General Information > Upgrades (non engine related )

Shift linkages

(1/3) > >>

srivett:
It doesn't matter how many horsepower you've got at the wheels if you can't get your car into first.  The sad truth is that my shift linkage has more slop than adjustment (is there any adjustment?) so I'm stuck in the driveway.   :evil:

What kind of modifications are you using on your shifters?  I am willing to consider OEM parts for different models of cars or aftermarket.  When at the wrecker I noticed a heavily weighted forward/backward shifter link.  I'd like to know of some more robust bushings and ball sockets too.

I just put in a manual clutch cable even though Bentley says it is not interchangable with the automatic A2 cables.  I'll be keeping the auto cable in the trunk in case of emergency.

Cheers, Steve

Centurion:
OEM replacements at least get you out of the doorway - Had to do mine because of mileage - that and I used one for delivery -

Consider that in a 4 hour shift of driving - I completed 2000 shifts - multiply that by 6 nights a week - and you see the wobble of everything.

As for clutch cables - yes Bentley said no - I pulled it after the auto cable dropped out on me in another city - and I had to speed shift myself home.

Haven't had to do that since my days running a 13 speed - charcoal burner

Centurion

srivett:
Here's some part #s that I found today.  VW Canadas prices are about 4 times Altrom.ca's prices on the rods.  One of the bushines is 20 bucks at VW vs. 80 cents at Altrom!!!!!!

191 711 574 - long 220 mm socket ended rod
191 711 595 A - short 74 mm socket ended rod
171 711 067 B - clear relay shaft bushings (there is a different style white plastic bushing that you may need instead)
191 711 590 A - bushing for shaft running through transaxle mount
191 711 083 - relay shaft bracket (VW says you have to buy this if the main shift rod bushing is worn out), cost is 83 bucks!!!!

If anybody knows the part # for the rubber bushing that goes between the main shift rod and the relay shaft bracket I would appreciate hearing from you.  For the time being I will jam some pop bottle material in the void.   8)  If there is an entire rebuild kit available through Altrom I'd like to here about that too, I wouldn't mind getting that instead of ordering a pile of little pieces.  It's a shame their website doesn't have a bit better description of the parts they have.

Cheers, Steve

PYRO:
there's a place here in Dover DE that gets a whole shifter bushing rebuild kit that I got for my 83 Rabbit diesel I think it was 12bucks or some thing.  I installed 5 of the 9? bushings and got back 3gears!

The place is called Imparts in Dover DE... let me know if you want the phone #

BTW I'm pretty sure that they are factory parts.

Northern RD:

--- Quote from: "PYRO" ---there's a place here in Dover DE that gets a whole shifter bushing rebuild kit that I got for my 83 Rabbit diesel I think it was 12bucks or some thing.  I installed 5 of the 9? bushings and got back 3gears!

The place is called Imparts in Dover DE... let me know if you want the phone #

BTW I'm pretty sure that they are factory parts.
--- End quote ---

What`s thier addrees/phone number?
I`d be intrested in a kit like that.
N.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version