S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild  (Read 15999 times)

Reply #15October 31, 2005, 07:43:19 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

open to sugestions for custom 1.6ltd rebuild
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 07:43:19 am »
please post pic of the head crack..sound slike a weird palce for a crack maybe it was a casting line thet when you wiped it collectedthe soot and giunk there..did you pressure test it?..trying to save ya some effort ..the td head is better then a regular head..
Thanks
Deo

Reply #16October 31, 2005, 12:18:58 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 12:18:58 pm »
Sounds like a fun project.  However, with the vanes fixed solid like that, you won't be able to extract the full powerband potential offered by the variable vane turbocharger.

Although you might find that with an external wastegate that the powerband is acceptable, even then I don't think it will perform much better than a stock (vaneless, internally wastegated) turbocharger.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #17October 31, 2005, 05:15:55 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 05:15:55 pm »
That bolt on the actuator arm was there when I bought the turbo and I haven't put a controler on it yet. I was going to do it like you fspGTD
on that rabbit. I drive a 1999 jetta tdi with 200,000 miles on it and the vnt I have that I can't use on my project only has 20,000 on it so I was going to swap them on my jetta then use the old actuator on my new turbo, that is unless I can find an actuator for my new turbo then I'll have a good high mineage turbo sitting around :wink: .
Well here are some pics of the engine with the bus tranny on it and the crack in the water jacket.

yha I snaped off the heads of the bolts to the rear water housing that's how I noticed the crack

If it was just me riding in the van I would risk it and see what happened but my wife is cronicly ill and if that crack makes it into the exhaust port and we end up on the side of the road that will also mean a trip to the ER :shock:  for my wife and the time spent there is almost as long as it takes to change the head :? .
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #18October 31, 2005, 06:00:00 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 06:00:00 pm »
Very good!  Carry on! :P
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #19November 01, 2005, 07:52:26 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 07:52:26 am »
i can't seethe pics..did they work for others?

Reply #20November 01, 2005, 08:44:51 am

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 08:44:51 am »
sorry about that. I must have moved the pics in my photot bucket there back up now.
If you look closely you can see that the crack is shiny and not rust colored so it is fairly new. My guess is that it may have gotten to hot. The engine ran when I got it but there was only one foot of exhaust pipe hanging off the turbo and the water pump belt was so loose it could be sliped off the pully if you tried but would still move it slitely when running.
It is sad when you smell smoke while driving and you think" some poor SOB must have an engine fire. Oh well sucks to be them" only to notice smoke billowing out of your car and be over heard saying "not again".

Reply #21November 02, 2005, 01:15:18 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
crack
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 01:15:18 am »
Lots of hard deposits on the walls.
 I wonder if thats just a crack in the hard deposits in your cooling sytem walls.
 Still there if you chip some of those flakes away?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #22November 02, 2005, 08:37:40 am

neich

• User+

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 08:37:40 am »
Quote from: "moTthediesel"
The 5 pot engine bell housing bolt pattern is totaly different then the 4, sorry.
Here's an idea for you though -- that 5 cly Audi diesel will bolt right into a Porsche 924/944  8)
moT

FYI, there is a place where you can find a VW South Africa bellhousing specially built to match Vanagon 4cyl transmission with any VW 5cyl engine. But I don't know if vanagon 4cyl transmission have the same bolt pattern that other VW 4cyl  transmissions ...

Here it is the link:

http://www.sa-teile.de/5cyl.html

Reply #23November 03, 2005, 09:25:51 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 09:25:51 pm »
I like the KEP kit. It takes the hessel out of trying to get every thing to line up and on the engine side of the adapter there is a inspection hole so you can time the engine. I looked at the other engine I have and it has a small crack in the same place so I'm hopeing that it has something to do with casting :? . My camera died before I could get a pic of that or of the adapter I welded up to conect the vnt turbo to the old manifold. here are some pics of the existing turbo setup for comparison to the new set up when I can take some pics.the new turbo will sit 3" lower than the old one.
If you look at the adapter plate you can see the knock out for checking timing.When I first got the kit I couldn't figure out what it was for until I saw the timing marks on the back of the fly wheel.

Reply #24November 04, 2005, 07:27:21 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 07:27:21 am »
yep i looked in a bunch of my engines and i see the same "crack"..i think it just where the casting seam is..not a actual crack...hope this helps you..i can snap some pics today if you want..
thanks deo

Reply #25November 04, 2005, 09:01:02 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 09:01:02 am »
Just wondering why they only did it to one cylinder.  

The system just draws the "soot" from one end of the exhaust manifold, it distributes the soot evenly to all cylinders via the intake manifold.

Reply #26November 04, 2005, 10:22:33 am

addautomotive

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 10:22:33 am »
Quote from: "moTthediesel"
Ruben,
Not absolutely sure, but I'm thinking that the 6 pot Volvo does share the same bolt pattern as the Audi 5. Pretty long engine for the 924, but you could probably make it fit.
V. Cool Project!
moT

Not as cool as putting a diesel in a 356!!! Got pics?!?!?

I'm hunting for a 911 "roller" with the same thing in mind. Looking to buy next summer. Have an adapter plate hanging on my garage wall.

How are you hoing to handle cooling?

Reply #27November 04, 2005, 01:01:27 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 01:01:27 pm »
I am torn between mounting the rad under the floor boards where the after market ac condenser is with a ram scoop to the front of the van or mount it in the nose like on the mexican bus's but with a home made grill. I want it to look fairly stock. If I do it in the nose I'll have to be carefull about how high up I put it because I'm taking the complete under dash ac system from the donor car and mount it under the vans dash. I also have the ac system from a 1993 camaro that I am toying with the idea of puting under the back seat for dual zone ac. The motor from the Quantum had a power stearing pump on it that I pulled and I took the alternater bracket from my spare engine and installed in place of the pump so I can run dual atlinaters in the future.

Reply #28November 04, 2005, 01:13:52 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 01:13:52 pm »
I remember seeing an H2O cooledvan in a really old issue of Hot VWs.  You know how some vans mount spare tires on the front?  They made a faux one and had the radiator inside.  With all the surface area of the steel pipes running under the truck and that added capacity, they used a fairly small radiator.  Looked very factory and wasn't noticeable unless you were very close.
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #29November 04, 2005, 01:48:16 pm

dirtytom

• User+

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 01:48:16 pm »
I've seen several setups online like that but it takes away from the simple smooth look. My old man used to drive me and my 3 siblings around in a 1975 vw van and it is a pasion of mine to have both the look and ride of the vans. The 1.6l td motor puts out 1 more horse stock than the original van engine and I'm not going to run the td too stock :twisted:

S-PAutomotive.com