Author Topic: Exhaust Gas Temps on 1.6D (non turbo)  (Read 3671 times)

June 01, 2004, 11:30:24 am

racer_x

• Junior

Exhaust Gas Temps on 1.6D (non turbo)
« on: June 01, 2004, 11:30:24 am »
Does anyone know what kind of EGT's these engines run?

I've got some 1 3/4" tubing that's just getting in my way, and I was thinking about bending it up to fit my 1984 Jetta diesel (normally asthmatic). I've got the tools to do mandrel bends on 1 3/4" tubing, so that's not a problem. I'd use a single piece between the header and the muffler (the rear axle and tank are out of the car right now, so that's not a problem either). I know 1 3/4" isn't the best size to use, but it beats the stock 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" pipes that are on the thing right now.

The tubing is light weight 6061-T6 aluminum. It weighs about half what the stock pipes weigh. But it melts somewhere betwwen 950F and 1050F. I'm wondering if it will work downstream from the header or if it's just going to melt off before I get to the end of the driveway (I have a 1/3 mile long driveway with some steep hills). I've got an Autotech Tri-Y header on the car (great junkyard score), so the exhaust probably cools a bit quicker as it goes down the pipes than it would with the standard cast iron manifold.

Does anyone know what the normally asthmatic 1.6 (or 1.5) liter diesels run for exhaust temps?

Reply #1June 01, 2004, 11:58:00 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 11:58:00 am »
i don't know the exact numbers off-hand, but i have seen them printed before and a melting point of around 1000F seems a little low. 1200F might be about as low as i'd consider...

sorry i can't give you as concise an answer as we are accustomed to getting from you!!  :roll:  :)

Reply #2June 01, 2004, 12:07:21 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 12:07:21 pm »
FSP_GTD has and aluminum exhaust. Ask him.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #3June 01, 2004, 02:21:12 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 02:21:12 pm »
Don't know but I'd suspect the NA diesel's exhaust temps would be close but a little bit less than the turbo diesels.  The 1.6lTD runs pre-turbine EGTS of 1500 deg. F and 1300 deg. F post-turbine.

I am running some aluminum pieces on my exhaust, but it's only under the car at around the shifter boot or farther back (at the end tailpipe also.) so there is an opporunity for things to cool off.  Also my EGTs are much cooler with a large exhaust system and intercooler.  So far the aluminum is working OK (I have done some autocrossing and highway driving on it) no fracturing, melting, bending, etc. so far.

But I also haven't done a real good test yet that would really put the temps into it (IE: powering up a long mountain grade on a long road-trip.)  It is 6061-T6.  The local muffler shop was even able to cold-work it a little bit (but a couple bends into one piece, and flared the ends for slip-joint connections.)  It wasn't as hard to cold work as I thought it might be!  It is much lighter than the 304 stainless pipe it replaced (my main reason for experimenting with the aluminum.)  A 1.6lNA works well with 2.0" OD exhaust system.  (2.25" works as well and gives better upgradeability for a turbo also.)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #4June 01, 2004, 05:26:24 pm

racer_x

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 05:26:24 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
Don't know but I'd suspect the NA diesel's exhaust temps would be close but a little bit less than the turbo diesels.  The 1.6lTD runs pre-turbine EGTS of 1500 deg. F and 1300 deg. F post-turbine.

I am running some aluminum pieces on my exhaust, but it's only under the car at around the shifter boot or farther back (at the end tailpipe also.) so there is an opporunity for things to cool off.  Also my EGTs are much cooler with a large exhaust system and intercooler.  So far the aluminum is working OK (I have done some autocrossing and highway driving on it) no fracturing, melting, bending, etc. so far.

But I also haven't done a real good test yet that would really put the temps into it (IE: powering up a long mountain grade on a long road-trip.)  It is 6061-T6.  The local muffler shop was even able to cold-work it a little bit (but a couple bends into one piece, and flared the ends for slip-joint connections.)  It wasn't as hard to cold work as I thought it might be!  It is much lighter than the 304 stainless pipe it replaced (my main reason for experimenting with the aluminum.)  A 1.6lNA works well with 2.0" OD exhaust system.  (2.25" works as well and gives better upgradeability for a turbo also.)

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll try it. I'll be starting with the aluminum after the header flex jointl, about half way between the shifter boot and the firewall, and I was going to run it all the way to the tail pipe outlet.

I've also got an old aluminum Supertrapp with a 1.75" ID inlet from an old 3 wheel ATV I used to have. That will slip right on the end of my pipe. I'll probably need a few more plates for it (less restriction, not quite as quiet), but those are easy enough to get.  If I had any 2" material and a 2" die set for my bender, I'd consider that, but I have a 1.75" die set for the bender and the 1.75" material is already here (a 10 foot scrap from a previous project, basically free), so I'll try that first.

Heck, if the front part of the pipe melts, I'll just cut off enough for a piece of stainless to go a little beyond the melted part and re-flare it.