Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Buying TDI Beetle w/top end issue... advice please  (Read 4259 times)

April 20, 2008, 07:57:37 pm

swagboy

Buying TDI Beetle w/top end issue... advice please
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »
Hello all, just found this forum - wonderful info!

I am looking at a 1999 Beetle TDI, with an engine issue. Here is how the owner describes it:

"1999 VW Beetle, Black, 5spd, 80 000 miles, Turbo Diesel, Alloy wheels, Beige Cloth Interior, new tires, regulary did 800-1000km per tank.

Problem with the car: The car ran perfect until the timing belt skipped some teeth, and would not start after. My mechanical knowledge is very limited, I'm not sure what is needed to fix the car, from the mechanics I spoke to the most obvious solution is to either replace/change the valves, or replace the head. For someone with the proper know how this is an incredible deal (paid $16800 for the car 4 years ago). You are welcome to inspect the car before making an offer. This could end up being something really easy to fix."

I have only worked on diesel singles on boats, never complex TDIs like this one. First of all, would a timing belt issue have caused a major catastrophic failure? If the head needs replacing, how big a job is it?

Any advice appreciated, it is a very good price if the work is manageable.

Cheers!

Reply #1April 21, 2008, 08:51:43 am

the caveman

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:51:43 am »
if the price is right,  buy it. even if you had to send it to a shop to be fixed it shouldn't cost more than $ 2000 if it the worse case, head and belt to change, probably no damage to the pistons. If you do the job ,maybe it can be done for a grand. the worse thing is that it's on a new beetle which is a pain at best.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #2April 21, 2008, 09:53:45 am

stewardc

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:53:45 am »
My 98 Beetle TDI did the same thing and the complete engine was ruined (a new long block from VW is nearly $8000 not installed). They had a weakness in the motor mount that caused it to break and small pieces to drop off and go through the timing belt...breaking the belt (not causing it to skip a few teeth).
IMHO, RUN AWAY. Everything on the Beetle is special and very expensive to fix. Mine single-handedly cured me of a 20 year addiction to VW, though I did buy a Caddy as a toy.

Reply #3April 21, 2008, 11:30:33 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:33 am »
It all depends on the price.  There is nothing special about the beetle from the A4 Golf Jetta, different sheet metal (and plastic) and interiors but same engine/tranny/chassis.  Does the engine turn over at all?  Will probably need a new head at least.... it's a gamble really.  If it won't turn over, then I'd probably walk unless they'll take like $2000 for it.  The timing belt job is hard but doable by a home mechanic, the only special tools you need are cam/injection pump locking plate and pins and the wrench for the tensioner.  

I guess it depends on the rest of the car too.  Is it nice and clean otherwise?  Interior well-equipped?  Once the engine issues are dealt with the only real problem you might have would be interior trim pieces breaking/peeling which is annoying but not overly costly or detrimental to the way the car operates.  

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #4April 21, 2008, 11:34:29 am

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:34:29 am »
a used low km tdi from a wrecker , WITHOUT the computer is in the 1500 to 2500 dollar  range .

plus your time to  either fix the engine , or replace the motor .

myself i'd be seriously considering the car in the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range , assuming the rest is in good shape and looks like it has been taken care of .

if it looks like it has been beat at all in any way , either low ball them , or run the other way .

if you do buy it , and don't own a trailer , you are also going to incur some sort of cost to move  it .
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #5April 21, 2008, 02:28:34 pm

swagboy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:28:34 pm »
Hmmmm.... thanks everyone for the advice.

The asking price is $3000 obo, and he seems keen to get rid of it. I don't really want to get into an engine swap, but if I dump a used motor in the thing I'm ahead by probably $4-5K on a comparable running Beetle, I think.

OK, time to research engine swaps.

Cheers!

Reply #6April 21, 2008, 04:03:28 pm

burnt_servo

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:03:28 pm »
if your interested in the car , offer him 2000.00 , and complain about how much it will cost you to tow it home ......  
then see if he comes down to around 2500 or so .....
1990 jetta , tweaked pump , tweaked turbo , ported head  2.5inch exhaust .

1993 dodge w250 , diesel ... removing the dead moose parts .

Reply #7April 21, 2008, 08:20:34 pm

stewardc

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »
I warned you dude....run away.

Reply #8April 21, 2008, 09:15:38 pm

ricosuave

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:15:38 pm »
swagboy, I would argue that if you are willing to get your hands dirty, and you know that the new beetle is a pain to work on, and expensive in much more ways than a comparable jetta or golf, then go ahead and buy it if you think you can get it cheap.  if you have diesel engine experience, it sounds like this could be your ticket into knowing your car intimately.

you could probalby pick up a used engine cheap, or if you want to tear into the old one and find out what is wrong, im with the others on this, you probably only need to put a couple or 3 thou into it, so maybe for 5K total, you could have a decent start into tdis.

that also having been said, I know the prices for used TDIs out on your side of the continent is way way less than mine (western canada) so, do some price checks too and see if you can find a decent running one, well maintained, etc for about the same price.  if you can, then walk away from this, if you cant, then this might be the deal for you, IF you are willing to put some time and $$$ into it.

maybe its worth the ~150-200 to get it towed into a shop and inspected?

PS totally low ball him, if he accepts, youre laughing.  if not, he may soon come around later.
Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax - :)
Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI - :(
"Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"   :P

Reply #9April 22, 2008, 07:20:31 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 07:20:31 am »
Moved to the proper forum
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com