Author Topic: TDI Conversion Questions  (Read 2275 times)

July 31, 2008, 01:46:15 pm

JaysinSpaceman

TDI Conversion Questions
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:15 pm »
OK, so I have been doing a boat load of reading about VW diesels on the net as I would like to use one for a conversion in a 83 Toyota pickup but I am still left with a few questions.

First.  In my reading I have looked at TDI and IDI motors and one thing I cannot really find out is if the mechanical IDI motors can be made to get the same HP/TQ as the Electronic or Mechanical TDIs without the hassle of the TDI's electronics or the expense of converting the TDI to M-TDI.  Is the IDI a reasonable motor to expect around 200ft/lb from without a heap of money thrown at it and would it still be reliable and efficent (MPG)?

Second.  It seems to me that while the TDI IP is electrically controlled that it still works completely mechanically internally.  Would it be possible to directly control these function through mechanical means or is the pump just so completely different that it would be an exercise in futility to try to dirrectly convert the original pump?

Last.  I know that if I want to swap an ECU controlled TDI into my Toyota that it is best to use a pre 99.5 donor vehicle as it doesn't have all the immobilizer crap in the ECU, but what if I want to go the M-TDI route?  Can I use a later 99-03 engine to build a M-TDI?

I really want to build a truck that gets Good fuel mileage but also has a better torque output then the anemic 22r that is in it.  Thanx for your help and knowledge.   Also, this is a great message board keep up the good work.

Jaysin

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.  Henry Ford

Fixmyvw.com