Author Topic: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan  (Read 143957 times)

Reply #345August 24, 2009, 01:51:47 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Re: 1.6L TD in a Dodge Caravan
« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
Arb, only the 4 corner bolts on the head are torx, the other 2 are hex. Did you use a torx bit on a hex bolt? Of the 4 corner bolts 2 of them have thicker heads and they are longer than the 2 thinner head bolts. After the bracket is removed, put the 2 longer bolts back in and they should be long enough to back out the head to expose the o-ring. Good luck.

Reply #346August 24, 2009, 02:13:48 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2009, 02:13:48 pm »
since these are cap screws (allen head bolts) how do I get these to grip? They look like they are for hex-head bolts. 

Don't worry, those will grip ANY fastener.  They are actually made for rounded-off bolts and work extremely well on cap screws too.  If there was a contest for "best cheap tool to save your ass" then these sears removers would win it hands-down.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #347August 24, 2009, 11:16:26 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #347 on: August 24, 2009, 11:16:26 pm »
If you don't have a place selling Free All, PM me your address and I will get you a bottle. It works better than everything I have ever tried on stuck stuff. I sell about 10 different types of penetrating oil and this one is the best I have used. Good luck getting it going again.

Reply #348August 25, 2009, 09:06:28 am

arb

« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2009, 09:06:28 am »
Arb, only the 4 corner bolts on the head are torx, the other 2 are hex. Did you use a torx bit on a hex bolt? Of the 4 corner bolts 2 of them have thicker heads and they are longer than the 2 thinner head bolts. After the bracket is removed, put the 2 longer bolts back in and they should be long enough to back out the head to expose the o-ring. Good luck.

if you notice in my photo, I'm using torx bit on the corner bolts -  used allen on the other 2 - they are off, just 2 of the corner bolts would not budge. The odd thing is this pump has smaller heads on the bolts than the other 4 IP I have on the bench. Strange.

At this point, I think I'll completely go through the best pump and if it looks good inside, rebuilt it and put it on my engine.

Reply #349August 25, 2009, 06:05:26 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #349 on: August 25, 2009, 06:05:26 pm »
Sears has the external easy out for the outside of bolts. I bought the complete set for another project.
http://milo.com/craftsman-bolt-out-5-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-

these little beauties work better then easy outs for soem situations. The trick is keeping constant pressure on them. Also have you tried putting a little atf around the bolts to break the rust out of the threads?
since these are cap screws (allen head bolts) how do I get these to grip? They look like they are for hex-head bolts.  I tried loads of WD-40. That's why its wet. Maybe it will have soaked in since yesterday :-)

I've used them on rounded off bolts my neighbour made with his handy dandy adjustable left handed metric wrench.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #350August 25, 2009, 09:33:42 pm

arb

« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2009, 09:33:42 pm »
Thanks guys, I realllllly appreciate all the help. I have been a bit distracted today with my Dad passing yesterday. 30 years "on the job" as they said in NYPD Blues with a cigar in his mouth most of the time caught up with him --- RIP ---... In his words =

'Tomorrow is another day'

Reply #351August 26, 2009, 11:33:32 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2009, 11:33:32 am »
My condolences bud, take your time and remember we'll still be here when you get back. Take care of your family they need you right now.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #352August 27, 2009, 11:41:53 am

88jetta350

« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2009, 11:41:53 am »
since these are cap screws (allen head bolts) how do I get these to grip? They look like they are for hex-head bolts. 

Don't worry, those will grip ANY fastener.  They are actually made for rounded-off bolts and work extremely well on cap screws too.  If there was a contest for "best cheap tool to save your ass" then these sears removers would win it hands-down.

Brendan

Agreed. Those are probably one of the best tools that Craftsman has put out lately, a close second is their twisted wrenches.

Reply #353August 27, 2009, 12:48:12 pm

arb

« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2009, 12:48:12 pm »
I started to replace the seal in the car yesterday. I got that top stubborn bolt off after I removed (and cleaned) the fitting for the injector line. Notice where the bolt is.

Then I got the bottom with a very tight Torx bit. Worked great. Went inside to eat dinner and returned to see tragedy had set in. I thought it was going to take some force getting them apart, but the several days of WD-40 let gravity separate them without Andrew's bolt being tightened as required to keep everything in place.
I thought I could get it back together if I carefully pushed them together, so I tightened Andrew's bolt, and them the two new bolts until the seal was just exposed by 1 - 2mm... I tried to peal off the old o-ring, but it was partially fused to the housing from the heat of over heating... There was on piece that was on the back side of the housing where it was impossible to remove it and have a clean groove for the new seal.. so I had to remove the body anyway. Once appear, there was no way to just put it back together...

So, on to resealing a spare pump that was pulled from a running engine. I cleaned it inside and out first. Looks really good inside.

Since it looked so good inside, I decided to only replace the top seal, the body - body seal, and the shaft seal with Viton seals. Someone posted on the net how to do the body seal using gravity to hold everything in place... I also used Andrew's bolt and it worked great !

I was amazed how much the o-ring would stretch. It looked perfect before closing.

Getting the old shaft seal out was a pain

But the new one went in w/o issue.

Next was the process of swapping pumps and retiming. MAN did I dodge the bullet on that belt not tracking right !! I got the top 2 IP bolts off but the bottom one is becoming hard to get at. Looks like I might have to remove the alternator & A/C mounts to get at the bottom bold.

Reply #354August 27, 2009, 06:30:49 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:49 pm »
I would say your pretty lucky that belt held!

To straighten it you need to pull the out end of the IP up/drive end down. That will require loosening all of the bracket bolts.

I had the same problem and after doing that it ran on the inside of the pulley.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #355August 27, 2009, 06:33:31 pm

arb

« Reply #355 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »
Anyone have a trick to remove the lower IP bolt (the 3 bolt flange to the mounting plate) without removing the alternator & A/C bracket ???

Reply #356August 27, 2009, 07:49:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #356 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
I think I got it with a flex end gear wrench.

Reply #357August 27, 2009, 10:50:17 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #357 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:17 pm »
Quote: "Went inside to eat dinner and returned to see tragedy had set in."

Arb, did the 2 bolts that was holding the head loosened on their own after you went in for dinner? ???
From the pic, that o-ring is out way too far. I had to make a tool out of stiff wire to separate the o-ring which was stuck in the groove also in unreachable areas.

Reply #358August 28, 2009, 10:10:01 am

arb

« Reply #358 on: August 28, 2009, 10:10:01 am »

Arb, did the 2 bolts that was holding the head loosened on their own after you went in for dinner? ???
From the pic, that o-ring is out way too far. I had to make a tool out of stiff wire to separate the o-ring which was stuck in the groove also in unreachable areas.

When I was able to break free the 2 last bolts, I backed them out to where you see them in the photo thinking it would take some force to separate the iron from the aluminum housing... when I came back from dinner, they had separated on their own and the iron moved far enough that things would have been out of alignment.

Reply #359August 28, 2009, 11:18:35 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #359 on: August 28, 2009, 11:18:35 am »

When I was able to break free the 2 last bolts, I backed them out to where you see them in the photo thinking it would take some force to separate the iron from the aluminum housing... when I came back from dinner, they had separated on their own and the iron moved far enough that things would have been out of alignment.

Did you have 2 bolts 180 degree apart, equally backed out on the head at all times? The 2 springs inside the pump pushing on the head are pretty hefty and unless you have 2 bolts holding the head back at all times you are asking for trouble. Is the slotted bolt from the pump or did you buy it as extra longs? The 2 bolts that hold the bracket on (at 2 and 8 o'clock of the head) are longer than the other 2 (at 10 and 4 o'clock). If you had taken the bracket off and put the 2 bolts from 2 and 8 o'clock back in and use them as keepers, you could have done it without buying longer bolts. When I did mine on the car, it was a very slow and tedious operation since it was my first time doing it. In the end, it came out alright even though I missed an important step of keeping constant pressure on the plunger.

S-PAutomotive.com