S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My 1985 Golf 1.6 N/A Build Thread - No 56k! Picture Time!  (Read 45746 times)

Reply #60October 24, 2008, 04:17:21 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
My 1985 Golf 1.6 N/A Build Thread - No 56k! Picture Time!
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2008, 04:17:21 am »
this is such a great thread - you're doing a marvallous job! hats off to you sir.

i too like your valve spring compressor. also, your work with the alternator is very helpful! great!
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #61October 24, 2008, 01:45:59 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:59 pm »
Thanks for posting that part about the head. that was really insightful. Where do the valve stem seals come in? I don't know all the in's and outs of the head.

does yours have keepers because its a mechanical head? I have a hydro head so do valve stem seals replace the keepers in the mechanical system?
Is valve removal the same for a hydro head (for the most part?)
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #62October 24, 2008, 02:11:07 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:07 pm »
All valves have keepers, the removal is about the same between hydro and solid lifter heads and the seals are under the lifters.

Remove lifter, remove keepers, remove spring and you can see the seal.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #63October 24, 2008, 03:20:48 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »
Ahh Thanks Dan :D
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #64November 29, 2008, 12:17:47 pm

riddleyo

• Junior

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2008, 12:17:47 pm »
I haven't been working on the VW as fast as I would like lately. This has been distracting me:

I just bought this 1991 Toyota MR2. I had to fix it up a bit because it will be my daily driver while the volkswagen is in the garage.

It is up and running, so now I can get back to work on the vw.

I found some more rust on the driver's floorpan:

Now I need to cut out the rust:

I cut out metal plates and epoxied them in. I used more screws to hold them in place while the epoxy cures.

Next, I used a product called "Rust Bullet" to coat the entire floor pan. It is a ultra tough coating that bonds to rust. Much like POR-15 except there is no need for extensive surface prep. After it dried, I couldn't damage the finish by stabbing it with a screw driver. This is tough stuff!

Here are where the two gaping holes used to be. The repair is now finished:

With all the rust repaired, I am going to start putting layers of sound deadening and sound absorbing materials in the interior.
1985 VW Golf Diesel 1.6L N/A
My Build Thread: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=14607.0

Reply #65November 29, 2008, 12:49:44 pm

riddleyo

• Junior

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »
The volkswagen diesel 1.6L is a very loud engine. I am going to try to quiet the interior of the car so I can listen to music without the diesel sound drowning the music out. To do this, I need to add sound deadening and sound absorbing materials. The deadening stuff reduces vibrations and the absorbing stuff quiets everything down.

First, I needed to remove all the existing sound deadening to make room for the new stuff. The OEM mat consists of a bunch of recycled fibers glued together. It is cheap to produce, but not very effective.

Here is some mass loaded vinyl left over from a home theater installation. It is a very heavy rubber sheeting. When this stuff is glued to the sheet metal, it adds mass which dampens any sounds or vibrations that try to pass through.
I could have used DynaMat or RAAMmat. But this was free.

I used contact adhesive to glue it to the floor pan of the car. Contact adhesive adheres just fine to the newly painted Rust Bullet surface.

Here is some sound absorbing foam that I bought. It is called Volara closed cell foam. It is similar to Ensolite that RAAM audio sells.  All it is, is foam that absorbs sound.

To get more performance out of the foam, I glued aluminum foil on the sheet of foam. Then I glued another sheet of foam on top of the  foil making a foam-foil sandwich. The theory is, that the aluminum foil will reflect sound back into the foam.

Here is the finished product. You can see the thin aluminum foil layer in between the two sheets of foam. (This picture was taken before I fixed the rust on the floor pan)

I used foil tape and contact adhesive to glue the foam sandwich to the interior of the car:

I did the whole dash like this:

As soon as I get more time, I will finish covering the interior with this foam. Then I will be able to run some speaker wire for the sound system...

Reply #66November 29, 2008, 04:46:39 pm

Possum79

• Veteran

• http://www.poscarclub.com
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
I must say the attention to detail is still astounding. Ive wanted to use dynamat or something like it but it is $$$. MY cheapy little car probably never will have it done.  :cry:
1979 VW Rabbit Diesel L
My car may be ugly but im addicted to it.

Reply #67November 29, 2008, 05:50:10 pm

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2008, 05:50:10 pm »
wow - you really have some great ideas.... well done!
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #68November 30, 2008, 03:56:44 pm

Typrus

• Junior

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 03:56:44 pm »
Mr. Deuce! I am a Toyota freak... Lol. Love those things... 5SFE or 3SGTE?

ANYWAY......

I'd recommend running overkill wiring to your speaker locations. Less voltage drop and crisper audio quality. If you really feel up to it, you could even set up a power distribution area in the back for future amplifiers for high end speakers and/or woofers... But you probably already knew that.

How challenging was that IP to do?

That front end looks SWEET! Got to love that dual-round. Looks much more exciting than the squares.

Got to love project cars... My first car was an 86 Toyota Tercel4wd that sat for 4 years. Fixed it up, drove it for a few months, then hit a mountain trying to do some fancy dirtroad driving. Ahh, 16.... Then about 2 months after that I fixed up the 84 Tercel4wd on the side of the house my sister had blown the engine on 6 years earlier, swapped engines, and drove it for almost 3 years. Fell asleep, went off the road, hit a mountain, then got a Camry. lol. Still driving that thing.. 95 5SFE project-car-unto-itself... I want my Terc back... Or a Rabbit. Or Golf. That'd be sweet.
1995 Toyota Camry 2.2L 5-speed
1984 Toyota Tercel 4wd Wagon 1986 "           "           "      "    
1996 VW Passat TDI 1Z w/ KermaTDI Stage 3 kit
1999.5 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke
2002 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke (Dads)

Reply #69December 01, 2008, 10:35:07 am

riddleyo

• Junior

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 10:35:07 am »
Quote from: "Typrus"
Mr. Deuce! I am a Toyota freak... Lol. Love those things... 5SFE or 3SGTE?

ANYWAY......

I'd recommend running overkill wiring to your speaker locations. Less voltage drop and crisper audio quality. If you really feel up to it, you could even set up a power distribution area in the back for future amplifiers for high end speakers and/or woofers... But you probably already knew that.

How challenging was that IP to do?

That front end looks SWEET! Got to love that dual-round. Looks much more exciting than the squares.

Got to love project cars... My first car was an 86 Toyota Tercel4wd that sat for 4 years. Fixed it up, drove it for a few months, then hit a mountain trying to do some fancy dirtroad driving. Ahh, 16.... Then about 2 months after that I fixed up the 84 Tercel4wd on the side of the house my sister had blown the engine on 6 years earlier, swapped engines, and drove it for almost 3 years. Fell asleep, went off the road, hit a mountain, then got a Camry. lol. Still driving that thing.. 95 5SFE project-car-unto-itself... I want my Terc back... Or a Rabbit. Or Golf. That'd be sweet.

Thanks for the comments.

The toyota is just a 5SFE. I wasn't lucky enough to score a turbo engine. But it is still pretty quick (especially compared to my vw diesel!)

The IP was fairly straight forward. I printed out a french forum topic that gave step by step instructions on how to assemble the IP. The hardest part was assembling the section that splits the fuel into the 4 nozzles. The springs are a pain in the butt to keep in place when assembling.

Project cars are always a lot of fun... as long as you have plenty of time and money!

S-PAutomotive.com