Author Topic: Questions to make a Rally GTD  (Read 2791 times)

June 02, 2008, 02:29:09 pm

dieselmex

Questions to make a Rally GTD
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:29:09 pm »
This is my first post here. I'm really surprised by the incredible amount of knowledge and I'm really happy to have subscribed, even when it's been years of using a great car!

I've found some questions already answered, but I'd like to post a few more before going into total overhaul to make my GTD MkIII a proper rally car.

Maybe the very first one is: what do you recommend to do to manage high temperatures and continued stress. This car will not be "overclocked to the limit", I guess it will stay around 100bhp. But I did some tests on tarmac (faster than what gravel will be) and temp always climbs up if I try to keep the engine going around 4Krpm most of the time. It happens too, in normal driving when I tackle a long incline, not exactly hillclimbing!

I haven't found anything on Oil-cooling systems and I haven't found anything that could suit the car properly, yet.

Second question: steering seems to be a problem, even with a proper rally rack because of the power-assisted pump. It's on the slow side to work in a competition environment, but it's a must have. Do you know if there's some sort of tweak to pump or mod that could make it respond faster?

I'll keep posting ideas and questions... I guess I landed in Diesel Nirvana because I live in a place where nobody knows about these engines.

Reply #1June 02, 2008, 06:18:55 pm

gigaz2

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 06:18:55 pm »
you can fit a mk1 gti filter housing. it already has connections for the oil radiator.
or an aftermarket adaptor.

but first things first. if your timing is out of spec it will heat more, create more stress.

if that engine will never see 5Krpm on a regular basis you can upgrade to a bigger plunger and bigger injectors.
that will enable to inject more fuel in the same time as stock, basically, you get more power and efficiency with stock timings.

Reply #2June 03, 2008, 08:33:11 am

MJF

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33:11 am »
1,6/1,8 oil filter housings will not fit to 1,9 blocks.
'74 VW Scirocco TD
'86 Audi 80q 1,9TDic
'01 Audi A6q 2,5TDI

Reply #3June 03, 2008, 11:08:53 am

gigaz2

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:53 am »
not directly, it has to be adapted, hence the next reccomendation, the universal adapter.

Reply #4June 03, 2008, 02:31:42 pm

dieselmex

universal?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 02:31:42 pm »
Timing is just .01 above spec, so I don't think it will be a problem.

To be honest, I haven't seen yet the system for the Mk1 GTI, but I'm going to look for it. The universal adapter is....? I suppose I'll have to make room for this, since the engine bay is so full with headers, IC and all electrical switches for lighting.

Does anybody have a recommendation on the steering pump?

Thanks a lot for the ideas.

Reply #5June 03, 2008, 03:49:06 pm

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:06 pm »
i've found that water wetter  in the cooling system makes a very noticable  difference in my summer temps ,  easily 1 1/2 needle widths cooler on the temp gauge , with the ac on , compared to without the water wetter and ac off .
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .