Author Topic: Hydrogen Fuel Brown Gas Anyone? Increase MPG  (Read 3096 times)

June 03, 2008, 07:13:31 pm

BioDieselVW

• Junior

Hydrogen Fuel Brown Gas Anyone? Increase MPG
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:31 pm »
Is anyone or has anyone tried a hydrogen fuel generator also know as brown gas in there IDI to increase fuel mileage? It works w/ both gasoline and diesel engines. I was thinking about trying it and wanted some feedback or thoughts from fellow oil burners......

81 Caddy 1.6 TD
Callaway Intercooler
4in Exhaust Stack
Super Pump !

Reply #1June 03, 2008, 07:25:53 pm

gigaz2

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:53 pm »
still waiting for someone to prove that you can generate more power from using the gas than the energy spent on the electrosis process.

until then... its fools gold

Reply #2June 03, 2008, 07:46:37 pm

CoolAirVw

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:46:37 pm »
85 Jetta Turbo Diesel
75 Porsche 914
93 GMC Truck
99 Caravan <--wifes gotta drive something :)

Reply #3June 03, 2008, 08:21:11 pm

gigaz2

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:11 pm »
I mean a good study showing that the energy from the "more efficient" burn is GREATER than the energy absorbed from the crankshaft to produce the gas.

I was able to show a friend not to trust on miracles. I told him I've bought a device that "conditioned" and "ionized" fuel and was saving me a lot of gas.
I sold it to him and installed it in his car when doing an oil change.
a week later he swore his mpg had dropped, then I took out the green plastic ball from around his fuel line and showed him it was a dud.

this HHO can be like that, or the real deal, if so someone can prove it easily. until then...

Reply #4June 03, 2008, 08:48:28 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:28 pm »
Another big thing to remember is that hydrogen doesn't explode. Ever.

Nope, hydrogen implodes, it's products of combustion much more dense than the fuel and oxidizer themselves. You'll get a bit of pressure from the heat released by combustion warming the products, but not nearly as much as you get from burning hydrocarbons, which pack more energy in a denser package.

It takes a lot of hydrogen to generate much pressure. Which is yet another reason why hydrogen/gasoline "flex fuel" vehicles get such horrifically poor economy on hydrogen. You thought the hit to economy on E85 was bad? Haven't seen anything yet. :roll:

Something that nobody's explained to me yet, though. Okay, so hydrogen's supposed to have an incredibly fast flame front (I'll give them that), allowing more rapid and complete combustion in a homogeneous fuel/air charge where your flame front speed dictates how rapidly you set fire to the rest of the fuel. But in a diesel you don't have a homogeneous charge, you have a stratified charge. At its fastest you can ignite the fuel as soon as it enters the chamber.

So what would be the benefit of having a homogeneous hydrogen/air charge with stratified injection? Your hydrogen's going to light off when the diesel first ignites, flame's going to spread nigh-instantaneously across the chamber, and you're still going to be injecting diesel when that hydrogen flame shuts out.

Sure, you raise the chamber temp a little bit, but it's not going to get hotter than the point temperatures right there at the injectors, where you have much more dense diesel gobbling up all the available oxygen to produce this gorgeous hotspot, so it won't help ignite the diesel injected during or after the hydrogen flamefest.

At best I can see it reducing NOx emissions by reducing the free oxygen in the charge before the heat really gets cranked up into NOx-forming ranges. But for those of you into the whole "greenhouse gasses" thing remember this: water vapour has been declared a more powerful "greenhouse gas" than CO2. Your H2O emissions are going to skyrocket if you're burning hydrogen in your engine.

Reply #5June 04, 2008, 12:34:06 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
http://www.water4diesel.com/

Supposedly 500cc of water every 2-3 months will increase your mileage 77%.  Snake oil always has been and always will be snake oil.  I don't think even 500 cc of water converted to hydrogen or HHO per tank would increase your fuel mileage by 77%.
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #6June 04, 2008, 12:43:09 pm

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
Quote from: "clbanman"
http://www.water4diesel.com/

Supposedly 500cc of water every 2-3 months will increase your mileage 77%.  Snake oil always has been and always will be snake oil.  I don't think even 500 cc of water converted to hydrogen or HHO per tank would increase your fuel mileage by 77%.

"We personally have tested a 2001 VW 1.9 TDI car. We passed from a consumption of  11.4 Km/L to 20,2 Km/l  and practicaly no smoke or evident pollution was generated!"
If they were only getting 27 mpg in a TDI, it had major problems to begin with. And their "water" brought it up to normal TDI mileage. What's wrong with this picture? File it all away along with Diesel Secret. :roll:
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

S-PAutomotive.com