General Information > Upgrades (non engine related )

Bigger Brakes

(1/7) > >>

VWRacer:
Woo hoo! I got us into this mess so I guess I'll go first...  :wink:

Who has put bigger brakes on their A1 and what did you do? Anybody got ideas for el cheapo brake upgrades?

Thanks!

malone:
My friend's A2 Jetta 2.0L 16v GTX has front brakes from a 2.0L A3 Golf or Jetta. They're plenty strong enough, no brake fade that he can recall. I may run a similar setup for my A2.

Just out of curiosity, what is the size of your current brakes?

VWRacer:

--- Quote from: "malone" ---Just out of curiosity, what is the size of your current brakes?
--- End quote ---
Both my Quantum and my '84 GTI have the stock 225mm (8 7/8") front rotors and rear drums. They work okay, but I would be willing to spend a few dollars to improve them if there are inexpensive bolt-on upgrades available.

I ask because I was looking at a friend's '00 Jetta the other day, and he upgraded his fronts to Audi TT brakes. They bolted right up, look absolutely killer, and stop his car on a dime.

vwmike:

--- Quote from: "VWRacer" ---Woo hoo! I got us into this mess so I guess I'll go first...  :wink:

Who has put bigger brakes on their A1 and what did you do? Anybody got ideas for el cheapo brake upgrades?

Thanks!
--- End quote ---

My gas Rabbit GTI has Scirocco 16v brakes. They're 10.1". I may go up to 11" brakes using the normal adapter plates they sell, and G60 rotors. I would have to use a carrier for a G60 or an audi 5000 Turbo. One of the cooler upgrades is G60 rotors with the adapter plates and Girling 60 (dual piston) calipers off of a 5000 Quattro. Rear disks are also a must (I'd rather switch to disks than do a brake job on drums). There isn't much upgrade beyond the stock 8.9" brakes that came on the Scirocco 16v, A2's, and A3's. It's hard to get rid of the rear bias as it is. With organic pads you can have lock up problems. Switching to a metallic pad or metalmasters on the extreme will cure the lock up as they never get hot enough to grab as hard as the organics do initially.

VWRacer:
Very cool, Mike!  8)

Were you able to stick with your stock snowflakes with the bigger rotors?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version