection lines again ? They are at the bottom of the previous page:
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=15633.390

Tomorrow I'll replace that damaged timing belt and move the IP one tooth so I can have my proper 1mm of advance rather than 0.9x mm :-)

Reply #384September 05, 2009, 11:13:36 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2009, 11:13:36 pm »
you wont have to move it a tooth i bet. cause when you put that new belt on there, its going to probably be alot less stretched, and it will probably time out just fine.

Reply #385September 06, 2009, 02:47:19 am

arb

« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2009, 02:47:19 am »
Timing belts are specifically designed to not stretch at all.  I have changed many belts that were 60,000 miles or even older and have actually checked the timing before and after the belt swap several times and it has never been different one iota.  The reason for the timing check after a belt swap is not to compensate for stretch but rather for the off chance that the belt was manufactured a slightly different length.

"Ah-mean" as my lovely Ukrainian wife says :-D  I still have to replace that damaged belt and move the IP a tooth an re-time it. I drove it today some distance. The interesting thing was pulling up to the dedicated diesel pump for a fill-up and having a middle aged woman drive up to me and ask if my Caravan was re-engined with a diesel. :-)  The highest form of complement :-)

Reply #386September 06, 2009, 12:44:49 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
dude, thats a once in a life time thing. a woman ask you if you put a diesel in your van? thats friggen awesome. haha.

Reply #387September 06, 2009, 01:12:22 pm

arb

« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »
dude, thats a once in a life time thing. a woman ask you if you put a diesel in your van? thats friggen awesome. haha.

You got that right... looking back I have been driving this since April 27, and not once has a man asked the question. That surprises me. I get a few funny looks, but I guess the masses have forgotten the days of 50 mpg diesel cars in the USA.

Reply #388September 06, 2009, 01:57:25 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »
haha, i love it when people ask me what kinda mileage i get. "oh, about 35 with my foot to the floor and a black cloud behind me the entire time, or around 50 if im nice to it." the looks on their faces is absolutely priceless. its especially funny when they are driving a ricer and they tell me its faster. then we go out to the jetty (3 mile long straight stretch with no traffic ever) and lay it down. there arent too many kids around here who will line up against me anymore. last car was a green fart can equipped honda civic. thought he wanted a piece of me at a stop light, revved up his engine a few times, so i gave him a small burp of the throttle to let him know it was on, then the light turned green. i could hear him shifting and revving to about 80,000 trying to catch me, then we pulled up to the next stop light, and he tried again, and again, he was behind me somewhere in the smoke. at the next stop light he turned and left with his tail between his legs.

Reply #389September 07, 2009, 03:32:59 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #389 on: September 07, 2009, 03:32:59 am »
"Ah-mean" as my lovely Ukrainian wife says :-D  I still have to replace that damaged belt and move the IP a tooth an re-time it. I drove it today some distance. The interesting thing was pulling up to the dedicated diesel pump for a fill-up and having a middle aged woman drive up to me and ask if my Caravan was re-engined with a diesel. :-)  The highest form of complement :-)

That mustuv been a happy moment for you, and she mustuv been a rare woman ;D

I once had a woman warn me that I was filling up with diesel, I says 'yeah I know', she says 'does it get better mileage that way?' I didn't bother explaining.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:34:33 am by rabbitman »
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com