S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Transmission oil Top up?  (Read 3013 times)

August 01, 2008, 09:00:33 pm

bobryan

• User+

Transmission oil Top up?
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
To start i believe my transmission is low on oil because it popped out of 5th gear when i was on a longer drive. But since then it has not done it and i have been on many short (30 Min ) highway drives.

So the first question is, is it my transmission oil is low or is there another reason?

My second question is can i just add transmission oil without draining the system. The only reason im asking this is because i tried to drain it but the plug is seized in there and my home-made bit is not strong enough to get it out.

My third question is where can i buy the proper 17mm bit? it is a inverted socket bit i have no idea what its called.
Thanks!

Reply #1August 01, 2008, 09:14:17 pm

bobryan

• User+

Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:14:17 pm »
Forgot to say this is a 1991 diesel Jetta, manual.

Reply #2August 01, 2008, 09:16:56 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:16:56 pm »
I don't think that it is because it is low that it left the gear. Usually, I would suspect the linkage, but I could be wrong Jimfoo or Vince will probably chime in on that or at least someone more knowledgable than me

I have always added to when needed.

My homemade tool is just a hex head cap screw or a regular bolt if you will with a nut welded to the other end and a socket or wrench to turn it. I haven't had a weld, rachet, socket, or wrench break yet...and I have been able to get them out

If you can't make that work there is always cornwell, matco, and s  s   s snap-on if you must have the tool. Hope this helps.

Reply #3August 01, 2008, 09:32:33 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:33 pm »
My linkage popped apart before and wouldn't allow me to go into fifth. It felt different though. If it just pops out it could be low on oil. Fifth sits where it will be starved of oil and will burn up first. Its only fed by like a few small holes.

www.brokevw.com

Great site. I learned butt loads.
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #4August 01, 2008, 10:40:23 pm

bobryan

• User+

Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:40:23 pm »
Well i dont know but i did get the socket bit, Also when i popped out i just held it in for the rest of the drive (1 Hr long) and it still goes into fifth so it never burned out yet. What does everyone think? Should i still replace the oil or is it just a loose linkage?

Reply #5August 01, 2008, 11:00:08 pm

Choppercat

• User+

Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:00:08 pm »
Oil is cheap  :wink: .
DIESEL SMOKE IS ADDICTIVE!!!

'93 AAZ Golf
'99 Jeep TJ
Project: '51 Willy's CJ-3A AAZ

Reply #6August 02, 2008, 11:11:44 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:11:44 am »
Typically those "inverted socket" bits are called Allen head bits, by the way.

I can't say I can definitively comment on the cause of the popping out of gear, having never owned a transverse VW in my life, but it does seem to be general consensus in my opinion that if you're popping out of fifth, at least check your transmission fluid.

A bottle of gear oil is cheaper than a new/used transmission!

Reply #7August 02, 2008, 12:42:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 12:42:20 pm »
I would definately at least check the oil and add if needed.
while your poking around look for more to work on :wink:

Reply #8August 02, 2008, 11:33:02 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Transmission oil Top up?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:33:02 pm »
Definitely check your oil.

You can just add oil as needed, there's a plug on the drivers side of the tranny that you fill through 'till it starts running out then your good. Hope this helps :D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #9August 03, 2008, 01:31:58 am